Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Partial Field for OSU wrestlers at U23 World Team Trials
Pat Altvater added to this discussion on October 4, 2017

As most of you are aware, three OSU wrestlers are preparing to enter the U23 USA World Team Trials this weekend. I pieced together a couple of different articles on 'the mat.com' to get an idea of level of competition that our guys are going to be seeing this weekend. NATO, Joey McKenna, and Myles Martin will be there.

Myles Martin's class will be extremely tough. Good luck to all of the OSU wrestlers.

Men’s Freestyle 57 kg
Nathan Tomasello, Ohio RTC, No. 3 on National Team, NCAA champ
Jackson Henson, Sunkist Kids
Mohammed McBryde, NYAC
Tim Lambert, Nebraska RTC
Joshua Rodriguez, Nittany Lion WC
Steve Polakowski, Minnesota Gopher WC
Skyler Petrie, Minnesota Gopher WC
KeVionne Robbins, Choker WC
Gage Curry, DCAC

3rd Toughest Weight Class – Men’s Freestyle 65 kg
This weight class is tough because it is has a lot of talent and is hard to predict. 2014 Junior World silver medalist Joey McKenna, who was a 2016 NCAA All-American for Stanford, has transferred to Ohio State and is preparing with a tough room of top Senior freestylers. McKenna has won Senior level medals in freestyle. Jaydin Eierman of Missouri qualified for the 2017 Senior World Team Trials, and had a great All-American year as a freshman for Mizzou last year. In 2015, Brock Zacherl of Clarion won the UWW Junior World Team Trials, but lost to Joey McKenna in a Special Wrestle-off for the Junior World Team. Zacherl was third in the 2017 University Nationals. Winning a gold at the 2017 University Nationals was Robbie Mathers, who was also eighth in the 2015 U.S. Senior Open. A potential entry is former Cadet World Team member Dalton Brady. Nebraska’s Colton McCrystal, who has been a University freestyle All-American, adds another tough athlete to the mix, along with Campbell’s NCAA qualifier Josh Heil.

Already registered
Joey McKenna, LVWC/TMWC, 2014 Junior World silver medalist
Jaydin Eierman, Missouri RTC, WTT qualifier, 5th 2017 NCAA
Robbie Mathers, Sunkist, 17 University champ
Brock Zacherl, Clarion RTC, 17 University third, 15 Junior WTT champ
Colton McCrystal, Nebraska RTC/Sunkist Kids, 7th in 2016 University Nationals
Devin Tortorice, Whitewater WC
Josh Heil, Buies Creek RTC
Logan Smith, Mat Savvy WC
Dylan Thurston, IRTC
Matt Findlay, Utah Valley RTC
Expected to enter
Dalton Brady, Sunkist, 2011 Cadet World Team member

2nd Toughest Weight Class – Men’s Freestyle 86 kg
2016 NCAA champion Myles Martin of Ohio State, a 2017 University Nationals champion, is among the big-name freestyle stars expected in Rochester. Martin competed in the 2016 Olympic Trials, has attended Senior Olympic and World Team training camps, and had a strong age-group freestyle career. He will have a tough road to make this team. 2017 NCAA runner-up Brett Pfarr of Minnesota is dropping in weight to 86 kg according to online registration. Pfarr was sixth at this weight class way back in the 2015 University Nationals. Graduated Iowa star Sammy Brooks, who was fourth at the NCAA last year, is starting his post-college career. Brooks was second in the 2016 University Nationals. Nathan Jackson, an NCAA All-American for Indiana, and a past University freestyle placer, adds some punch to the weight class. Jaron Smith of Maryland, third in the 2017 UWW Junior World Team Trials is a tough draw, as is Jacob Raschka, now at Missouri, who had a strong age-group career.

Already registered
Myles Martin, 2016 OTT qualifier, 17 University champ, 2016 NCAA champ
Brett Pfarr, Minnesota Storm, 2017 NCAA runner-up
Sammy Brooks, NYAC/HWC, 4th 2017 NCAAs, 2nd 2016 University
Nathan Jackson, NYAC, Princeton WC, 7th in 2016 University Nats
Jacob Raschka, Missouri RTC, 3rd in 2016 UWW Cadet Nationals
Jaron Smith, Terrapin WC, 3rd 17 Junior WTT
Richard Robertson, BRTC
Garrett Lineberger, MD unattached
Wyatt Koelling, Missouri RTC
David Willoughby, NB Elite
Faris Karaborni, Minnesota Storm
Expected to enter
Collin Carr, Minnesota Gopher WC

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on October 4, 2017

Looking at the field right now on trackwrestling, and noticed the following:

57 KG - Daton Fix is registered. NaTo-Fix is my projected final and should be a heck of a match!

61KG - McKee should win this weight.

65KG - McKenna-Eierman looks like the final as of now. Joey gets revenge.

70KG - Collica, Lamont, Mayes and Lewis are all threats to win this class.

74KG - As of now, the only two participants registered are Chance Marstellar and Isiah Martinez. Quite frankly, that's all that need to register. Make it a best of 7!

