Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Campbell vs. Burcher?
Brian Nicola added to this discussion on October 15, 2017

So, regarding 165 for the Bucks: are we just assuming that Burcher is either A) far behind Te'Shan Campbell B) Too small to be an effective 165 C) a combo of both

I like both these guys. Burcher just pins people and gives that Claymont vibe I dig. Campbell's personality and reason for transferring are appealing. Campbell's record was markedly better, but NCAA results against Oklahoma's Meijas were in the same ballpark.

I would assume Campbell is ahead, but I wouldn't mind more info.

I also know we have family members on here, not trying to get anyone riled up, just wanted to talk about the only weight that has any grey area, whatsoever (although 125 is recently coming into the mix).

Go Bucks!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on October 16, 2017

Quote from Brian Nicola's post:

"So, regarding 165 for the Bucks: are we just assuming that Burcher is either A) far behind Te'Shan Campbell B) Too small to be an effective 165 C) a combo of both

I like both these guys. Burcher just pins people and gives that Claymont vibe I dig. Campbell's personality and reason for transferring are appealing. Campbell's record was markedly better, but NCAA results against Oklahoma's Meijas were in the same ballpark.

I would assume Campbell is ahead, but I wouldn't mind more info.

I also know we have family members on here, not trying to get anyone riled up, just wanted to talk about the only weight that has any grey area, whatsoever (although 125 is recently coming into the mix).

Go Bucks!"

I've wondered this same thing. Burcher isn't a slouch and I don't think we can really say it's a slam dunk IF Burcher spent the offseason putting on the necessary weight. He battles and he's always got that Claymont cradle that could level the playing field in the blink of an eye. Guys like this are the ones that have kept the wheels on the Buckeye bus over the years. Solid contributor that has moved around weight classes so we could put the best line-up possible on the mat. I'm a huge Burcher fan.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 16, 2017

Here's another question--who's better between Cody Burcher at 157 and Ke-Shawn Hayes at 149? Assuming McKenna beats Hayes out for 141, would this team have been better off with Micah at 149 and Burcher at 157? Or Hayes at 149 and Micah at 157?

I think it's a reasonable question. Personally, I think the Bucks are taking a risk moving Micah up from a weight where he is clearly the 3rd best in the country just to slide in Hayes (or McKenna). Burcher was not a big 165 last season. He could be competitive at 157.

Not saying I'm right...if Micah is equally studly at 157 and Hayes (or McKenna) is AA caliber at 149, then there's no problem.

But if Micah runs into horsepower issues at 157 and the same is true for Hayes at 149, it could prove to be the difference between winning and losing the NCAA title.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on October 16, 2017

I think we forget how good Hayes was in his redshirt year, going 26-1. He's a monster.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on October 16, 2017

Brian - I agree. He is excellent.

I have a soft spot for Ohio HS wrestlers.

Burcher was 17-17 last year.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 17, 2017

Quote from Brian Nicola's post:

"I think we forget how good Hayes was in his redshirt year, going 26-1. He's a monster."

I know he's good. How good? And at 149 (probably)?

Neither of us know.

Just to be clear--I think the staff knows what they're doing. Hayes was a top competitor nationally in hs and there's no reason to believe he's not going to be an excellent collegiate competitor. I'm playing devil's advocate for the sake of discussion. This forum can be very boring and we need some topics with meat.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on October 17, 2017

I think someone mentioned in a post on another thread that M. Jordan has a better chance of a national championship at 157 than at 149, due to the style of wrestling of the front runners (Retherford and Nolf). I think a match between Jordan and Nolf would be very interesting to watch since they are both very quick and agile.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on October 17, 2017

Burcher tried hard and kept the score close in a lot of matches but I just can't remember the last time I saw him get a TD off his own attack.

I just don't see him doing any better then he did last year. Now maybe he was hurt and that played into his lack of offense but I don't know.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on October 17, 2017

The coaching staff did not bring in ACC champ Campbell with the thought that Burcher, a .500 competitor, could still retain the spot.

Burcher is a junkyard dog who can keep most matches from blowing open. But he has yet to display the offense needed to go get a takedown in the third period of a big bout.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on October 18, 2017

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"The coaching staff did not bring in ACC champ Campbell with the thought that Burcher, a .500 competitor, could still retain the spot.

Burcher is a junkyard dog who can keep most match"

^

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on October 18, 2017

Butcher wrestled well last year considering he was up a weight class but I agree that Campbell will anchor the spot at 165 this year.

I think some people are sleeping on Hayes. I have no idea as of yet how well he will do up a weight (providing he loses his wrestle-off with McKenna) but the kid is pretty darn good. I still think he does considerably better at 149 than Burcher would do at 157.

Time will tell but I have never been as excited about a Buckeye team or a season to start as I am this year. Tom Ryan and staff have put together a team capable of competing and dare I say beating, Penn State.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on November 13, 2017

OK, so Campbell. MY GOODNESS, nice match with AV.

However, I haven't Burcher at any opens. Injured?

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on November 14, 2017

Recovering yes. Coming back this week, at least to begin practice. Not sure if/when/where he will compete or what was the medical reason for being out.

► Add to the Discussion