Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: New Weights 79kg and 92kg
Cory Surles added to this discussion on August 25, 2017

The new weights have been announced. Looks great for our log jam of studs at the top...Should help the David Taylors and Dakes of the US!

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/new-weight-categories-2018-host-cities-among-wrestlings-bureau-announcements

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on August 25, 2017

Looks like NaTo made the right decision dropping back down.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on August 25, 2017

For the most part I like the new freestyle weights (still baffling to me why Greco isn't using the same weights). The Olympic years will still be a logjam, but for 2018 and 2019, we might finally be able to make everyone happy if the following happens:

74 kg: Burroghs
79 kg: Dake
86 kg: Taylor
92 kg: Cox

With two morning of weigh-ins starting next year, I think it would be tough for Dake to make 74 and for Cox to make 86.

Cory Surles added to this discussion on August 25, 2017

Quote from Jeff Streu's post:

"For the most part I like the new freestyle weights (still baffling to me why Greco isn't using the same weights). The Olympic years will still be a logjam, but for 2018 and 2019, we might finally be able to make everyone happy if the following happens:

74 kg: Burroghs
79 kg: Dake
86 kg: Taylor
92 kg: Cox

With two morning of weigh-ins starting next year, I think it would be tough for Dake to make 74 and for Cox to make 86."

Exactly!!

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 25, 2017

Cox already announced he is going 92KG. I'd guess he'd drop back to 86kg in 2020 if he is still competing.

I wonder if this is kind of a risk because he could possibly medal in the Rio games and the three world championships and NOT get to sit out until the finals of the 2020 trials because he'd be moving weights from where he won the world medals.

Me personally, I thought D.T.'s comments today about Cox weren't the best but that it is getting blown way out of proportion in our hype-everything easily offended culture. BUT I would pay pay-per-view $ to watch them go at it the next time they are in a room together because J'den seemed a little fired up about it.

In all honesty, I was thinking what D.T. tweeted. In fact, I was yelling at my computer screen during class, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING. YOU ARE LOSING! GO! GO!" Kids looked at me like I had a third eye growing out of my forehead. :)

► Add to the Discussion