Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Economic impact of wrestling on NE Ohio
Matt Mace added to this discussion on January 3, 2018

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20180103/blogs06/147266/sports-commission-estimates-10-big-events-it-will-host-2018-will-top

In an article on the economic impact of the 10 biggest events hosted by Greater Cleveland Sports Commission in 2018, Crain's highlights the NCAA D1 finals in the article and expects it to have a $15 million impact. 3 of the 7 events that are expected to have at least $1 million impact are wrestling. In addition to D1 championships, NCAA D3 Championships will also be in Cleveland and the USA Wrestling Cadet and University National Championships are each projected to have a $1 million impact.
These events bring in lots of out of town guests that stay multiple nights at area hotels. It states that wrestling has a "cult-like following".

This article only mentions events that will be hosted by the GCSC, but Walsh Ironman is another local economic stimulant with all of the out of town guests it brings in.

I know people love St Louis, but enough already! NCAA needs to spread the wealth to other cities that support wrestling too. St Louis has hosted 8 times since 2000 and has 2021 locked up already.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 3, 2018

Hopefully half of that money goes to Hank!

Concerning site: I'd like to see NCAAs rotate but use STL as the hub.

EX:
2018: Cleveland
2019: STL
2020: Denver
2021: STL
2022: OKC
2023: STL
2024: NC or TN

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on January 3, 2018

I'd like to see Indianapolis host. Great arena with lots of hotels and eateries within walking distance. The city hosts the Big Ten basketball tournament every couple years and it gets good reviews from fans. Same with the Big Ten football championship although that's just one day.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on January 3, 2018

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Hopefully half of that money goes to Hank!

Concerning site: I'd like to see NCAAs rotate but use STL as the hub.

EX:
2018: Cleveland
2019: STL
2020: Denver
2021: STL
2022: OKC
2023: STL
2024: NC or TN"

Ouch! So you'd like NCAA to increase the number of times that they go to St Louis. Just curious why? Is it that much better than all other sites?

Future dates that have been determined are:
2018:Cleveland
2019:Pittsburgh
2020:Minneapolis
2021:St Louis
2022:Detroit

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 4, 2018

I do believe I’ve been to STL twice and both times I enjoyed it. And it is centrally located. Having it in STL allows for most teams to travel to support their guys. I dislike the idea of the event taking place in an overly awkward location - such as Miami, FL, Maine, or Seattle, Washington (not that anyone has mentioned it but I offer them as examples as to why STL is a good fit). All great places in their own right I’m sure.

I missed listing Indy. I like that!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 4, 2018

The dirty little secret is that the majority of D1 programs are in the east. St Louis is central to Oklahoma and Iowa.

Cleveland, Philly, NY, Columbus are much more central locations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_wrestling_programs

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on January 7, 2018

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"The dirty little secret is that the majority of D1 programs are in the east. St Louis is central to Oklahoma and Iowa.

Cleveland, Philly, NY, Columbus are much more central locations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_wrestling_programs"

Agreed, Hank.

Here is a map of all NCAA, NAIA, and NJCAA college wrestling teams https://batchgeo.com/map/c0e81f035bb980370884a6157e67ed9a

Not 100% up to date, as it still shows Boise State, but it supports the argument that the D1 tournament would be best suited somewhere east of the Mississippi. Somewhere in Ohio or Indiana would be driving distance for almost three quarters of the teams' fans.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 8, 2018

Jeff: the more I thought about Indianapolis, the more I loved the idea! Perfect location!

Matt Mace added to this discussion on February 26, 2018

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20180225/news/152956/NCAA-wrestling-should-pack-economic-punch-cleveland

Hallie Yavitch's job is to ensure that Quicken Loans Arena remains busy.

She knows as well as anyone that there are very few guarantees in the events business. One that's a slam-dunk draw — the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships — is coming to The Q next month.

"When you are bidding (to host the event), they tell you it's basically a sellout before you've even sold a ticket," said Yavitch, the Cleveland Cavaliers' vice president of event booking. "In the events world, which is what I do, there's never a bankable one where you're like, 'It's sold out before (tickets are available).' It doesn't matter if you have a great show. You just never know."

With NCAA wrestling, however, you do, which is why the three-day Division I tournament is one of the NCAA's showcase events — and why landing the event was such a coup for the Greater Cleveland Sports Commission.

During the most recent four-year bid cycle, there were as many as 22 bids to host the D-I wrestling championships in a given year. That's up from 13 and eight in the previous two four-year cycles, Holman said.

Cleveland, because "it's an unproven product," and because there was some uncertainty about The Q's transformation project at the time the bids were being awarded last year, wasn't among the selections for the 2019-22 Division I wrestling championships.

Still, in recent months, Holman said he has become a prominent Northeast Ohio booster.

"My personal opinion is I drastically underestimated and did not understand all that Cleveland had to offer," the nine-year NCAA veteran said. "I've had to be educated, and now I'm one of the biggest fans and I'm touting the city big-time."

He cited the flexibility of The Q and its staff, the proximity of quality downtown hotels to the venue, and the city's central location.

"Of our 76 (D-I wrestling) programs, 34 of them are within 400 miles of Cleveland," Holman said.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on February 26, 2018

Quote from Matt Mace's post:

"http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20180103/blogs06/147266/sports-commission-estimates-10-big-events-it-will-host-2018-will-top

It states that wrestling has a "cult-like following".
"

Are they saying that wrestlers are Cultish?

NO WAY!

Hey Niemann! Have you watched Vision Quest Lately?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 26, 2018

Pat: I was able to get in a View last week prior to the sectional tournament. Looking forward to another viewing next week!

► Add to the Discussion