Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: "Gilman goes off"
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on November 4, 2017

Out of the mouth, the heart speaks (and types). I’ve had to seek forgiveness for bad communication more times than I could hope to remember.

But no one is sending me to be their spokesmodel at a public event in the era of the Internet.

I miss the days when Brands et al wanted to wrestle aliens and show the world what true mulletude looks like. And I really miss the Gable era.

At this point, I have to conclude that this is the culture propagated in Hawkeye country these days; they know Gilman and they sent him as their ambassador.

Meh.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rex Holman added to this discussion on November 4, 2017

When you are so consumed with your belief system and culture, nothing else matters (to your goal).

or

When you are so consumed with your belief system and consumed with your culture that it causes you to attack and demean other (to your goals).

Simply gradations along a continuum of beliefs.

You can't ever discount beliefs even in the face of shortcomings. Actually, when a guy still has the belief that he is the best even in the face of defeat, huge mental strength.

I fell into the top category. I never had an inclination to demean others.

Actually, may have misused the term narcissist. It has a lot of different connotations. Self absorption would work better for Gilman.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on November 4, 2017

Mike-

I am saying that Gilman is mentally strong, despite being an ass. He doesn't care about social etiquette as it would just get in the way of how he thinks.

As a coach I want my kids to be mentally strong and civil, even kind.

I have come to understand that these two traits are incongruous in the way some people think.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 4, 2017

Rex...I don’t think Gilman is weak,quite the contrary. He’s a phenomenal wrestler a d you can’t do that and be weak. And I remember the Gable era Hawkeyes, I’m not romanticizing them. They were pricks, but they won...both individual and team championships. They also went on to coach...almost everywhere, but Iowa. This guys prick/win ratio is where he goes out of bounds for me.

Like I’ve said before, I’m looking for Spencer Lee to take over this program. I hope he leads this team, wins titles and is the man in 2020. I can just see Brands in Lee’s corner and Gilman be g all offened. It’ll be like Ramos a couple years ago, only worse

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on November 5, 2017

I know we've said Gilman doesn't care what people think of him, but I don't know that's entirely true. If I don't care what you think of me, am I going to routinely bring up if you don't like me you can go screw yourself? Of course not. If I really don't care about your opinion then your opinion likely wouldn't cross my mind all that often if ever. I don't know if he cares about being adored but I think he wants, more than anything, to be thought of as a bad man. The "we can go outside" bravado and "if you don't like my language there's a door in the front and one in the back" crap just screams of a chihuahua trying to muster up its big dog bark. As has been stated multiple times here, it's pathetic.
Here's my question regarding him, though. Once his wrestling days are done (and that day is coming quicker than he realizes), what then? As we all know, you can't go through the work force acting like a complete tool and expect to get ahead. Well, you can't unless you've been born into money and your 1st job is working for your dad as a supervisor/manager. My understanding is he comes from a blue collar family and will be part of the work force like the rest of us. IF he coaches high school and attempts to apply those same antics towards his wrestlers and parents, he'll get fired. Those antics might work as an assistant coach in college, but if he were to ever become a HC with that behavior he'd never land a good recruit. He'd turn off the top talent and their family with his "I don't need you...you need me" attitude. So, where do we see this guy in 10 years? Hopefully quite a bit more mature.
One final thing that grinds my gears about Gilman is his lack of respect towards Dan Gable. Sure, he acknowledged him in his speech but it was as "Gable." Not "Coach Gable" or "Mr. Gable" or even "Dan Gable" but just "Gable." The Iowa icon deserves more respect from a piss ant than that.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on November 5, 2017

Although Team USA wouldn't have won the world title without him, I've never been a fan of Gilman. I liked the traditional "Iowa Style" of the Gable years - the good old days as Dressler referred to it in the video, and the better win/prick ratio as others on this thread called it - but nowadays Iowa's poor sportsmanship and bandwagon fans irritate me. I'm not usually a "hater," but three of my most satisfying moments as a college wrestling fan have been, in no particular order:

-Zeke Moisey pinning Gilman in the 2015 NCAA semis
-Darian Cruz scoring two takedowns and beating Gilman in this past year's semis
-Mizzou beating Iowa in the 2015 National Duals finals (including Alan Waters beating Gilman - Gilman's lucky he didn't get DQ'd for the slam). Mizzou won all the swing matches!

As for Gilman's jabs about the Iowa State and UNI coaches being "too proud" to admit that they want to go back to Iowa: that is just a stupid and illogical statement. There are only so many coaching staff positions at Iowa. There's no possible way for all of their good alumni to coach there, even if they wanted to. The college coaching ranks are littered with former Hawks of the Gable era.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 6, 2017

Quote from Mike Taylor's post:

"One final thing that grinds my gears about Gilman is his lack of respect towards Dan Gable. Sure, he acknowledged him in his speech but it was as "Gable." Not "Coach Gable" or "Mr. Gable" or even "Dan Gable" but just "Gable." The Iowa icon deserves more respect from a piss ant than that."

EVERY SINGLE GUY that I've heard talk about Gable that wrestled for him all called him just "Gable". Those guys have total respect for him.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3