Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: February 18th is a must-win for McKenna
Jeff Streu added to this discussion on January 7, 2018

With McKenna missing the first part of the season due to U23's, and with the top 5 ranked guys being non-Big Ten, McKenna isn't going to get a ton of ranked matches prior to the post-season. That could potentially hurt seeding. Luckily, OSU will face NC State on February 18th.

141 is gonna be tough regardless, but if McKenna can get a win over Jack and keep his record clean through Big Ten's he might get the 1 seed at Nationals, since every other top 5 guy has at least one loss to another top 5 guy. If he loses to Jack, his seed would be a dice roll for anywhere from 2-6. That match, IMO, is a must win.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Cory Surles added to this discussion on January 7, 2018

The number 1 seed would be nice...but I don’t think the seeds matter much 1-6...any all those matches are toss ups..

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 7, 2018

Quote from Cory Surles's post:

"The number 1 seed would be nice...but I don’t think the seeds matter much 1-6...any all those matches are toss ups.."

It's a brilliant weight. I love Yianni D but am also a big fan of Jack, Meredith, Eierman and McKenna. Then there's Heil. Is he cracking under the pressure to win a third? Or have the rules changes simply taken away his greatest advantage?

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on January 7, 2018

"The number 1 seed would be nice...but I don’t think the seeds matter much 1-6...any all those matches are toss ups.."

I think they do matter somewhat - a 1 or 2 seed would mean his quarterfinal opponent would be someone other than Heil, Jack, Meredith, Eierman, or Diakomihalis. A 3-8 seed would mean he'd probably have to go through one of them just to make the semis.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

It's a brilliant weight. I love Yianni D but am also a big fan of Jack, Meredith, Eierman and McKenna. Then there's Heil. Is he cracking under the pressure to win a third? Or have the rules changes simply taken away his greatest advantage?"

I really think that rule change affected Heil more than anyone on the country! He was always in that position. It took away a go to for him and it’s going to be hard for him going forwards.

Quote from Jeff Streu's post:

"

I think they do matter somewhat - a 1 or 2 seed would mean his quarterfinal opponent would be someone other than Heil, Jack, Meredith, Eierman, or Diakomihalis. A 3-8 seed would mean he'd probably have to go through one of them just to make the semis."

Makes sense! But how many of times we see an upset and they have to meet one of these hammers in the blood round. You never know...but I think the top 6 will only lose to one of the top 6 barring injury. But I see what you saying..it’s probably best to go against the 8 for the semi’s...but not do or die

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 8, 2018

Seeding always matters--we just don't know how much. And being a higher seed is not always an advantage. What one wants is to get to the quarters and be matched up against the guy one is most likely to beat.

I have no idea how McKenna matches up against any of the top guys. Each poses unique difficulties. Jack and Meredith are brutal on top with great low leg attacks. Yianni D is the best counter wrestler in the country--shoot on him at your own peril. Eierman is the most dangerous guy at the weight. Heil is the guy you'd most like to wrestle at the moment in my opinion simply because he can't flop around and it has obviously affected him. But John Smith and staff are certainly capable of getting him back on track by March.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on January 8, 2018

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Heil is the guy you'd most like to wrestle at the moment in my opinion simply because he can't flop around and it has obviously affected him. But John Smith and staff are certainly capable of getting him back on track by March."

Let's not get carried away. Heil has lost 2 VERY close matches to 2 very good wrestlers. He lost to Meredith deep in overtime after being completely gassed due to altitude, I assume. He lost to Jack to a last second take down. Both had only 1 take down, but Jack's came at the end of the match without enough time for Heil to get an escape to even it up.
I still think Heil is the man to beat at 141. He's beaten Eierman, he's beaten Jack, Meredith and McKenna multiple times, he is a 2 time national champ. He knows what it takes to win it.
For me the biggest question mark is Diakomihalis. He beat Meredith but lost to Eierman and will not be tested, seriously, again until NCAAs.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 8, 2018

Matt: I agree but that might be the best match-up for McKenna. However, I'm speculating. Sometimes I feel like I have a clue. On this topic...nope. Rarely does a weight have at least half a dozen guys who are all capable of winning it. 141 is the exception.

► Add to the Discussion