Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Sasso commits
Pat Altvater added to this discussion on November 10, 2017

With the recent recruits, and the excellent crop from the last couple of years, I was wondering what the line-up could look like in 2+ years.

Ralph, Ryan, and company not only brought in an excellent set of wrestlers, but they have managed to address every weight class for the forseeable future.

Here is what the line-up 'could' look like, depending on health, discipline, and development.

125: Malik Hensleman - thru 2022 (assuming no RS)
133: Koontz or Mead - thru 2022 (assuming RS)
141: Quinn Kinner - thru 2023 (assuming RS)
149: Sammy Sasso - thru 2023 (assuming RS)
157: Mattox - thru 2023 (assuming RS)
165: Rocky Jordan - thru 2023 (assuming RS)
174: Kaleb Romero - thru 2022 (assuming RS)
184: Smith/Steiner - thru 2022 (assuming RS)
197: Gavin Hoffman - thru 2023 (assuming RS)
285: Chase Singletary- thru 2022 (assuming RS)

The pipe-line to the future has been built and is awaiting their turn in the line-up. - I know that I am a little prejudiced, but that looks like a pretty good lineup.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 10, 2017

You forgot about Decatur.

Flo did a nice breakdown off this and now I can't find it. Crap.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 11, 2017

Quote from Pat Altvater's post:

"With the recent recruits, and the excellent crop from the last couple of years, I was wondering what the line-up could look like in 2+ years.

Ralph, Ryan, and company not only brought in an excellent set of wrestlers, but they have managed to address every weight class for the forseeable future.

Here is what the line-up 'could' look like, depending on health, discipline, and development.

125: Malik Hensleman - thru 2022 (assuming no RS)
133: Koontz or Mead - thru 2022 (assuming RS)
141: Quinn Kinner - thru 2023 (assuming RS)
149: Sammy Sasso - thru 2023 (assuming RS)
157: Mattox - thru 2023 (assuming RS)
165: Rocky Jordan - thru 2023 (assuming RS)
174: Kaleb Romero - thru 2022 (assuming RS)
184: Smith/Steiner - thru 2022 (assuming RS)
197: Gavin Hoffman - thru 2023 (assuming RS)
285: Chase Singletary- thru 2022 (assuming RS)

The pipe-line to the future has been built and is awaiting their turn in the line-up. - I know that I am a little prejudiced, but that looks like a pretty good lineup."

Bucks have had some extraordinary talent in recent years--Kyle, Bo, Nate, Myles and Logan were all champs or top 3 as frosh. Is there anyone among those recruits that level? I will say that it's amazing that the Bucks have this type of talent already committed (barring any switches among the verbals...that's a new trend). But have the Bucks traded stability for top shelf talent? Will they pursue Kurt McHenry--clearly the best 125 prospect in the country? What about others near that level? FWIW--I'd do the same thing if I were recruiting. I do like this group--a lot. I'm asking these questions for the sake of discussion.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on November 11, 2017

I'm not sure that outside of Kyle and Logan many incoming recruits were thought of as being legitimate NCAA threats rights out of the gate. Bo was a number one overall so he was probably thought of in that light. NATO was a blue chip, but not to the level of Henselman, Hoffman, Decatur, etc. For most of his freshman year I thought he dipped in and out of the top four or five. It was his performance at Big Tens that really separated him that year. I would say Myles is in that same category. I really think Ohio State has done both, brought in elite talent and created balance/consistency and depth. In reality the two or three kids that they really went after the last couple of years and didn't get may have never been theirs to begin with. We were never a serious player in the Daton Fix or Mark Hall sweep stakes. The only two that kinda hurt were David Carr and Alex Marinelli. The thing that I like is that OSU has shown a lot of adaptability and thoroughness in who they bring in, and they are clearly effective at recognizing talent and developing it (i.e.: Kollin Moore). With less heralded guys (still tough as nails) behind a lot of these guys the Bucks will be able to afford to sit a guy out here or there when they are banged up and not drop off a cliff. I like what they are doing. Time will tell.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 11, 2017

Jared: Good insights esp. your point about only Kyle and Logan being obvious title contenders as frosh.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 12, 2017

The only reason why I didn't think Bo was a title contender was nhat fella named Deringer. I definitely thought he was a runner-up contender.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 12, 2017

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

" NATO was a blue chip, but not to the level of Henselman, Hoffman, Decatur, etc.

We were never a serious player in the Daton Fix or Mark Hall sweep stakes. "

u make some points however i have a couple small exceptions-- Nato was very very blue chip, won 3 Fargo FR titles in a row, 3 Ironman titles in a row, unbeaten since frosh year in HS. Add in his great academics and well known work ethic/dedication. don't get any bluer than Nato, imo, unless your Daton Fix.

ohio st was leading in Mark hall sweepstakes until Penn st got into the game late.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2