Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: CKLV 2017
Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on December 2, 2017

What do you guys think of Zeke Jones throwing the cube in Bo's match? Unethical or just good coaching?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 3, 2017

Quote from Bruce Andrews's post:

"What do you guys think of Zeke Jones throwing the cube in Bo's match? Unethical or just good coaching?"

Your job as coach is to help your wrestlers win. I was pissed when he did it but I'd have done it too.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 13, 2017

Just watched the match. Zahid tapped the mat just prior to the brick throw. Zeke was doing what his wrestler was asking of him.

Zahid thought he was out of bounds or his intensity let up on the edge of the mat or both. Either way it looked like his pace had taken a toll and left him a bit fatigued, which influenced the events that immediately followed.

Bo did a much better job of stalking him and came out of position one time on his feet giving up a single to his Left side (which is usually the weaker defense on a right dominant lead leg). Also, he went around the waist rather than grabbing an ankle in countering. He doesn't have leverage against Zahid which he has against most other wrestlers. That is one of those Askren positions that is ambiguous but highly winnable if you have spent a lot of time there and understand what wins it. If my memory serves me, he ended up there against Hall. Realbuto too. Sure does get there a lot. That is a position he needs to own and rely on skillset rather than athleticism or opponent being unsure of position.

Not as worried about the suck back. I file that one under trick me once shame on you, trick me twice same on me. I don't think that one happens again with a little mindfulness.

It was a nice takedown on the edge by Bo. One thing I really like about Bo is that he is so steady and a constant pace, not a sprint but an uncomfortable stride which takes its toll on wrestlers late in the match (if they don't take a time out).

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on December 13, 2017

Rex,
Do you agree with the no stall call on Zahid? I think the stall call on Bo was pretty quick and was surprised they didn’t hit Valencia.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 15, 2017

Not stalling on Bo imo. I thought it was bogus and ref maybe got caught up in emotion rather than being objective.

Bo was down 6-0. Almost got pinned. Wrestled with composure and aggression with no indication of being upset or rattled thereafter. Sign of a extremely disciplined and focused athlete.

Bo scores takedown. Zahid slow to get back to center. Zahid noticeably not as sharp but getting off attacks. Hanging on. Zahid false started (another indication of fatigue.) Zahid hanging on the edge. Bo gets another takedown by wrestling on the edge. Calls a timeout.

Moves backward for a minute and a half. Yes, stall call. Possibly multiple.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on December 15, 2017

Even though Bo lost; I am seeing a guy that is beginning to look like what we envisioned him to be.

A relentless hammer with full gas tank, hemi and Brands' style attacks. Bo's snaps are brutally good.

Zahid wrestling a full third period with no breaks is different. He was getting very close to redlining.

Fatigue is proportional to position. The more you fatigue, the worse your position gets. His fatigue was substantial and would have been more with no breaks. When position goes, scoring happens. Bo's position did not falter and the resoluteness of it reminds me of Snyder (minus the first period.)

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3