Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Suriano 2.0: A New Hope
Matt Mace added to this discussion on September 12, 2017

Something struck me as weird too about Cael's response to the Suriano injury. Cael really downplayed it after the match. Insinuating that Suriano is young and dramatic and the injury isn't really that bad. I remember thinking at the time that he was trying to protect his wrestler somehow and downplay the injury so opponents wouldn't target it. Could have been part of a bigger issue in retrospect.
I can't find any video confirming my memory, does anyone else recall such a thing?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on September 12, 2017

Guys - I tried to find the video but can't. I just recall Cael being very flippant, like looking at Suriano and thinking 'here we go again' or 'get up'.

Obviously, nothing based on fact, just an impression I had in the moment. When the transfer rumors hit, I found myself thinking it made sense.

Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on September 12, 2017

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Guys - I tried to find the video but can't. I just recall Cael being very flippant, like looking at Suriano and thinking 'here we go again' or 'get up'.

Obviously, nothing based on fact, just an impression I had in the moment. When the transfer rumors hit, I found myself thinking it made sense."

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/1110789-125-lbs-nick-piccininni-ok-state-vs-nick-suriano-psu#.WbgIsvmGPIU

Injury happens at about the 5:25ish mark..

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on September 12, 2017

Ethan,

Cael came to his wrestler's aide, attended to the injury to the extent that a coach can, and pulled the plug when it was obvious Suriano couldn't go any longer.

What did he do wrong?

Reed Vetovitz added to this discussion on September 12, 2017

Quote from Reed Vetovitz's post:

"

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Do you recall when he was injured? I thought Cael's in-match response was odd, even at that time when I assumed all was great with the relationship.

In retrospect, I think that 30 seconds illustrated that there was strain on the coach-athlete relationship."

My memory of the PSU match with OK State is foggy, but I do remember thinking that Cael should have defaulted Suriano's match when it was obvious that his wrestler was seriously injured. Instead, he sent him back out to wrestle with a seriously injured leg."

Upon watching the video again, I believe Cael acted appropriately. It appears that Suriano really wanted to continue. Cael gave him a chance, then pulled the plug soon after action resumed when it was clear that Suriano was crippled.

Based on the way he was limping after injury time and wrestling when action resumed, Suriano was clearly badly injured. It looked like the toe of his shoe got caught on the mat and his weight came down inside of it. Unlike an ankle injury where your ankle rolls toward the outside, the ankle can't roll nearly as much toward the inside before straining/tearing/breaking occurs (I'm not an orthopedic doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night).

Matt Mace added to this discussion on September 13, 2017

I find Suriano's response really odd immediately after the injury. He's hopping around on one foot, shrugging his shoulders and saying I broke my ankle. Just casually saying, I broke my ankle. Anyone else reading his lips? Thinking back, I think that is what Cael was talking about. He mentioned that Suriano had not really dealt with injury in the past and he exaggerated the extent of the injury. Suriano did not break his ankle and wasn't in a boot leading up to Nationals. I am by no means saying he wasn't injured or that he wasn't tough enough! I'm just saying maybe some of these things that Cael said could have been misconstrued by an extremely sensitive young man or over-protective father.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on September 13, 2017

I don't disagree with much that's been said here. Where I struggle is that none of this adds up to the Big Ten waving its transfer rules. That's the only part of this story that is still unclear to me. Kid wants to go home? Ok. Wrestler/coach conflict? It happens. Pain in the ass parent? Whatever. I just don't see the reason for waving the rule. Am alone on this?

For what it's worth, I'm glad the Big Ten chose to wave the rule. It certainly makes the weight class more intriguing this season.

Last edited by Michael Rodriguez on September 13, 2017; edited 1 time in total

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on September 13, 2017

I recall Cael stating that Nick suriano would wrestling at the Big Ten and National tournament confidently. I have to consider that the tension came from his injury and how Penn State handled it. Whatever that may mean?

