Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: What Does It All Mean?!
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on October 29, 2017

1) Is it "State" or "States"? Make your best argument.

2) Is it true that college wrestlers lose some of their edge if they get married while still competing? (Bo is an outlier in an unorthodox situation; you're arguing from the exception.)

3) I've been racking my brain intermittently trying to figure out what it is about K. Snyder that is an essence statement and come to this conclusion:

All of us wish we had our perspective/understanding now in the body we had then. He's a 44 year old in a (specially designed) 21 year old body.

4) I still don't understand the bottom line of why Suriano transferred?

5) I'm thinking tOSU team is finally like the guy who has invested throughout his career and met his goal of having $500K...compound interest of recruitment should be sustainable for quite some time. (Up to recently, it was like they were looking for change in the couch cushions to fill weight classes that were just on the cusp of having no one serviceable...)

6) Niemann, how is the new coaching going?

7) I've been on a 5x5 lifting kick lately; if you could only do two lifts as a wrestler, what would they be and why?

8) I miss The Brakeman Report.

9) The television coverage and format keep improving each year recently, IMO. Why is that?

10) Whatever you like, post it. *And you may pick one, part, or all of the aforementioned to address.

Last edited by Justin Hayes on October 29, 2017; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 29, 2017

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"1) Is it "State" or "States"? Make your best argument.

2) Is it true that college wrestlers lose some of their edge if they get married while still competing? (Bo is an outlier in an unorthodox situation; you're arguing from the exception.)

3) I've been racking my brain intermittently trying to figure out what it is about K. Snyder that is an essence statement and come to this conclusion:

All of us wish we had our perspective/understanding now in the body we had then. He's a 44 year old in a (specially designed) 21 year old body.

5) I'm thinking tOSU team is finally like the guy who has invested throughout his career and met his goal of having $500K...compound interest of recruitment should be sustainable for quite some time. (Up to recently, it was like they were looking for change in the couch cushions to fill weight classes that were just on the cusp of having no one serviceable...)

7) I've been on a 5x5 lifting kick lately; if you could only do two lifts as a wrestler, what would they be and why?

9) The television coverage and format keep improving each year recently, IMO. Why is that?

10) Whatever you like, post it."

1) State.
2) Don't know.
3) Genetics.
4) Most intriguing question. Obviously he wanted to leave. Why? Was it the ankle injury and how it was handled? Or something else?
5) Good analogy.
6) The wrestling is a work in progress but his kids can play guitar and grow garlic better than Graham and Eds.
7) No opinion
8) Agreed but Josh Lowe is dmn good in his own right. It's like going from Tressell to Meyer--or vice versa.
9) Flo and Track and BTN must feel it's profitable plus the technology is astonishing #theupsideofcapitalism
10) Browns make me insane. I turn them on each week to see if they might win and then they destroy their opportunities with horrible mistakes. D can't get stops on 3rd and long. Draft a kicker who can't hit easy FG's. Cut/fail to re-sign veterans who can help. ARGGH!

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on October 29, 2017

JHayes- I'm coining a new nickname for you, sir. How about "The Thinking Man's Dan Gable"?

Oh,and I'll give my two cents when I hit a computer. Another solid JHayes topic here!

With deep admiration,
Cincy Coach

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"JHayes- I'm coining a new nickname for you, sir. How about "The Thinking Man's Dan Gable"?

Oh,and I'll give my two cents when I hit a computer. Another solid JHayes topic here!

With deep admiration,
Cincy Coach"

More like “Idiot Savant; heavy emphasis on ‘Idiot’”.... : )

Steve Lester added to this discussion on October 29, 2017

1. Depends on what phrase you are abbreviating with a single word, "state" or the single word "states".
I've seen OHSAA label the program brochure as "...Annual State Wrestling Tournaments". That a plural at the end.
On the hand I almost wrote OHSAA's state tournament brochure that they sell, rather than OHSAA's "states tournament brochure".
Flip a coin or coins; majority win (wins?).

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

"Flip a coin or coins; majority win (wins?)."

^I see what you did there...good one!

I call it "State" because it has a more top tier regal ring to it...

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 29, 2017

I believe it is our laziness that brought about the terms "states". No one wants to say "the state's wrestling tournament" all the time. So, we say "states". I am a "state" guy.

Do we really have enough case studies to make an accurate conclusion?

Dude is wise beyond his years. And I'm glad I get to watch. #CLE2018

Like the wise owl once said - "The world may never know."

#RalphieEffect

Tomorrow is the start of our Be Better Wrestling Camp. Four days of training, brought to you by LSU AA Jimmy Edwards, 2x NQ T.J. Enright (Ohio State) - both of whom are Westland Cougars (where I coach now), and PSU AA Ross Thatcher. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to it. ;)

Just two? Deadlift and pull-ups.

What a staple in late-20th century Ohio wrestling culture. Amazing.

I think it has to do with live sports being in demand. Could be wrong on that.

