Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Ohio State v. Rutgers
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 8, 2018

Turns out I taped the match so I watched last night.

1) Rutgers wrestled well. Even when out-matched they fought. Myles was an exception. He knows what to do with an inferior opponent. Same for Kyle.

2) Bo Jordan didn't look hurt but I wonder if he is banged up? He lacked fire. He didn't look like he was even trying to ride. As someone else previously said, I miss the long hair Bo from his redshirt frosh campaign. That guy crushed a lot of opponents.

3) Campbell v Lewis was a good match. Came down to a third period TD. Looked like a battle between 2 AA caliber guys.

4) Pletcher's win was nice for two reasons. First, he gutted out a minute of riding time simply by staying active and using good mat returns. Then he got a TD when it really mattered. Delvechio is solid and was in front of his home crowd. Another good job by "Cool Hand" Luke.

5) Micah Jordan also continues to wrestle well. Van Brill is solid but Micah just consistently built his lead by working hard to finish shots. I like the Micah Jordan I've seen this season. I never feel like he's not giving his best effort.

6) McKenna is a steady, solid performer. Nothing fancy but he stays in good position and capitalizes when opportunities arise. He is at a brutal weight but Heil, Eierman, Yianni, Jack and Meredith are all outside the BT.
Wonder how that will affect seeding down the road? His toughest conference opponent will probably be Lee from PSU if he's pulled from redshirt.

7) Respect to the Rutgers crowd. They were into the match and the team responded. They recognized every good effort by their wrestlers even in losing causes.

8) Hayes ran into a greco stud and the guys hips and upper body gave him a hard time. You beat those guys with leg attacks and riding. Hayes rode well. But his leg attacks didn't materialize. Sad thing is he still had the match in hand until the second throw. It was a loss he can learn from but I wonder how many future opponents will now consider the idea of going up top with him?

9) Mead was game against Suriano but hopelessly outmatched. His D needs to get better. I'd like to have seen him slow down some of those leg attacks.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 8, 2018

Nothing is harder on the planet than being a 5th year D1 senior wrestler. These guys have been hurt since they were 18. Bo perhaps just showing a little wear and tear, nothing to be concerned about.

Perhaps Coach Ryan will continue to show discretion with Bo with the ultimate goal being a couple months away. They have that luxury with this line up.

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Nothing is harder on the planet than being a 5th year D1 senior wrestler. These guys have been hurt since they were 18. Bo perhaps just showing a little wear and tear, nothing to be concerned about.

Perhaps Coach Ryan will continue to show discretion with Bo with the ultimate goal being a couple months away. They have that luxury with this line up."

Very fair comment.

Matthew O'Hara added to this discussion on January 8, 2018

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"Bo seemed rather pedestrian against an inferior opponent. His heavily wrapped knee and missed match Friday may be a pause for concern. NATO, Micky, Tesean, and Bo all seem to have injuries or heavily wrapped knees. January is a grind in the big ten, and injuries could be the one major derailment into title contention. Let's hope they can all stay healthy."

Micah has wrestled with his leg taped for the past 2 years or so. nothing to worry about

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 8, 2018

Did I miss something? I thought Bo dominated the kid. The score might only say 7-3 but the kid got 3 escapes and did everything he could not to get turned.

Tough crowd.

Matt Schein added to this discussion on January 8, 2018

I think Hayes will be fine. Got caught. Stuff happens. Getting tossed the second time was frustrating but it's early January. I didn't like the attitude of the Rutgers kid. Tosses Hayes and sticks his tongue out. After the first throw he was still losing and your team is getting killed.

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"Did I miss something? I thought Bo dominated the kid. The score might only say 7-3 but the kid got 3 escapes and did everything he could not to get turned.

Tough crowd."

Not trying to start a big fight but you and I saw a different match. Bo barely rode this kid. Maybe he was just really tough on bottom?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 8, 2018

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"Did I miss something? I thought Bo dominated the kid. The score might only say 7-3 but the kid got 3 escapes and did everything he could not to get turned.

Tough crowd."

Not trying to start a big fight but you and I saw a different match. Bo barely rode this kid. Maybe he was just really tough on bottom?"

We will agree to disagree. But he did have over 2 minutes of riding time.
Time

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 9, 2018

Bo took several good, hard shots that I haven't seen him take in awhile.

But the key power up is the lack of Thor hair; cutting it was clearly his greatest misstep.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2