Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Lag Time Topic: Ranking The Buckeyes (2017-2018)
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 24, 2017

The Bucks are taking a calculated risk by inserting McKenna at 149 and shuffling Micah to 157. Both wrestlers have proven themselves as high AA competitors at their previous weights. Both are obviously outstanding. But how will they respond to the moves up? My guess is they'll be fine. But it is something that all of us will watch closely.

Hayes is talented but unproven at the upper echelon level of 141 pounds. How will he stack up at this competitive weight class? And Campbell is a wild card as well. He's obviously good. But how good? Will he improve enough in the Buckeye room to go from good to great?

Historically speaking, this appears on paper to be the best Bucks team in history. I am excited to watch them compete. And I'm pissed beyond belief that the NCAAs in Cleveland are on St Pat's Day.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on August 24, 2017

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"
Pletcher at 133 is the most under the radar, intriguing fella in the line-up to me. The kid just has fire running through him. He was a very near miss up at weight and as competitive as they come. That doesn't happen in Div I NCAA wrestling. "

Pletcher is intriguing to me because his weight cut was minimal compared to everyone else in the 141# weight class. He'll be shaving off an additional 8#, how does that affect him during the course of a season. With Gross, Micic & Brock being the top dogs at this weight starting the season, there's plenty of opportunity for him to quickly ascend the rankings."

Well said, Dwight from State Farm. That is precisely the essence of my own line of thinking. Weight class composition has to be the basis for ranking them, and where each Buckeye stands in that Composition. Personally, I think Pletcher is situated very well for the season ahead.tons of upside for him to ascend quickly.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on September 6, 2017

"

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"

"
Pletcher at 133 is the most under the radar, intriguing fella in the line-up to me. The kid just has fire running through him. He was a very near miss up at weight and as competitive as they come. That doesn't happen in Div I NCAA wrestling. "

Pletcher is intriguing to me because his weight cut was minimal compared to everyone else in the 141# weight class. He'll be shaving off an additional 8#, how does that affect him during the course of a season. With Gross, Micic & Brock being the top dogs at this weight starting the season, there's plenty of opportunity for him to quickly ascend the rankings."

Well said, Dwight from State Farm. That is precisely the essence of my own line of thinking. Weight class composition has to be the basis for ranking them, and where each Buckeye stands in that Composition. Personally, I think Pletcher is situated very well for the season ahead.tons of upside for him to ascend quickly."

Pletcher ranked #9 on Flo; NaTo #1.

Cory Surles added to this discussion on September 6, 2017

Quote from Britt Malinsky's post:

"

Quote from Cory Surles's post:

"Snyder
Moore
Bojo
Tomasello
McKenna
Martin
Micah
Hayes
Campbell"

Does Pletcher no longer exist?"

I hope so!!! Will fix lol

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on September 6, 2017

I was going to do this - but I almost felt "dirty" when I started so I stopped. Seemed strange to rank such tough guys so low.

I see 9 hammers and one Thor's Hammer.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on September 7, 2017

McKenna starts out with a #7.

Is Jake Ryan still wrestling?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on September 7, 2017

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"McKenna starts out with a #7.

Is Jake Ryan still wrestling?"

I have seen elsewhere that Ryan is still wrestling but is coming back from multiple injuries and can't do a whole lot.

Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on September 8, 2017

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"

"McKenna starts out with a #7.

Is Jake Ryan still wrestling?"

I have seen elsewhere that Ryan is still wrestling but is coming back from multiple injuries and can't do a whole lot."

Pretty sure it was stated that he is taking the year off to heal from injuries.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on September 13, 2017

Bo ranked #3. I am assuming Hall has grown...

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on September 13, 2017

Zahid is tough and M. Hall only can grow into the weight. Winning 174 as a freshman is astounding even with some controversy. This will be an interesting weight if Bo is health.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on October 23, 2017

It seems the tOSU room is getting loaded up; a few years ago it often appeared they were running a skeleton crew.