10) Whatever you like, post it. *And you may pick one, part, or all of the aforementioned to address.

"I want it all, and I want it now." - Freddie Mercury

Niemann, I agree with 7...and 10!

Bill Watson added to this discussion on October 29, 2017

[quote="Mark Niemann"]1) Is it "State" or "States"? Make your best argument.

I believe it is our laziness that brought about the terms "states". No one wants to say "the state's wrestling tournament" all the time. So, we say "states". I am a "state" guy.

This is the only one I disagree with, because essentially we have three separate state tournaments. Thus it is States. California has state, we have states.

Additionally to add to pull-ups, I've been doing the towel pull-ups (5 to each side) that Coach Myers posted and I really like them. Dude is pretty dang good with that stuff, I try to watch everything he does on flo!

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on October 30, 2017

My opinion has always been that the "states" terms...as well as "districts" and "sectionals"...are really just language shifts or downgrades from possessive words.

state's tournament

district's tournament

sectional's tournament

After a while, we just dropped the possessive.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on October 30, 2017

My opinion has always been that the "states" terms...as well as "districts" and "sectionals"...are really just language shifts or downgrades from possessive words.

state's tournament

district's tournament

sectional's tournament

After a while, we just dropped the possessive.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on October 31, 2017

1 - State...and while we’re at it, it’s St. Edward, not St. Eds.
2 - I think it would take a special kind of person (with a special partner) to be able to be successful at parenting, being a husband/wife and competing at a high level in a DI sport. That said, there are a lot of very special people out there. What young people are capable of never ceases to amaze me.
3 - I don’t disagree with your take here. He has a poise and maturity that is incredibly uncommon.
4 - The narrative that’s out there is that the young man wasn’t happy and made a move to a place where he’d be happier. It rings true to me.
5 - Ohio State is doing everything right. They just happen to have their program come of age at the same time Penn State’s program did...and Penn State just did it better.
6 - Niemann knows what he’s doing. It’ll be a process, but they’ll get there.
7 - Deadlifts and pull ups
8 - I miss it too. What a privilege it was to grow up on the Brakeman era. Nothing comes close.
9 - The standards for broadcasting have improved across the board. I often wonder why anyone goes to events when the viewing experience is so much better from home. With the NCAAs in Cleveland this year, it’s a real question for me whether to attend or take a couple days off work and sit on my couch.
10 - I stopped coaching as an assistant 13 years ago when my daughter was born. I still volunteered here and there, but that stopped when I blew out my knee (really bad) four years ago. With Coach Neimann taking on the Westland program, I have the opportunity to volunteer again. More teaching and less wrestling...but I’m stoked.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on October 31, 2017

-- Couldn't care less. I'm a math guy.

-- Women weaken legs. -Micky Goldmill

-- Tervel's influence can't be understated in the way Kyle approaches wrestling. Kyle is very physically and mentally gifted and he makes up for that by working incredibly hard, listening to his coaches, and living a clean life.

-- It's probably a combination of factors which lead to him being unhappy in Happy Valley - which seems like it should never happen, but it does.

-- Not taking anything away from the coaching staff, but having Stieber and even more so Snyder around is the biggest draw for out-of-state guys to come in. Who wouldn't want to be around them. Do what they do and you have a 100% chance of getting better. Much much better.

-- No clue, but I'm sure that Westland will 'be better' now than in the recent past.

--I'm a kettlebell fan. Turkish sit-up/get-up & Bottom-up press.

-- Me also - I miss his writing, not the actual predictions.

-- They see truth in the field of dreams motto, if you build it, they will come. They are seeing the bottom line benefit when a good product is given.

-- Starting coaching at a new school, Bellefontaine, this year. They have had 3 state placers (1972, 1989, 2010) in their history. Burg has 3 state champs last year. It's kind of exciting to try and build a program again -- but big bumps coming.

-- Imar tweeted about how good current HS wrestlers are now, even more than 5 yrs ago when he was in HS. RTC's, high level clubs (PINnacle, Young Guns, IzzyStyle (I forget his club's name) etc., etc.), and techinque online such as @kolat and @Flowrestling have made a HUGE impact on the ability for kids to improve and for HS coaches to get high level training themselves. This is exciting for me to watch.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on October 31, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"
9 - The standards for broadcasting have improved across the board. I often wonder why anyone goes to events when the viewing experience is so much better from home. With the NCAAs in Cleveland this year, it’s a real question for me whether to attend or take a couple days off work and sit on my couch."

I attended the Saturday sessions when in Cleveland the last - getting to see Tim Dernlan AA and Mitch Clark TF in the finals -- and traveled out to NYC to watch Austin Reese wrestle -- and while the convenience and cost of sitting on the couch is better, the atmosphere of being in the arena is second to none. The same reason why I will attend every Olympic Trials from now on.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on October 31, 2017

Brady, are still teaching at M-Burg?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next