Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Tom Brands Presser
Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 8, 2017

Interesting presser - especially about the “intel” he receives bed from Spencer Lee and his dad.

What do ya’all think?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on November 8, 2017

Link? Details? Bed?!?

William Danforth added to this discussion on November 9, 2017

Must be this.

Here's a @HawkeyeHQ web extra from wrestling media day. Interesting stuff from Tom Brands about recruiting & outside perceptions.

https://twitter.com/AdamJRossow/status/928451221354156033

Tom Brands Presser: "We're not going to know what we have until later on, and we're not in a hurry to get everything pieced together."

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2017/November/08/Tom-Brands-press-conference-transcript

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on November 9, 2017

I think these are the tells of recognition in a new era demographically and credentially...adapt or flounder:

"And you could say, Brandon Sorensen, he doesn't need it. A lunch pail guy; he doesn't need a new facility. All he needs is a mat and a little bit of heat with a roof over his head and he'll be just fine.

The bottom line is, that's not how the guys that we're trying to get in here, that's not how they think, and we need to show the future that is about winning National World Olympic Championships. The best kids in the country, the best athletes, wrestlers in the country, we need to show them that we are committed to them and their well-being through this process.

You know, it doesn't matter how Brands trained and his methods. It's 34 years old, and 34 years old is 34 years old. It's time.'"

"I'm going to tell you something. He's fun to watch. He's entertaining. He brings a lot of scoring energy, a lot of boom, boom, boom, and that's very refreshing for our fans when they know that; when they can get excited about something that they maybe haven't seen a lot of because he wasn't in the wrestle-off and a lot of his workouts are controlled right now. But use your imagination there and look at how I talk about our individuals, and I'm usually very, very conservative and reserved, and I just described Spencer Lee as boom, boom, boom. I tell you what, when he goes in there, he's smiling. He's having fun. He'll tell you, in his words, it's an awesome experience; 'this awesome', and he's growing every day."

And I don't think we'll ever see Gilman speak publically again in any noteworthy, representative capacity unless it is directly about a specific match; his recent speaking debacle would be its own chapter in that intel binder.

(I assume you meant "back" and not "bed", Mathlete...)

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on November 9, 2017

This doesn't bode well for the rest of the wrestling world. And I think there's more than a strong correlation here between Spencer Lee's arrival and the change in perception. I thought that seemed an odd fit from the beginning. And that's because this was felt to be a deviation from the norm. But it appears this could be a new normal instead.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on November 9, 2017

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"This doesn't bode well for the rest of the wrestling world. And I think there's more than a strong correlation here between Spencer Lee's arrival and the change in perception. I thought that seemed an odd fit from the beginning. And that's because this was felt to be a deviation from the norm. But it appears this could be a new normal instead."

^!

If they are sniffing it out -and Brands’s acknowledgement of a perspective that is behind the curve seems to indicate that- and they can meld an Anthony Ralph recruiter with Hawkeye history, this paradigm might shift.

Brady has inferred for years that how Cael runs his program/room/culture was blazing a trail that I interpreted was heavy on a high Relationship Quotient (RQ) as it relates to this generation of wrestlers.

As Grateful Runner-Up says: “It’s a great time to be a wrestling fan!”

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on November 9, 2017

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"This doesn't bode well for the rest of the wrestling world. And I think there's more than a strong correlation here between Spencer Lee's arrival and the change in perception. I thought that seemed an odd fit from the beginning. And that's because this was felt to be a deviation from the norm. But it appears this could be a new normal instead."

^!

If they are sniffing it out -and Brands’s acknowledgement of a perspective that is behind the curve seems to indicate that- and they can meld an Anthony Ralph recruiter with Hawkeye history, this paradigm might shift.

Brady has inferred for years that how Cael runs his program/room/culture was blazing a trail that I interpreted was heavy on a high Relationship Quotient (RQ) as it relates to this generation of wrestlers.

As Grateful Runner-Up says: “It’s a great time to be a wrestling fan!”"

Grateful Runner-Up! lol I like it!

Think about the changes we've seen over the past 10 years and the changes it has led to in the NCAA landscape. Cael to PSU. Ryan to OSU. Brands taking over Iowa. Dresser to ISU. Jones to ASU. And all of these with their accompanying powerhouse staffs. Gentleman, we are smack dab in the middle of a serious arms race. And Brands figuring out the recruiting game will definitely add to the excitement for all.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 9, 2017

I found interesting that Spencer Lee might start after all. Brands is being coy but Lee and Downey will make them formidable. Both are instant title threats. But if Lee re-injures that knee, Brands will be forever second guessed for not redshirting him.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 10, 2017

"(I assume you meant "back" and not "bed", Mathlete...)"

Letter are just variables.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on November 10, 2017

"Brady has inferred for years that how Cael runs his program/room/culture was blazing a trail that I interpreted was heavy on a high Relationship Quotient (RQ) as it relates to this generation of wrestlers."

It is -- and you see that same type of atmosphere/talk/etc. coming out of more wrestling rooms than just the one in "Un-Happy Valley come March".

► Add to the Discussion