Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Post Vegas Buckeye Thoughts
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 3, 2017

Here goes:

Let's not overrate Pletcher's performance nor undervalue it. He's a fine technician with an excellent defensive posture and good counter attacks. He will always have close matches and that can backfire. But that was a big win over Micic. And Terao's style played into his hands. Very good tourney for Pletch. No longer any doubts about his ability to AA.

Ke-Shawn Hayes looked very good. He's big enough for the weight and does a lot of slick things that are hard to defend. He blew his semi match but came back strong. As he gets a little sharper with his focus and strategy, he will emerge as a potential top 3-4 guy at the weight.

Micah Jordan also had a good tournament. Micah wrestled well on bottom and tore up weaker opponents. He wore out Shields in the semis and then simply faced off in the finals against an opponent with a very tough style to solve. I was encouraged by Micah but came away hugely impressed with Panataleo as well.

Te-Shan Campbell is a solid, unspectacular wrestler with good defense. He needs to find ways to score on his feet and has to get better at getting breakdowns off the whistle as his top game is his strength. He can AA but needs to find a sharp offensive attack.

BoJo wrestled well against Amine in the semis in a match with team title implications. I'd like to see him do a better job getting guys flat on top so he can work them. His biggest challenge this year will be consistently defeating the handful of tough guys who are just below him (Amine, Kutler and the Mizzou kid).

Myles Martin is one of the best wrestlers in the country. Venz was white hot and he crushed him. Abounader entered finals having dominated and the best he could do against Myles was slow him down enough to keep it kind of close. Myles and Bo Nickal could wrestle three times in theory. Anything can happen in those matches as they are two extraordinary talents. I'm loving Myles right now.

Kollin Moore entered this tournament still recovering from injury and nowhere near 100%. His pace was off and his timing suffered as a result. Yet he still won it. A lot of fine wrestlers got upset in Vegas. Why was he not one of them? Desire...guts....a willingness to give everything he had in each match in order to win. He's a warrior and will get a lot sharper in the weeks ahead.

About 141: McKenna has his hands full. Heil, Yianni, Meredith and Jack are all outstanding. The Mizzou kid is very good as well. This weight could be huge for team title implications.

About 125: It's Nate's weight to win if he's ok with the cut. I suspect he will be.

For Mark Neimann--Kyle Snyder is good. I've noticed.

Last edited by Hank Kornblut on December 4, 2017; edited 2 times in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 3, 2017

Not one mention of Kyle Snyder. Wow. Hank - hatred is not good for your heart.

BTW: I was asked if this is the best the Buckeyes have looked in December. My thought was yes, because this is the best team I believe we’ve had before. Thus, it stands to reason that this would be our best December.

I think the main thing is making small adjustments moving into B1G duals in order to maximize any momentum for March.

Let’s GOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on December 3, 2017

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Not one mention of Kyle Snyder. Wow. Hank - hatred is not good for your heart."

Hankers gonna hank.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 3, 2017

I saw someone asked how Coon would fare against Snyder. I’m seriously think of setting he line at 6.5 in Captain Anerica’s Favor. Wondering also if even that is too low!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 3, 2017

Snyder is the best wrestler in the world. Is that good enough?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 4, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Snyder is the best wrestler in the world. Is that good enough?"

Most certainly! The only question I have is that if he stops out AFTER winning his third NCAA title, would you provide him with someof your choicest meats, on the house??? You think he’s a brisket guy or a pastrami guy???

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 4, 2017

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Snyder is the best wrestler in the world. Is that good enough?"

Most certainly! The only question I have is that if he stops out AFTER winning his third NCAA title, would you provide him with someof your choicest meats, on the house??? You think he’s a brisket guy or a pastrami guy???"

Both.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on December 4, 2017

Both!?!?!? He’d be a fool to not stop out!!!

► Add to the Discussion