Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Confession - I found myself rooting for the Japanese wrestler in the gold medal match against Gilman
Reed Vetovitz added to this discussion on August 27, 2017

Last Friday, I recorded the TV broadcasts of the medal matches that were on Verizon Fios. I stayed off the internet during the day to stay in the dark about the results. I was surprised to see that Gilman made it to the gold medal match. Halfway through the first period, I found myself rooting against him. I knew my hatred of Iowa Hawkeye wrestling runs deep, but thought that maybe I could put that aside. I couldn't. I'm sure the fact that Gilman is especially unlikeable had something to do with it. In hindsight, I'm glad he did so well to contribute hugely to the US winning the team title.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Confession - I found myself rooting for the Japanese wrestler in the gold medal match against Gilman
Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on August 27, 2017

Quote from Reed Vetovitz's post:

"Last Friday, I recorded the TV broadcasts of the medal matches that were on Verizon Fios. I stayed off the internet during the day to stay in the dark about the results. I was surprised to see that Gilman made it to the gold medal match. Halfway through the first period, I found myself rooting against him. I knew my hatred of Iowa Hawkeye wrestling runs deep, but thought that maybe I could put that aside. I couldn't. I'm sure the fact that Gilman is especially unlikeable had something to do with it. In hindsight, I'm glad he did so well to contribute hugely to the US winning the team title."

Do you think Gilman's persona is a charade because he's an Iowa guy? It seems guys like Ramos, Metcalf and Mocco are growing on me, even when I had a large disdain for them in the past. It's like Gable/Brands send these guys to acting school akin to the WWE to learn how to sound like a schmuck. And then they get out in the real world and you find out that's not who they really are. And even if I couldn't pull myself to root against him and his Iowa dumbed down ways, I do get it.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 28, 2017

Don't beat yourself up too much.

With a purchase of JB Elites, you shall be forgiven. Go in peace.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on August 28, 2017

I'm really interested to see where the Iowa program goes over the next five years. Their best and most high profile wrestler is, by all accounts, a good kid. He's hard nosed, but never cheap. He's quotable, but never an ass. Spencer Lee is going to lead this team. I wonder if he'll change the culture or assimilate?

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on August 28, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I'm really interested to see where the Iowa program goes over the next five years. Their best and most high profile wrestler is, by all accounts, a good kid. He's hard nosed, but never cheap. He's quotable, but never an ass. Spencer Lee is going to lead this team. I wonder if he'll change the culture or assimilate?"

I've wondered this too. He's just a likable kid! It struck me as funny when Iowa won out on him. I didn't see that as being a culture fit for him at all. Seemed more like a Cael or TR fit.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on August 28, 2017

Although I never liked Gilman and his attitude, I found the match very interesting. Gilman took all the shots, got behind 4-0 on some counter moves by the Japanese wrestler. It would have been very interesting, if in that last second period scramble, Gilman got the TD and 2 point exposure to tie the match, because then the defensive/counter Japanese wrestler wound be forced to actually shoot for a TD to win.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 30, 2017

Reed - did you watch the Flo documentary on Gilman?

Reed Vetovitz added to this discussion on September 8, 2017

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Reed - did you watch the Flo documentary on Gilman?"

No I haven't. I will. I'm guessing I'll like him more after I get to know more about him.

I've watched the Flo doc on Terry Brands and it did slightly soften my dislike of Tom & Terry. However, their apparent lack of sportsmanship and respect for NCAA opponents really bothers me.

► Add to the Discussion