Hank, what are your thoughts on the 125 lbs. situation going forward these days?

Matt Mace added to this discussion on October 23, 2017

Allow me to geek out and drop some Bob P stream of consciousness for a minute...

Although it seems pretty likely that Carr is a future AA at least, and possibly a National Champion. Sasso also seems likely to become a future AA. With such a solid recruiting class, tOSU joins other programs like Oklahoma St and PSU that have quality student athletes that will never start. It is a good problem to have. If Carr had joined the Buckeyes it would have been even more complicated.
So assuming all incoming freshman will redshirt in 2019/20, Sasso projects to 149, which would mean Ke-Shawn would have to wrestle 141 and Pletcher would need to stay at 133. Will Ke-Shawn move to 149 this year and next year and then move to 141 his senior year?
This seems to be the best lineup though, because if you project Sasso to 157 or 165, that means Pletch and Hayes go 141 and 149 and one of the 125s bump to 133. None of which are future AAs unless Brakan Mead or incoming recruit, Nate Keaton, jump levels. Mattox would wrestle the opposite of Sasso at 57 or 65. Rocky Jordan would probably be challenging for the spot at 165 or challenge Romero at 174.
OR Romero moves up to 184 after Myles graduates, but then Ethan Smith would be left out of the starting lineup.
Of course, this is not a bad thing. Even though these guys are all super athletes in high school it is unlikely that they will be national qualifiers or AA contenders as redshirt freshman. To crack this lineup that is becoming a prerequisite.

Had Carr committed, I wonder if Sasso would have.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 23, 2017

"It seems the tOSU room is getting loaded up; a few years ago it often appeared they were running a skeleton crew.

Hank, what are your thoughts on the 125 lbs. situation going forward these days?"

Generally speaking, it seems as if the Bucks are recruiting on two levels--starters and depth. This was not really the case prior to the arrival of Anthony Ralph. Maybe it's coincidence but Ralph did great work filling the roster at NDC. Quite frankly, I think Ralph was hired for one reason--recruiting. He seems to be dmn good at it.

I like the 125 situation a lot better than in the past. Not sure the Bucks hit any homeruns but Heinselman is an intriguing prospect and the smaller Decatur arrives a year later. Those two plus Mead should ensure that the Bucks have a quality starter at this weight. The Koontz brothers can only help.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 23, 2017

Quote from Matt Mace's post:

"Allow me to geek out and drop some Bob P stream of consciousness for a minute...

Although it seems pretty likely that Carr is a future AA at least, and possibly a National Champion. Sasso also seems likely to become a future AA. With such a solid recruiting class, tOSU joins other programs like Oklahoma St and PSU that have quality student athletes that will never start. It is a good problem to have. If Carr had joined the Buckeyes it would have been even more complicated.
So assuming all incoming freshman will redshirt in 2019/20, Sasso projects to 149, which would mean Ke-Shawn would have to wrestle 141 and Pletcher would need to stay at 133. Will Ke-Shawn move to 149 this year and next year and then move to 141 his senior year?
This seems to be the best lineup though, because if you project Sasso to 157 or 165, that means Pletch and Hayes go 141 and 149 and one of the 125s bump to 133. None of which are future AAs unless Brakan Mead or incoming recruit, Nate Keaton, jump levels. Mattox would wrestle the opposite of Sasso at 57 or 65. Rocky Jordan would probably be challenging for the spot at 165 or challenge Romero at 174.
OR Romero moves up to 184 after Myles graduates, but then Ethan Smith would be left out of the starting lineup.
Of course, this is not a bad thing. Even though these guys are all super athletes in high school it is unlikely that they will be national qualifiers or AA contenders as redshirt freshman. To crack this lineup that is becoming a prerequisite.

Had Carr committed, I wonder if Sasso would have."

Not one mention of IRONMAN. #Fail

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on October 23, 2017

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Not one mention of IRONMAN. #Fail"

THE Ironman, Niemann! #GlassHouses

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next