Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Hayes to 149
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 13, 2017

If I'm reading the tea leaves correctly, Ke-Shawn Hayes will be competing at 149 for Ohio State. That's an interesting development.

Also worth mentioning....McKenna is said to be very impressive in the room. If he is the wrestler the staff thinks he is, the Bucks could have another legit title contender.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on September 13, 2017

If true, I like this move more than the reverse. NCAA tourney points are weighted more towards higher placement. A team full of low AA's will not be enough to knock off PSU in the race for the title. And I feel like McKenna provides the greater punchers chance of finishing higher. And 141 seems to be the better weight for that to occur.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on September 13, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"If I'm reading the tea leaves correctly, Ke-Shawn Hayes will be competing at 149 for Ohio State. That's an interesting development.

Also worth mentioning....McKenna is said to be very impressive in the room. If he is the wrestler the staff thinks he is, the Bucks could have another legit title contender."

The tea leaves that your reading is incorrect. Hayes and McKenna will be wrestling off and that will determine who's 141# and 149#.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on September 13, 2017

I have a question for fans...I know there are a lot of Ohio State fans on this site. If McKenna and (Ohio native) Dean Heil were to meet, would you be pulling for McKenna? Heil has the chance to become the greatest wrestler ever from the the most legendary Ohio high school program. He has operated with class and grit and heart during his runs through three seasons and NCAA Championships. My point being, he's far from a villain.

Does McKenna's transfer make him "your guy" at 141? Is it the color of the uniform...the name on the front of the jersey rather than the back? Full disclosure, I like McKenna a lot. His battles with Heil have been/will be great to watch. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't want Heil to win his third and earn the respect of the wrestling community that seems to have eluded him.

Thoughts?

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on September 13, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I have a question for fans...I know there are a lot of Ohio State fans on this site. If McKenna and (Ohio native) Dean Heil were to meet, would you be pulling for McKenna? Heil has the chance to become the greatest wrestler ever from the the most legendary Ohio high school program. He has operated with class and grit and heart during his runs through three seasons and NCAA Championships. My point being, he's far from a villain.

Does McKenna's transfer make him "your guy" at 141? Is it the color of the uniform...the name on the front of the jersey rather than the back? Full disclosure, I like McKenna a lot. His battles with Heil have been/will be great to watch. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't want Heil to win his third and earn the respect of the wrestling community that seems to have eluded him.

Thoughts?"

Excellent question! And I tend to agree with your sentiment as well. Above all though, I'm a fan of wrestling. And the storyline of Heil nabbong a third title carries greater weight for the sport, I feel. Admittedly, I came out of the womb a Buckeye. But Heil is far from a villain and it's hard to root against a homegrown kid that has played his cards right.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on September 13, 2017

Win-win for me!

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on September 13, 2017

If Buckeyes have team title locked up prior to their meeting, then I don't care. If it's up for grabs, it's Buckeyes 100%

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on September 14, 2017

Heil is an excellent athlete and wrestler, but for whatever reasons he made his choice to leave Ohio and not wrestle for his 'home-state' team. With two championships, you can't really say he made a bad choice.

But, I prefer to root for the Buckeyes. Bo Jordan may never win a NCAA championship, but may finish with four AA finishes of 3rd or higher. In my eyes he is a true Ohio hero.

For a comparison of another sport, there are some Ohio born athletes named Desmond Howard, and Woodson, but I have never liked those guys because of the ugly blue and yellow uniforms that they wore from some team up north. They are not Ohio heroes to me. Decent athletes, but they certainly weren't loyal to their home state and I don't consider them to be Ohio legends.

Just my opinion!

Britt Malinsky added to this discussion on September 14, 2017

Quote from Pat Altvater's post:

"Heil is an excellent athlete and wrestler, but for whatever reasons he made his choice to leave Ohio and not wrestle for his 'home-state' team. With two championships, you can't really say he made a bad choice.

But, I prefer to root for the Buckeyes. Bo Jordan may never win a NCAA championship, but may finish with four AA finishes of 3rd or higher. In my eyes he is a true Ohio hero.

For a comparison of another sport, there are some Ohio born athletes named Desmond Howard, and Woodson, but I have never liked those guys because of the ugly blue and yellow uniforms that they wore from some team up north. They are not Ohio heroes to me. Decent athletes, but they certainly weren't loyal to their home state and I don't consider them to be Ohio legends.

Just my opinion!"

I didn't know Howard and Woodson played baseball for the Traverse City Beach Bums!

Roe Fox added to this discussion on September 14, 2017

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"

"If I'm reading the tea leaves correctly, Ke-Shawn Hayes will be competing at 149 for Ohio State. That's an interesting development.

Also worth mentioning....McKenna is said to be very impressive in the room. If he is the wrestler the staff thinks he is, the Bucks could have another legit title contender."

The tea leaves that your reading is incorrect. Hayes and McKenna will be wrestling off and that will determine who's 141# and 149#."

Does the winner choose to go up or down? I ask because one thought is to go down to avoid Retherford but you still get Heil. The other issue involves all the reports that McKenna has trouble getting to 41 so is 49 more attractive to both? Hayes isn't exactly small, either.

On Michael's question I agree with a Brady, although I would go a little farther and want the local high school kid to get his third if the Buckeyes had it wrapped up. Unless
PSU goes on an early bonus rampage I don't see either wrapping it up early, which could make for a great Saturday night.

Pat: there might be other reasons Heil went to OSU, such as aid package, where he might slot in weight-wise, whether he was a higher priority for Smith than Ryan. I just don't know.

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on September 14, 2017

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"

"

The tea leaves that your reading is incorrect. Hayes and McKenna will be wrestling off and that will determine who's 141# and 149#."

Does the winner choose to go up or down? I ask because one thought is to go down to avoid Retherford but you still get Heil. The other issue involves all the reports that McKenna has trouble getting to 41 so is 49 more attractive to both? Hayes isn't exactly small, either.

On Michael's question I agree with a Brady, although I would go a little farther and want the local high school kid to get his third if the Buckeyes had it wrapped up. Unless
PSU goes on an early bonus rampage I don't see either wrapping it up early, which could make for a great Saturday night.

Pat: there might be other reasons Heil went to OSU, such as aid package, where he might slot in weight-wise, whether he was a higher priority for Smith than Ryan. I just don't know."

The winner will go 141#. McKenna has always been aggressive when it comes to choosing a weight class. Heil said in an interview the reason he didn't go to tOSU was he wasn't recruited by tOSU and his feeling was because they already had Logan Stieber.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on September 14, 2017

I'll root for the hometown boys, especially certain ones, come what may.
Then we have something like Heil vs. Dicamillo.....

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 14, 2017

"

Understood. But Flo has McKenna ranked at 141 and Hayes at 149. Hence my assumption.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on September 14, 2017

[Understood. But Flo has McKenna ranked at 141 and Hayes at 149. Hence my assumption.[/quote]

do u refer to Flo from Progressive insurance? she does seem to know everything.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on September 14, 2017

If McKenna and Heil wrestle for the title there isn't even a shadow of doubt who I will be rooting for.
Ohio guys who leave the state may not be villains but I will always root for the guys who wrestle for in-state schools. McKenna is a Buckeye period. Heil wrestles for a team in Oklahoma.
I drew great satisfaction in the fact that the lineman from Iggy who decommitted from the Buckeyes and went on to play at tsun left college never having won a single game against the Bucks.
Oh, and you may criticize me all you want for having this attitude but I won't apologize.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next