Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: #2 Bucks vs. #13 ASU
Justin Hayes added to this discussion on November 13, 2017

This is a darn good Buckeye team!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Alex Creech added to this discussion on November 13, 2017

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

Quote from Don Bork's post:

"I’m going to guess a class move by Zeke Jones knowing the buckeye fans came to see Snyder."

I was there and sitting directly behind ASU warm-up mat. ASU 285, Hall, was there and he was PO'd he didn't get to wrestle. If my lip reading was correct, when he turned his back to Zeke Jones and picked up his warm-ups, he said ("exploitive)ing stupid"."

That's what I figured, I thought I saw Hall warming up. This is a crap move by Jones, not something I would have expected from him.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on November 13, 2017

I do have a critique of one of the Buckeye wrestlers, Ke-Shawn Hayes. He wrestled well but I couldn't help noticing that he does not use his legs at all when in the top position. He doesn't lock an opponent's ankle, trap the opponent's leg or throw in a leg. Because of that his opponent was always able to fully stand up.

Anyone else notice that?

Rex Holman added to this discussion on November 13, 2017

I'd say TeShan is really explosive, powerful and fast. He owned the first two periods and never gave Valencia a chance to wrestle his match until the third and those were some pretty dicey positions (all or none) that Valencia was engaging, but he had nothing to lose being down so much.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on November 13, 2017

Pletcher has a grind it out type of style. He will have a lot of tight matches. Reminds me of a former ohio great Steve Luke.

Mckenna tough to score on and holds good position. He will be top 4 come March.

Hayes looks like he has to adjust to his weight class through conditioning because he got a bit winded late in the match

Micah still hasn't figured out how to get up from the bottom position. The start of the third he choose neutral although he was down by one. You can't get takedowns at will at this level. In High School you can get away with that strategy because their isn't any riding time and many coaches don't focus on the top position especially in Ohio

Campbell looked great on top but it was a minor letdown he couldn't secure the tech fall with an escape. I won't get to high on him just yet because of the small sample size. However, he looks amazing!

Bo just has a match up nightmare against Valenica because he is kind of limited in neutral because of his foot issues. However, Hall is more of a counter wrestler and if Bo can win the Big Ten he can be on the opposite side of Zahid.

March Martin is ready for the collision course with Nickel. Can't wait to watch the match live in Cleveland, Ohio!

Moore should be just as heavily favored to win 197 as Nolf, Zain, and Snyder. He is just that good and dominated.

Captain America is the greatest college wrestler ever regardless of how many titles he has. No 21 year old has ever been on his level at this point of their career. Tom Ryan could of redshirted him and he would of went undefeated through his entire collegiate career. However, I think that loss fueled him to the wrestler he has become.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on November 13, 2017

Great write up Chris. I enjoyed watching this dual, gave me something to do other than watch our "football" team.

Aside from the wrestlers, I was not very impressed with Bergman's calling of the match. He seemed to often go off point and didn't track matches very close. It wasn't terrible, but I had to mute it for the second half.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 13, 2017

Quote from Rob Wagner's post:

"Great write up Chris. I enjoyed watching this dual, gave me something to do other than watch our "football" team.

Aside from the wrestlers, I was not very impressed with Bergman's calling of the match. He seemed to often go off point and didn't track matches very close. It wasn't terrible, but I had to mute it for the second half."

Bergman is normally very good but he was way off topic yesterday.

Chris Thomas--those were excellent observations.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on November 13, 2017

The Big Ten Network announcers are notoriously awful, but I was pleasantly surprised when I heard Bergman on the call for that live stream yesterday. I was travelling home from Seattle so I was thankful that I could follow along. I was surprised at how little he knows about the team though. He gave good insight on Kyle, but he didn't even know where Te'Shan had transferred from. I'll excuse him on his "play by play", he's not a professional and I'm sure it takes years of experience to paint a visual picture of an event for the viewers (or in my case the listeners, because video kept going out) to follow. I would expect him to be more in touch with the current college wrestling landscape and especially the Buckeyes team though.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on November 13, 2017

I didn’t make the dual but my son was there and said Campbell looks huge. Can anyone else comment on that?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on November 13, 2017

I don't think the gap between Bo and ZV is that big. Bo seemed to be very cautious and didn't attack much the 1st 2 periods but opened up in the 3rd and if he would wrestle the whole match that way the outcome could have been different.

Micah had is leg wrapped pretty good so that could have been the reason to pick N as well.

Could get a rematch at Cliff Keen Open.

Long season.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 13, 2017

This is Ohio State’s best team ever. That’s clear. Even Micah Jordan’s loss, I suspect, won’t be looked at as a “bad loss” when the season is over. They have All American candidates up and down the line up, three favored champions and a couple of other contenders. Very few teams will be able to keep up with them in duals or tournaments. It’ll be a great year to be a Buckeye fan. That being said...

...I don’t know how anyone can watch the Jordan/Valencia match and think that the outcome will be different the next time they wrestle.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on November 13, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"...I don’t know how anyone can watch the Jordan/Valencia match and think that the outcome will be different the next time they wrestle."

I don’t want to but I agree.

Valencia’s long offense is Bo’s kryptonite; I’d like to see Bo fielddress him with boots in but think it a long shot.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on November 13, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"This is Ohio State’s best team ever. That’s clear. Even Micah Jordan’s loss, I suspect, won’t be looked at as a “bad loss” when the season is over. They have All American candidates up and down the line up, three favored champions and a couple of other contenders. Very few teams will be able to keep up with them in duals or tournaments. It’ll be a great year to be a Buckeye fan. That being said...

...I don’t know how anyone can watch the Jordan/Valencia match and think that the outcome will be different the next time they wrestle."

M-Rod I agree with you 100% this will be one of the best teams of all-time rather they win or not. I think Bo has problems with anyone who is slick or prolific in the neutral position. Such as Realbuto, Valencia, Miller, and Dieringer. Bo is one of the greatest Buckeyes ever! He is great but I think his foot problem will hamper him against the elite.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 13, 2017

How could you look at Metcalf tech Cladwell and think the next matches result would be any different? Get what you are saying but when a competitor is as good as Bo is, the rematch can always be different. Myles vs Nickel in NCAA title match same sceneries.

Z hit Bo with two shots right off the whistle - both to Bo’s right leg. Putting left leg on the line - and for that matter leading with left leg takes away much of Z’s offense. Every shot was to the right leg (except one double).

Bono’s definitely underdog - but not a “can’t win” underdog.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 13, 2017

Brady...I agree, it’s not insurmountable, but the same was said about Bo’s matches with Issac. I feel like Bo’s strength is his consistency. In four years, the guy gives you the same (amazing) thing every time he steps on the mat. Is it possible he summons something special come NCAA tourney time? Absolutely. Would I like to see that happen? Absolutely. Do I think it will? No. Am I wrong a lot? Yes.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next