Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: NATO out 3 months
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on October 10, 2017

Just saw on twitter Nate is out for 3 months with lower body injury

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on October 10, 2017

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"Just saw on twitter Nate is out for 3 months with lower body injury"

If this occurred wrestling this weekend, I’m reminded of Mr. Martin and Shep-Diggity-Dog’s posts on the WTT thread...

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 11, 2017

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"

"Just saw on twitter Nate is out for 3 months with lower body injury"

If this occurred wrestling this weekend, I’m reminded of Mr. Martin and Shep-Diggity-Dog’s posts on the WTT thread..."

What did they say?

The article on 11 warriors says he'll be back in January. Since Nate was going to start the season at 133 and then drop, I'm assuming we'll see Pletcher in from the start.
Obviously, no one is happy about Nate getting hurt but the lineup should remain very tough. And when Nate comes back, presumably he cuts to 125 for remainder of season.

125 was going to be a question mark until Nate cut anyway.

Hopefully it's an injury from which he'll be fully recovered in time for second half of season.

Side note: Did Nate lose to Fix because he was injured while competing against him? It's reasonable to assume that if he was wrestling under duress, it had an impact.

Gregory Martin added to this discussion on October 11, 2017

I said I was glad Myles got to go to Minnesota to get some matches in but I'm glad he's not going to Poland. My worst fear was injury. He gets to start practice on time to get ready for the season. Sad Nate was injured and will be forced to be off the mat for a minute but if anybody can work and focus it's him.. he will do everything he can to get back to 100%

Ben Watson added to this discussion on October 11, 2017

There may a silver lining in all of this. Of course, an injury is not ideal. However, taking some time off the mat will actually reduce the risk of burnout (if that is a real thing for NATO). He competed multiple times overseas in the late summer and really hasn't taken an extended break since the end of last college season.

Also, if anyone is equipped to handle a tough recovery, it's Nate. He is so disciplined. tOSU faithful do not have to worry about him having too much time on his hands.

The biggest concern is whether he is able to come back 100%. Injuries tend to linger.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on October 11, 2017

Quote from Ben Watson's post:

"There may a silver lining in all of this. Of course, an injury is not ideal. However, taking some time off the mat will actually reduce the risk of burnout (if that is a real thing for NATO). He competed multiple times overseas in the late summer and really hasn't taken an extended break since the end of last college season.

Also, if anyone is equipped to handle a tough recovery, it's Nate. He is so disciplined. tOSU faithful do not have to worry about him having too much time on his hands.

The biggest concern is whether he is able to come back 100%. Injuries tend to linger."

Plus, we knew he was going to have a bit of a grind ahead of him with that cut to 125. This limits the number of times he needs to get down. Could be a blessing.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 11, 2017

This team is about one thing, a singular goal...winning the NCAA tournament. Individual goals may or may not be met in the pursuit of that goal, but that’s the clear objective. This injury, while shitty, does not hinder that goal. I have no doubt that tOSU team will be where it needs to be come Big Tens and NCAA tourney time. The Scuffle doesn’t matter, duals don’t matter, it’s all practice. The line up is set. The team is the best in the program’s history. I love that they’re taking their shot against a lengendary team like the 2018 Penn State squad. There will be much debate and discussion, but nothing matters until that faithful weekend in Cleveland. I wish Mr Tomasello a speedy recovery and I hope he is 100% come tourney time. I want to see the best battle the best and let the chips fall where they may.

It’s a great time to be a wrestling fan.

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"This team is about one thing, a singular goal...winning the NCAA tournament. Individual goals may or may not be met in the pursuit of that goal, but that’s the clear objective. This injury, while shitty, does not hinder that goal. I have no doubt that tOSU team will be where it needs to be come Big Tens and NCAA tourney time. The Scuffle doesn’t matter, duals don’t matter, it’s all practice. The line up is set. The team is the best in the program’s history. I love that they’re taking their shot against a lengendary team like the 2018 Penn State squad. There will be much debate and discussion, but nothing matters until that faithful weekend in Cleveland. I wish Mr Tomasello a speedy recovery and I hope he is 100% come tourney time. I want to see the best battle the best and let the chips fall where they may.

It’s a great time to be a wrestling fan."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaxVwD-HvNU

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on October 18, 2017

I have seen reports that Nate has an ACL tear but won't get surgery and is going to rest and give it ago at end of the year.

Anyone else hear this?

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on October 21, 2017

"I have seen reports that Nate has an ACL tear but won't get surgery and is going to rest and give it ago at end of the year.

Anyone else hear this?"

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-wrestling/2017/10/86805/wrestling-nathan-tomasello-slated-to-return-in-january-after-meniscus-repair

The headline is inconsistent with the article. If it was a meniscus repair, he would be non weight bearing for awhile and would have a long recovery. However, the article says they trimmed the tear off which is a meniscectomy. If true, he could be drilling in less than a month.

Ben Watson added to this discussion on October 21, 2017

This is huge news. NATO should be able to recover close to 100%. I was starting to ponder where a 65%-75% NATO would finish at NCAAs and reached the conclusion that it would have been a mid AA. In all seriousness though, what do I know?

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on October 21, 2017

I had this surgery when I was 30 years old and coaching. I was wrestling as soon as the stitches came out, and I'm not that tough, at all. GREAT NEWS!

► Add to the Discussion