Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: David Carr
Drew Taylor added to this discussion on October 18, 2017

If one was to rank Carr's five finalists by recent success, Iowa State would be a clear fifth behind Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Nebraska and Cornell. The Cyclones have been mostly mediocre since Cael left for Penn State.

Clearly, Carr's family connection to Ames played a pivotal role in his decision. Can't blame him. Just be glad as Buckeye fans that the Jordans eschewed Wisconsin for OSU.

Carr becomes the first Ohio blue-chipper that Tom Ryan couldn't land since ... David Taylor? Jamie Clark? By blue-chipper, I'm talking significant national credentials. Am I missing someone? Heil? Collica? Abounader? Okay, I guess there's been a few.

Kudos to Iowa State. The needle is trending up for Kevin Dresser and his program. This was a huge day for them. But it will take many more Carr-like recruits before they're threatening Ohio State for NCAA trophies.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 18, 2017

Pletcher, Hayes, McKenna, Martin and Snyder were all huge in-state recruits for their respective state institutions. Each was a HUGE loss for their local schools. It happens. This isn’t a huge hit for tOSU. Ohio State is a national program. They’ve recruited well. I’m not making excuses, but you can’t get them all.

Also, a kid going to his dad’s alma mater when his dad was a standout athlete is far from abnormal. Think of Ben and Issac Jordan. Congratulations Mr. Carr, I look forward to following your development. I hope you are part of bringing Iowa State back to the storied program it once was. I was a fan of the Bobby Douglas years.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on October 18, 2017

Iowa State has stole some absolute superstars from Ohio. Joe Heskett, Harry Lester and now David Carr.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 18, 2017

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Iowa State has stole some absolute superstars from Ohio. Joe Heskett, Harry Lester and now David Carr."

That’s where my “can’t get them all” comment comes from. Ohio is such a rich wrestling state, every major program has stolen a few stars over the years. Wisconsin got the Jordans (and a few other Graham studs), VaTech seems to love Ohio recruits, Iowa just got Marenelli and had the Heffernans back in the day. OSU has had several Ohio standouts, the current crop is great with h Heil and Collica, but Alan Fried was kinda good too. National champ from Purdue, Charlie Jones...Arizona State loved the St John brothers and that’s where Mollica went, right? Northwestern had Dustin Fox, the Pariano brothers, Mike Funk (maybe, I’m just going by memory here). Anyway, long story short, everyone’s going after Ohio stars and you just can’t get them all.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on October 19, 2017

Who will he train with?

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 19, 2017

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"Who will he train with?"

I assume Mike Zadick and Brent Metcalf.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on October 19, 2017

and Derek St John. Pretty good training partners! Not a bad room for middle weights.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 19, 2017

Quote from Matt Mace's post:

"and Derek St John. Pretty good training partners! Not a bad room for middle weights."

Whose side are you on here, Matt?

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on October 19, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Iowa State.

Don't get it."

His Dad went there. His Dad has guided his career and continues to do so.

Congrats to David Carr. I'm sure he'll be successful."

And his brother went there too.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on October 19, 2017

I think he falls into that category of going to be successful wherever he goes. The Carr family has been successful collegiately and internationally. Jimmy was the youngest Olympian ever and Nate was '88 Olympian. Multiple NCAA championships and All American status to their family name. Fletcher was the coach at UK before they dropped the sport. That legacy goes wherever he goes regardless of institution. The family has seen it all and done it all in wrestling. He has the resources to address just about any technical or life issue regarding wrestling in his family tree. That right there is a huge advantage.

He is ahead of the curve and the number of issues that he needs to address before winning an NCAA title are fewer than his peers. Excellent coaching and practice partners will have him ready in short order. Coaching is getting a lot better than it used to be.

Ben Watson added to this discussion on October 20, 2017

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"I think he falls into that category of going to be successful wherever he goes. The Carr family has been successful collegiately and internationally. Jimmy was the youngest Olympian ever and Nate was '88 Olympian. Multiple NCAA championships and All American status to their family name. Fletcher was the coach at UK before they dropped the sport. That legacy goes wherever he goes regardless of institution. The family has seen it all and done it all in wrestling. He has the resources to address just about any technical or life issue regarding wrestling in his family tree. That right there is a huge advantage.

He is ahead of the curve and the number of issues that he needs to address before winning an NCAA title are fewer than his peers. Excellent coaching and practice partners will have him ready in short order. Coaching is getting a lot better than it used to be."

This is a great assessment.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2