86KG - Pfarr, Martin, Jackson and Brooks. Wow. That's some talent. Hopefully the bracket keeps Myles away from Brooks, as Sammy was Myles' kryptonite last year.

97KG - Moore would walk through this weight, IMO, but he's not here. Walz is here, but my pick, as of now, is Lefever. Reyes is also tough.

125KG - Kroells is the heavy favorite as of now.

All of this can change based on additional entrants between now and Sunday. Setting up for some AWESOME matches though.

Gregory Martin added to this discussion on October 5, 2017

Hello Buckeye Nation I haven't been on here in awhile Hope all is well.Any true competitor would want to wrestle Brooks. to hope that Myles doesn't wrestle Brooks because of last year is nonsense. Only way to see how much you improved is to wrestle. Isn't that the reason you go.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on October 6, 2017

GM: love the enthusiasm.

I was wondering if you could give some insight on the difference for your son from 74-84 (no jokes; I get it's 10 lbs.). But what was the cut like for him at 74 and how much bigger at 84 is he this year from last? He looks huge, comparatively speaking.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on October 6, 2017

Greg, you are right, Myles should want to take on, and beat, Brooks...and I hope he does!

Gregory Martin added to this discussion on October 6, 2017

In a perfect world Myles would have been at 174 last year but going up was better for the team and it was the plan to eventually go 84 anyhow . He didn't complain he sucked it up and did it. This summer I saw him approx 10 days because he spent the entire summer in Columbus getting bigger and stronger and I believe it will pay off!! Let's just say it's not even close how much bigger and stronger he is this compared to last year. Every since he was a kid when he lost matches he would find out what tournaments those kids were at and I would take him there. Any true competitor wants to wrestle the kids that beat them before not avoid them.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 7, 2017

Quote from Gregory Martin's post:

"In a perfect world Myles would have been at 174 last year but going up was better for the team and it was the plan to eventually go 84 anyhow . He didn't complain he sucked it up and did it. This summer I saw him approx 10 days because he spent the entire summer in Columbus getting bigger and stronger and I believe it will pay off!! Let's just say it's not even close how much bigger and stronger he is this compared to last year. Every since he was a kid when he lost matches he would find out what tournaments those kids were at and I would take him there. Any true competitor wants to wrestle the kids that beat them before not avoid them."

Not to mention that free and folk are different. Some of the skills translate but some don't. Strategies are different as well.

Myles improvement towards the end of last season was a huge catalyst towards the Bucks ending up 2nd.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on October 7, 2017

Its easy to look at and expect Myles, brooks, Pfarr to be at top, but none of them are 4x AA or a 2x NCAA champ. there is only one of those at 86kg, and though not everyone on this forum knows him, there isn't one person in the weight class that doesnt. they know how tough he is. He will be in the mix, Garrett Linberger. Keep an eye on him, he is very very tough.

Cory Surles added to this discussion on October 7, 2017

All 3 Buckeyes number 1 seeds! Tomasello should have lambert in semis possible match with fix or Josh Rodriquez. Myles would have Nathan Jackson in semis. Winner of Pfarr brooks in final. McKenna has eirman on the other side. Should be a good tournament.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2017/October/07/Seeds-set-for-day-2-of-U23-Trials

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 8, 2017

Nate, J-Mac and Myles all advance to the finals.

Nate will face Fix
McKenna takes on Boo Lewallen
Myles will wrestle Sam Brooks.

William Danforth added to this discussion on October 8, 2017

Alex Mossing (Air Force)(Toledo Central Catholic) in the finals of Greco 71kg.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 8, 2017

Congrats to McKenna and Mossing on making the squad in Free and Greco respectively.

Myles and Nate both lost in the finals.

Gregory Martin added to this discussion on October 9, 2017

Glad Myles got to wrestle Brooks because even though he fell short it was a few takeaways that will help him down the road . Not sure if it would of been a good thing going to Poland at the beginning of the season anyhow. I appreciate Coach Ryan giving guys opportunities but it's definitely taking a huge chance for the season.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on October 9, 2017

Quote from Gregory Martin's post:

"Glad Myles got to wrestle Brooks because even though he fell short it was a few takeaways that will help him down the road . Not sure if it would of been a good thing going to Poland at the beginning of the season anyhow. I appreciate Coach Ryan giving guys opportunities but it's definitely taking a huge chance for the season."

Greg,
It's funny mention that as I was having the same reservation. With it being right at the beginning of the season I feel like it makes them peak twice during the season. And that makes me question if we're going to be able to maximize performance when it matters most. Admittedly, the kids wouldn't pass on either opportunity and your sentiment of appreciation for Coach Ryan allowing the kids to chase that dream on a world stage is warranted. But hindsight says it may not have been a blessing in their development towards an NCAA title, individual or team.

Gregory Martin added to this discussion on October 9, 2017

It's probably the first time in my life that I think I told Myles I was glad he lost. Funny but True story!! I didnt like the timing of this so that's why I'm glad he's not going. I was glad he got to wrestle Brooks though because he gained a ton by doing so

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next