Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Best Recruiting Class--Fall 2018
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 26, 2017

Ohio State:
Gavin Hoffman, Jaden Mattox, Sam Sasso, Quinn Kinner, Malik Heinselman, Rocky Jordan, Alex Felix are all ranked among top 100. Hoffman, and Sasso are top ten while Mattox and Kinner fall in the 20-30 range (Flo rankings). Jordan and Heinselman both are ranked in the 45-55 category while Felix is near the bottom.

Penn State:
Gavin Teasdale, Roman Bravo Young, Michael Beard, Seth Nevills and Joe Lee. All are among the top 25. Travis Wittlake was their highest ranked recruit but he de-committed.

Minnesota:
Gable Steveson, Brayton Lee, Pat McKee, Ryan Thomas. Steveson is the stud of stud recruits and it will be a surprise if he doesn't win at least 3 NCAA titles. Lee is top ten while McKee is 10-20. Ohio's Thomas is #36 in rankings.

Michigan:
Mason Parris, Will Lewan, Joey Silva are all among the top 11 recruits in the nation. All three could start and win as true frosh.

Bucks have highest volume of quality recruits while Michigan has arguably the best trio. All five PSU recruits are highly ranked while Minny has the single best recruit while B. Lee and P.McKee are also very good.

Do you like Bucks class the best? Would you swap it out for one of the other classes if you could? Just looking for thoughts as to who "won" the recruiting wars for next fall.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 26, 2017

I like what tOSU did with this year’s recruiting. That being said, I’d swap with Minnesota. There are very few “sure things” in DI wrestling. Stevenson would allow Ohio State to (possibly) own the heavyweight division for seven straight years. That would open the door for tOSU to be perceived by high school age upper-weights as “heavyweight U”. Snyder to Stevenson to the next big thing at heavyweight class of 2022.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on November 26, 2017

I agree with Michael. However, the fit of the recruits we have coming in with everything that is already in place is amazing. As a Bucks fan you really can't ask for more than filling every single void we could have down the road and working towards a lineup that allows them to compete for team titles year in, year out. The quality is there. The depth is there. And we're seeing OSU largely getting the guys they go after, with few exceptions.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on November 26, 2017

With that said, misses on Fix (last cycle), Steveson, and Carr sting. But out of those three I never really believed anyone but Ok State, Minnesota, and Iowa State ever really had a shot at landing them. The fact we were in the hunt with all three speaks volumes of the caliber of kids we're going after though.

Jason Russell added to this discussion on November 26, 2017

I think Jaden Matrix is going to turn out to be a hell of a college wrestler when it's all said and done.

Jake Burcher added to this discussion on November 26, 2017

Never heard of this Jaden Matrix. Lol

Jason Russell added to this discussion on November 26, 2017

Quote from Jake Burcher's post:

"Never heard of this Jaden Matrix. Lol"

Auto correct is both a blessing and a curse!

William Danforth added to this discussion on November 26, 2017

Gavin Hoffman finishes runner-up at Mat-Town Open

197 Finals Noah Adams (Unatt-WVU) DEC Gavin Hoffman (Unatt-Montoursville), 4-3

Semi-Finals Gavin Hoffman (Unatt-Montoursville) DEC Brian Kennerly (Virginia), 3-2

Qtrs Gavin Hoffman (Unatt-Montoursville) MD Logan Womelsdorf (Bloomsburg), 15-5

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on November 26, 2017

I will never refer to him as anything but Jaden Matrix from here on out. Fantastic nickname.

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on November 27, 2017

Give me our recruiting class over them all. Matrix (mattox) has a win over Carr and his ceiliing is unlimited, especially after rolling with logie bear for a couple years. He will grow leaps and bounds and may surpass them all. Hoffman beat Beard, enough said. We know what we get with a Jordan. Sasso is on of the most dangerous wrestlers in the country, just wait until jaggers gets a hold of him. Malik is a wild card, can he grow into the weight? I'm not sold but I'm hopeful. Quinn is a hammer, beat 3 top 10 guys to finish 3rd at the 32's, boom. The state of the union is strong.

The impotent facet is that we have athletes who possess strong character, commitment to betterment and ability to be coached. We all remember when Kyle turned the corner, a once in a lifetime athlete and man, for sure, but if you don't realize what Tervel's, #guru, philosophy and insight offered to the process then you are mistaken. We have the best coaching staff in the nation and probably on planet earth. Get used to winning it's not stopping soon.

Important.
I'm the only one who's impotent, horrible cheese grating accident...

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on November 27, 2017

I agree with Chris' comment that OSU did such a great job of filling in any holes that they may have in the next 4 years, that this class is optimal for OSU.

As previously stated in this blog, in the last two years, the Bucks have recruited all 10 weight classes, that barring injury and lack of development or unexpected discipline issues, it appears that they have a solid core in place for the long term. - We haven't seem to have that core depth in the past.

The depth and the plan for the future is solid. I am excited to see how it plays out in the next four years!

► Add to the Discussion