Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Do we need to discuss Taylor's comments on Cox?
Jeff Streu added to this discussion on August 30, 2017

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"That being said Cox is a beast and unseating him is a tall order. Maybe he (D.T.) should consider marrying abroad and getting dual citizenship.

Puerto Rico is a lovely place. :)"

Not a bad idea, but D.T. already got married to Jimmy Kennedy's sister a year or so ago!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Matt Mace added to this discussion on August 30, 2017

I wrote on here last week that I thought Cox was not performing up to his ability and that I thought Taylor would have had a better result, probably even a gold medal. With that said, D.T. showed some character issues when he wrote that J'Den's performance made him sick. How insulting! Cox handled this with all class. At least for me, sometimes what a person does outside of sport means more to me than on the field or mat. If these two ever meet again, I'll be in J'Den's corner. I think David is an incredible athlete, but he let's his passion for the sport cloud his judgement and affect his character. He STILL hasn't come out and apologized publicly.

Things like this can also affect his marketability. Hmm, doubt I would buy his shoes now. I'll buy my kid the Nike Snydermans when they come out the day after he graduates.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 30, 2017

Quote from Matt Mace's post:

"Hmm, doubt I would buy his shoes now. I'll buy my kid the Nike Snydermans when they come out the day after he graduates."

#BringBackOregonWrestling

posted for Mark Niemann

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I get that he's salty, but there's a way to be a person. My real issue with it is I don't see how anyone honest (even Taylor) could think he SHOULD be the guy? Cox is the 3X NCAA champion, Cox is the Olympic bronze medalist. Cox is the World bronze medalist. Cox beat Taylor at the trials...not just once, but two out of three. If you going to criticize the guy winning medals in competitions you can't even qualify for, you better have a good reason, or argument, or something. I'm just not seeing it."

Argument for Taylor is that the last match, after the injury was reffed poorly at best. If you watch FS at all, anybody going back that much is put on shot clock at best and given caution & 2 at worst. Cox got called for neither. Taylor was only guy put on shot clock in that match.

D.T. shouldn't have tweeted what he did - it did reak of saltiness - but in any other sport, this kind of tweet is given basically no attention - right/wrong/or indifferent.

These are two big boys who can work it out on their own - if they so choose.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Rex: Next world championships will have two more wt classes--79 and 92 kilos. Cox is likely to slide up to 92 so Taylor can fit in at 86. And Kyle Dake can move up to 79. At least on paper these moves would make sense."

Hank - Cox already said he's going 92kg -- but for 2020, I fully expect him to be back at 86kg for the Oly Trials.

The move to 79KG makes sense for Dake, but I haven't seen anything confirming or denying he's going up.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on August 30, 2017

A World Championship is an amazing achievement and I have seen the past argument that it is more difficult to win a world championship than Olympic. It is no longer true in terms of opportunities.

I would say when the weight classes at the Olympics are fewer (4 if I am reading this right) than a World Championships as of next year, then talent available for limited spots is governed by supply/demand. The supply of Olympic medals is limited and demand is overwhelming.

In the context of wrestler's being competitive and wanting the biggest prize. The Olympics made themselves truly select by limiting medal opportunities. The Olympic Gold represents the biggest feat in wrestling.

This isn't baseball where you get a fat contract by earning some excellent stats. These guys are putting all their chips on the table during some of their most productive years and knowing only one spot gets truly rewarded if they perform at a high enough level to beat everyone.

A dynamic of the situation.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on August 30, 2017

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Argument for Taylor is that the last match, after the injury was reffed poorly at best. If you watch FS at all, anybody going back that much is put on shot clock at best and given caution & 2 at worst. Cox got called for neither. Taylor was only guy put on shot clock in that match...

...These are two big boys who can work it out on their own - if they so choose."

That's kind of my point. They already have "worked it out on their own". Cox won. This is classic sour grapes. And the "blame the ref" argument is negated by the two out of three format, in my opinion.

"

"Argument for Taylor is that the last match, after the injury was reffed poorly at best. If you watch FS at all, anybody going back that much is put on shot clock at best and given caution & 2 at worst. Cox got called for neither. Taylor was only guy put on shot clock in that match...

...These are two big boys who can work it out on their own - if they so choose."

That's kind of my point. They already have "worked it out on their own". Cox won. This is classic sour grapes. And the "blame the ref" argument is negated by the two out of three format, in my opinion."

I think the mat ref needs to initiate the passivity and/or caution & 2 calls.

Here are the guys from Flo discussing it: http://www.flowrestling.org/video/1248880-the-jden-D.T.-saga#.WacDJrEpChA

Matt Mace added to this discussion on August 30, 2017

"D.T. shouldn't have tweeted what he did - it did reak of saltiness - but in any other sport, this kind of tweet is given basically no attention - right/wrong/or indifferent.

These are two big boys who can work it out on their own - if they so choose."

In what sport do athletes claim that the performance of their teammate makes them sick? I can't ever recall something as inflammatory. Even when Peyton Manning called his kicker an idiot kicker it made big news. If anything this is being belittled.
Any examples?

Quote from Matt Mace's post:

"

"D.T. shouldn't have tweeted what he did - it did reak of saltiness - but in any other sport, this kind of tweet is given basically no attention - right/wrong/or indifferent.

These are two big boys who can work it out on their own - if they so choose."

In what sport do athletes claim that the performance of their teammate makes them sick? I can't ever recall something as inflammatory. Even when Peyton Manning called his kicker an idiot kicker it made big news. If anything this is being belittled.
Any examples?"

They are "teammates" only in that they wrestle for the same country. They are competitors.

Competitors have often talked about others.

Should he have tweeted it, I wouldn't have. Did it come of as salty. Yep. Do I think it's that big a deal. Nope.

But I respect the opinions of those contrary to mine as well and can understand how they have the opinion they do.

Ok - under conspiracy theory, it was pointed out to me that the ref of the JC/D.T. 3rd match is the guy sitting next to Cox in the USA World Champion Team pic. I told the conspiracy theory man he has lost his mind -- but he's been telling me since the trials that that ref doesnt like D.T. and intentionally called the match in JC's favor. He called me and said, "look at the picture. That ref is sitting right next to Cox. I'm right." Yes, I do think it's crazy but I know at least one mega wrestling fan that thinks contrary. He is entertaining though. 😂

Rex Holman added to this discussion on August 30, 2017

Just watched the match, any idea who he is calling out after the match.

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"Just watched the match, any idea who he is calling out after the match."

I assume you are talking about the third match between Cox and Taylor, if so, I had a discussion with Garnett on twitter, he said it was directed towards Bill Zadick.

Last edited by Brady Hiatt on August 31, 2017; edited 1 time in total

Rex Holman added to this discussion on August 31, 2017

Yes, referring to the third match. That makes sense to the theory as National Teams coaches know who they want on the team. Preference influences actions.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on August 31, 2017

So, are you saying that Taylor got "robbed" and Cox shouldn't have made the world team?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 31, 2017

"So, are you saying that Taylor got "robbed" and Cox shouldn't have made the world team?"

For me, who has no idea of the inner workings of USA Wrestling, say nope. I do believe that the 3rd match, especially post injury, was officiated, at best, very poorly.

If officiated correctly does Taylor win? Not sure. I did think that Taylor made tactical errors in that match that he should be kicking himself for as well.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next