Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Drew Mattin - UM
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 11, 2017

Very impressive start. Wins the wrestle off agains Assad and today beats #6 Russell of Edinboro. Wowza.

Hank - I'm sure you're in the know with UM. Will he RS?

Last edited by Ethan Moore on November 11, 2017; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 11, 2017

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Very impressive start. Wins the wrestle off agains Assad and today beats #6 Russell of Edinboro. Wowza.

Hank - I'm sure you're in the know with UM. Will he RS?"

Lol! I'm as in the know with UM as I am with the Buckeyes. In other words...I make educated guesses.

If I'm Joe McFarland and company, I'm "all in" this season. Best wrestler starts esp. if he has AA capability. Micic, Massa and Coon could all be finalists. Amine, Abounader, Beazley and Pantaleo are AA candidates as well. So, yes, I expect Mattlin to be the starter. If you're UM, you're feeling like this team has a shot to win it all.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 11, 2017

Sincere apologies about the misspelled name, my phone auto corrected. I miss real keyboards.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on November 20, 2017

Looks like he will not redshirt. Wrestled in the Lehigh dual and lost to Cruz 7-0. Lehigh beat Michigan pretty solidly.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on November 22, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

If I'm Joe McFarland and company, I'm "all in" this season. Best wrestler starts esp. if he has AA capability. Micic, Massa and Coon could all be finalists. Amine, Abounader, Beazley and Pantaleo are AA candidates as well. So, yes, I expect Mattlin to be the starter. If you're UM, you're feeling like this team has a shot to win it all."

What happened in the dual against Lehigh? - UM did not look like the 3rd best team in the country in that meet?

Everything that I have seen has had high expectations this year for UM, but they sure looked flat against Lehigh.

Any exlpanations?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 22, 2017

UM got their butts kicked. They were missing two starters but that doesn't explain losing 157, 174 and 184. Lehigh might be underrated.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on November 22, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"UM got their butts kicked. They were missing two starters but that doesn't explain losing 157, 174 and 184. Lehigh might be underrated."

I think a couple things are in play here. One, Lehigh has been wrestling damn good right outta the gate here lately. Two, I think UM has been underperforming thus far. They have a lineup that would be competing for a national title in most normal years. But this certainly won't be a normal year. We're at the peak of the arms race and we're seeing super teams with unparalleled depth up and down the line-up. I don't know how much stock to really put into November results when it comes to UM though. It's a long season!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 22, 2017

Chris: I put ZERO stick in November results. If Ohio State, Penn State, Oklahoma State, and Lehigh had quad and Ohio State won by a combined score of 240 to -2 (Cael threw a chair again and John went crazy during the 125 match), I still wouldn't pick Ohio State in March.

Madness. So glad #CLE2018 is only months away! See y'all soon.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on November 22, 2017

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Chris: I put ZERO stick in November results. If Ohio State, Penn State, Oklahoma State, and Lehigh had quad and Ohio State won by a combined score of 240 to -2 (Cael threw a chair again and John went crazy during the 125 match), I still wouldn't pick Ohio State in March.

Madness. So glad #CLE2018 is only months away! See y'all soon."

I wouldn't put too much stock in them either, honestly. They don't give out NCAA titles in November. November is about getting your sealegs under you in progression towards the ultimate goal. Some get there faster than others. As the season progresses we'll get a better and better picture of who are the contenders and who are the pretenders. Happy Thanksgiving, all! Go Bucks!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 23, 2017

"If Ohio State, Penn State, Oklahoma State, and Lehigh had quad and Ohio State won by a combined score of 240 to -2 (Cael threw a chair again and John went crazy during the 125 match), I still wouldn't pick Ohio State in March."
MN

Sacrilege!

Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

► Add to the Discussion