Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Eastern Michigan Open
Alex Creech added to this discussion on November 13, 2017

Here are some notable results from Ohio teams and Ohio wrestlers (that I could recall)

Ohio State
Chase Singletary: 4-1, 5th place 285 open. Lost 3-1 in SV first round, then won 4 straight.
Anthony DeCarlo: 1-2 DNP 165 open
Ryan Ferro: 0-2 DNP 165 open
Hunter Lucas: 4-1, 5th place 125 fresh\soph
Brady Koontz: 3-1, 3rd place 125 fresh\soph
Dylan Koontz: 2-2, 4th place 133 fresh\soph
Clay Ragon: 2-2, DNP 141 fresh\soph
Fritz Shierl: 3-0, 1st place 165 fresh\soph
Zach Steiner: 0-2, DNP 184 fresh\soph
Ethan Smith: 2-1, 2nd place 184 fresh\soph
Kevin Snyder: 4-1, 5th place 285 fresh\soph
Gary Traub: 3-1, 2nd place 285 fresh\soph

Cleveland State
Nick Corba: 4-1, 5th place 184 open
Caleb Stockmaster: 2-1, 2nd place 174 open
John Vaughn: 2-2, 4th place 165 open
Ryan Ford: 2-1, 2nd place 149 fresh\soph
Georgio Poullas: 2-1, 3rd place 157 fresh\soph
John Kelbly: 3-0, 1st place 197 fresh\soph

Central Michigan
Matt Stencel: 3-1, 2nd place 285 Open

Northern Illinois
Quinton Rosser: 3-1, 3rd place 174 open

Pitt
Taleb Rahmani: 4-0, 1st place 157 open

Michigan
Drew Mattin: 3-0, 1st place 125 open

Kent State
Nick Henneman: 3-1, 3rd place 141 fresh\soph
Jack Martinez: 2-2, 4th place 141 fresh\soph

Eastern Michigan
Tanner Smith: 4-0, 1st place 149 fresh\soph

Edinboro
Jon Spaulding: 2-1, 3rd place 285 fresh\soph

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 13, 2017

How good is Drew Mattin?

Matt Mace added to this discussion on November 13, 2017

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"Chase Singletary: 4-1, 5th place 285 open. Lost 3-1 in SV first round, then won 4 straight.
"

I'd really like to see Chase's loss against Faunce from Navy. From everything I can find, this was a fluke. Faunce doesn't have any big wins in his career. Wondering what happened to Chase that this went to OT.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 13, 2017

I remember Chase being in on a single at the end of regulation, but ran out of time. The Navy kid was a lot bigger than him also.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 13, 2017

Chase Singletary is a terrific wrestler but a small 285. He would likely have beaten that guy easily in any other round but the first.

Watched Chase's video from Princeton Open. He is a fine technician and keeps a deceptively quick pace that wears down opponents. He adjusts well when needed. He might well be the best wrestler out of this large group of Buck frosh. I am increasingly optimistic about his ability to compete successfully in the BT next season. But he's going to need to add size.

Honest question, given tOSU’s staff, lifting and nutrition programs, how much “good weight” can a wrestler put on in one year...and how much weight does Singletary have to put on to be successful on a national level?

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 13, 2017

FYI, Chase weighed in at just under 215 lbs. last week.

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"FYI, Chase weighed in at just under 215 lbs. last week."

I had heard that as well. That’s what prompted me to ask the question. Does he need to be 230? 240? What’s the number with his skill set, learning curve and (amazing) practice situation?

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on November 14, 2017

And looking ahead, does he have a larger frame than Kollin Moore does? Kollin has a little bit of a cut to get down to 197 himself. When Kyle Snyder is gone you would have to believe the Bucks want both Moore and Singletary in the lineup. But is there any chance Kollin goes up and Singletary drops to 197?

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on November 14, 2017

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"And looking ahead, does he have a larger frame than Kollin Moore does? Kollin has a little bit of a cut to get down to 197 himself. When Kyle Snyder is gone you would have to believe the Bucks want both Moore and Singletary in the lineup. But is there any chance Kollin goes up and Singletary drops to 197?"

Aha! Nice angle that hadn’t crossed my mind...

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"

"And looking ahead, does he have a larger frame than Kollin Moore does? Kollin has a little bit of a cut to get down to 197 himself. When Kyle Snyder is gone you would have to believe the Bucks want both Moore and Singletary in the lineup. But is there any chance Kollin goes up and Singletary drops to 197?"

Aha! Nice angle that hadn’t crossed my mind..."

It may be nothing at all and not an option to consider. But two things to consider here. One, Kollin wrestles 97kg in the off-season. And two, the next great collegiate 285 comes to college next year and I think our best chance to stay ahead of the field may be with Kollin at 285. On the other side of things, we've caught lightning in a bottle with Moore at 197 and maybe it's best not to mess with that.

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"

Aha! Nice angle that hadn’t crossed my mind..."

It may be nothing at all and not an option to consider. But two things to consider here. One, Kollin wrestles 97kg in the off-season. And two, the next great collegiate 285 comes to college next year and I think our best chance to stay ahead of the field may be with Kollin at 285. On the other side of things, we've caught lightning in a bottle with Moore at 197 and maybe it's best not to mess with that.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 14, 2017

Do you think a junior, bulked up Kollin Moore beats a true freshman Gable Stevenson at heavyweight? When you think of Stevenson, think Dalton Fix or Mark Hall, think Spencer Lee or Logan Stieber. He’s going to step in and dominate lesser foes while contending for a title in year one.

Personally, I’d keep Moore at 197 where he has shown he can be super successful and put some good weight on Singaltary. He’s got a year to focus on nothing but building his body and learning from the best in the world.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 14, 2017

With a little time in the weight room, I think he could be like Jacob Kasper of Duke. Not the biggest 285, but long and lean.

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Do you think a junior, bulked up Kollin Moore beats a true freshman Gable Stevenson at heavyweight? When you think of Stevenson, think Dalton Fix or Mark Hall, think Spencer Lee or Logan Stieber. He’s going to step in and dominate lesser foes while contending for a title in year one.

Personally, I’d keep Moore at 197 where he has shown he can be super successful and put some good weight on Singaltary. He’s got a year to focus on nothing but building his body and learning from the best in the world."

I tend to agree with you on Steveson's pedigree. However, he's not routinely attacked like he would be by a non-stop attacker like Moore. And if Moore were to win a title at 197 this year I think he could enter the realm of a freshman Steveson. Add in that Moore's drill partner for 3+ years has been perhaps the greatest NCAA heavy of all time and I'm not so certain it's a slam dunk.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next