Rex Holman added to this discussion on September 13, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"
I admit to having a strong bias against wrestlers with meddling parents and that's the rumor regarding Suriano. Doesn't mean Cael was right or wrong. Just a personal issue for me. For that reason, I'm seeing Suriano in a negative light."

I am on the other end of the spectrum which influences the way I think about it. Too many coaches saying you are going to do it the way I say regardless of your strengths and talents. Everyday athletics reinforces my view on this matter. JT Barrett is very good at some things, yet the offense that is created for him is done in such a way that it brings to surface his weaknesses.

The athlete may have some issues and it is the coaches' job to positively influence the athlete and figure them out, a lot of coaches won't or can't.

My time at ASU shaped my thoughts about coaches as well. It loosely mimics the Suriano situation. Thus, the reason for my projecting.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on September 13, 2017

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"
I am on the other end of the spectrum which influences the way I think about it. Too many coaches saying you are going to do it the way I say regardless of your strengths and talents. Everyday athletics reinforces my view on this matter. JT Barrett is very good at some things, yet the offense that is created for him is done in such a way that it brings to surface his weaknesses.

The athlete may have some issues and it is the coaches' job to positively influence the athlete and figure them out, a lot of coaches won't or can't..."

Great points. This is why I love this site.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on September 14, 2017

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"
I admit to having a strong bias against wrestlers with meddling parents and that's the rumor regarding Suriano. Doesn't mean Cael was right or wrong. Just a personal issue for me. For that reason, I'm seeing Suriano in a negative light."

The athlete may have some issues and it is the coaches' job to positively influence the athlete and figure them out, a lot of coaches won't or can't.

My time at ASU shaped my thoughts about coaches as well. It loosely mimics the Suriano situation. Thus, the reason for my projecting."

Rex: is there anyway for you to elaborate on what the issue was and how you disagreed with it? I'm not asking to throw anybody under the bus but I'm interested in what the actual dispute was.

I've also heard the rumors about a meddling parent in the Suriano situation. It sure seemed like everything was going along smoothly at PSU when Suriano was ranked number two and had only one loss. It only seem to go south after the injury. IF the meddling occurred as a result of a dispute over how to medically treat one's kid, I think they would have every right on that issue to be involved.

Cael also took a lot of heat in the wrestling community for running the string out through the bracketing at NCAA's when he probably knew Suriano couldn't go. He has done a few things this year that have tainted his reputation, in my opinion.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on September 14, 2017

This has been an interesting year in terms of transfers. Both McKenna and Suriano are major NCAA point scorers. I am glad that Suriano leaving PSU has opened the door to the team race. I think a smaller program might benefit Suriano. He has some issues(obviously by the transfer). but who doesn't. It is a question of whether those issues impact his preparation for the NCAA tournament. If so, they need to be addressed prior to.

McKenna is a proven stud with minimal issue. The culture at OSU is great. I haven't watched enough of him to gather an informed opinion of what he lacks or what could be considered weakness.

As for me. Bobby Douglas hired Melvin Douglas as the assistant coach.

Worst case scenario for me. He didn't like me and communication between us wasn't positive. He was the guy who traveled with us and sat in the chair. Sucked.

My sophomore year went undefeated through the first part of the season, won Vegas, beat Couture 4x during the season (he ended up runner-up). Lost in a February dual against Iowa, Fiser. Got really sick at the end of the season, sprained my ankle 2nd degree and dislocated Right pinky and ring finger during practice. Basically imploded. A lot of things went wrong. Season ended poorly.

Could go into a lot more detail.

When you are winning everything is ok at least on the surface. Even negativity from others can be ignored. But, when things go wrong, it gets really ugly. Someone offering further negativity and derogatory remarks needs to be removed from the equation. The only way to accomplish that is by leaving the situation/relationship.

Ultimately, the culture that surrounds you will determine your trajectory. Couple that with detailed coaching that maximizes strength and minimizes weakness and you get a winner.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on September 14, 2017

Thanks.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2