Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: Do we need to discuss Taylor's comments on Cox?
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 31, 2017

Brady--like you, I think the officiating was terrible in the final match between Taylor and Cox. But Taylor stopped wrestling! As a former coach, it was an article of faith that you told your wrestler when his opponent was taking injury time to expect that the match was going to continue. You wanted your wrestler ready. I honestly think Cael and D.T. thought Cox would not continue. Seemed like they made a remarkable mistake.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 31, 2017

Hank - I tend to agree with you. He didn't wrestle that smart, that's for sure. When he tied it up 3-3, he had criteria. It was time to wrestle like a foreign wrestler. He wrestled like an American.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on August 31, 2017

But doesn't that all lend itself to the fact that he wasn't the better guy that day?

Rex Holman added to this discussion on August 31, 2017

Robbing is when points are awarded and then mysteriously get taken away. i.e. Cary Kolat was robbed at the World Championships.

This isn't a case of robbing.

A case could be made for cherrypicking what is or isn't stalling.

Gutsy effort by Cox complicated by inability to resume wrestling in timely manner due to injury.

I've seen referees grab wrestlers by the arm and drag back to center or simply ding for stalling. It might have impacted the outcome had it been so.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on September 1, 2017

the fact that stalling wasn't called is without a doubt controversial,if not negligent, but is the implication here that it might have been premeditated? Excuse my ignorance, but I'm always interested in conspiracy theories! Is there a personal connection between Cox and the ref or Cox and Zaddick? I don't read the other forums so I tend to get lost in the hearsay.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on September 1, 2017

I have zero idea what might, or might not, have happened during that match but I do have some very clear thoughts on situations like this.
I would NEVER officiate a match where I knew either of the contestants other than for their on the mat accomplishments. I mean, I might know of a wrestler but I wouldn't know what they look like when they come on the mat. This is what happened the first time I officiated a Logan Stieber match. I knew his name but had no idea who he was until I signed the bout sheet.
Furthermore, in any of the tournaments where I am "in charge", I never have any of my guys officiate a match where they have a connection with a particular school. Usually this is a relative who coaches or wrestles for a that school but it could mean that I keep the official out of an entire weight class.
I just don't need the headaches that could arise from a potential conflict.
I want to stress that I have great confidence that the officials can call the match correctly BUT if anyone might see a match as anything other than fair, why do it?
Any official who does a match for personal glory should get out.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on September 1, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"But doesn't that all lend itself to the fact that he wasn't the better guy that day?"

An strong and logical argument can be made for that thought. In this case, Cox was allowed to go in reverse - and was surprisinlgy never put on the shot clock. Taylor was. Cox, being allowed to do so, did what he had to do. Taylor was pressing / chasing him which led directly to one of the step out points when he slipped and went OB.

Sidebar here -- if there is a FS ref out there please answer this. I watched this match with a FS ref to get his take on the match - he said that Taylor shouldn't have been called out on that sequence because he was on his knees when he went out. I'm not knowledgeable on that rule (I thought it was correct call) - but is the ref correct or am I?

I believe these two guys are very equal. When two guys are equal, officiating can have a huge impact on the final outcome. Whoever won was going to get my full, from in front of my computer, support and cheers in Paris. I'm pumped that Cox got a medal not just because he's an American, but because, more importantly, he seems like a great young man.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on September 2, 2017

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"But doesn't that all lend itself to the fact that he wasn't the better guy that day?"

An strong and logical argument can be made for that thought. In this case, Cox was allowed to go in reverse - and was surprisinlgy never put on the shot clock. Taylor was. Cox, being allowed to do so, did what he had to do. Taylor was pressing / chasing him which led directly to one of the step out points when he slipped and went OB.

Sidebar here -- if there is a FS ref out there please answer this. I watched this match with a FS ref to get his take on the match - he said that Taylor shouldn't have been called out on that sequence because he was on his knees when he went out. I'm not knowledgeable on that rule (I thought it was correct call) - but is the ref correct or am I?

I believe these two guys are very equal. When two guys are equal, officiating can have a huge impact on the final outcome. Whoever won was going to get my full, from in front of my computer, support and cheers in Paris. I'm pumped that Cox got a medal not just because he's an American, but because, more importantly, he seems like a great young man."

I'm not a ref, but step out points are only given when you go out of bounds on the feet, not on your knees (here's a link to the example video that the USA Wrestling rulebook gives for par terre no points stepout: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwikwLofPZTIcDJ6a2RtVkZMUm8/view).

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on September 6, 2017

Seems they've talked it out and according to Cox, "it's all good".

http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/PortalPlayer.jsp?TIM=1504716429411&twSessionId=bxwqdybkjejdjad&videoId=596476009

Roe Fox added to this discussion on September 6, 2017

I didn't hear the word "apology" anywhere but if Cox said it's fine who am I to say otherwise? Cox handled himself very well, even humbly.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3