Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio U Wrestling
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on December 7, 2017

I sort of know what's happening with CSU and Kent. But it's hard to tell what's going on at OU. Obvious observation--they're not very good.

1) Their two best wrestlers--Cam Kelly and Shakur Laney--are listed at the same weight with Laney redshirting.

2) Colt Sponseller is their lead assistant

3) They have a lot of frosh on the roster.

Can anyone give me a little insight as to what's happening in Athens? Luke Moore?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on December 7, 2017

Hank - I follow the program as closely as I can from afar. Here is what I believe is accurate:

1. Laney has an injury, so he is red shirting. However, Guillen should fill in more than adequately. It hurts to have probably your best kids RSing, but will help in the long run.

I think Guillen will be a NQ. He has missed several meets, not sure why. He needs to compete.

2. Forrider is bumping to 49 but also is injured. He was a NQ last year, not having him in the line up hurts.

3. Reese is back and performing well. He was a NQ as a freshman. He will be again this year.

4. The freshman Hagan has had a great start to the season with some solid wins at 41. I think he's like 16-3.

5. Kelly looks very sharp. He is scoring points in bunches.

6. 74, 84, and 97 are a mess. Not sure if it is some kids haven't developed or they missed in recruiting, but they are getting very little production from those weights.

7. Parker has under performed to start the season at heavy. He was a NQ last season, he needs to get better.

In summary - I think they can qualify at 25, 33, 41, 49, and 65. Maybe 285. They are struggling in duals with Guillen and Forrider out, plain and simple.

74-97 will remain a big challenge unless someone emerges.

My two cents.

Don Bork added to this discussion on December 7, 2017

Hank you listed about everything I was aware of. Seems to be a rebuilding year. Cam Kelly looks to be doing pretty well. Will be interested to see how they work he and Shakur into the lineup next year

► Add to the Discussion