Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: Iowa v Ohio State
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 15, 2018

Big one coming up. Having it in C-bus makes a huge difference.

125: Lee v Nate--Lee gassed bad late in his match with Piccinni. If Nate slows him down early and keeps away from the tilts, I see him pulling away and winning a solid dec with a shot at a MD. 3-0

133: Pletch v Faux--dec for Bucks 6-0

141: J-Mack v Turk--dec for Bucks 9-0

149: Hayes v Sorenson--Sorenson makes too few mistakes and probably gets Iowa on the board. 9-3

157: Micah v Kemmerer--intriguing matchup. Kemmerer will look to slow Micah down and control the mat wrestling. Advantage Iowa based on last season's NCAA finishes. 9-6

165: T-Campbell v Marinelli--Marinelli's style is basically great defense and opportunistic scoring. He wrestles a lot like frosh year Bo esp. when stuffing his opponent's shots. Not a surprise as both went to Graham. I think Campbell has a real shot to pull a mild upset in this one but let's call it 9-9.

174: Bo v Gunther--Hard to say which Bo shows up but I'd like to see the more aggressive one. 12-9 tOSU

184: Myles v Bowman--Bowman is better than anticipated but he's not used to someone as fast, athletic and powerful as MyMar. 16-9 tOSU

197: Moore v Wilcke--Wilcke is another Hawk who has been better than expected but he's not going to keep the pace. 19-9 tOSU

285: Snyder v Stoll--Stoll could challenge for an NCAA title if pushouts were worth a point. But he doesn't have the stamina or athleticism to hang with the champ. 23-9 tOSU.

Thoughts?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 15, 2018

Rumor has it Pat Downey could be making is Hawkeye debut against the Bucks at 184.

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"Rumor has it Pat Downey could be making is Hawkeye debut against the Bucks at 184."

I don't think he can make the weight. If he does, he'll get throttled.

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on January 15, 2018

125- Great match up here, very similar styles. Nathan will be too strong for spencers 2 on 1. Nathan overwhelms him, scores a lot late wins the match 9 to 3.
133- Pletcher is the new Dake; win by a little. So hard to take down and rarely out of position, his re-attacks are top level stuff. Pletcher wins 7 to 4.
141- Joey is going to be just fine this year. Like many of the other Ohio State wrestlers Joey should just stay on his feet and never go under unless wrestling a tight match. He should've never gone under in that Minnesota match, coaches need to recognize these things. They did the same thing with Micky early in his career. Keep Joey on his feet, 8 to 5 McKenna.
149- Hayes still figuring out the weight class, fatiguing at end of matches at the moment. All will be well come March. Would have liked to see Tom make the call and had Hayes start building his frame in the off-season instead of trying to wrestle off at 141.
Sorenson looked amazing against boo at the Oklahoma State match. I think Hayes will hold a lot better position than boo but still gets overwhelmed, Sorensen 9 - 3.
157- Kemmerer looks possessed but Mick is showing a determination that I have not seen in the past. Kemmerer still to much, 9 - 5.
165- Let's hope Campbell figures it out before Big Tens. Marinelli 6 - 3.
174- What happened to Bo's top game? Jordan in a tight one, 7 - 4
184- Miles has been my favorite person to watch this year, unbelievable. Hard to see how anyone keeps up with him, including Bo Nickel. Martin 13 - 5.
197- Kollin showing great pace, as always. Will only get stronger as March approaches, in a tough one here though. Kollin, 9 - 7.
285- Zeus

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on January 15, 2018

All indications are that PDIII will be joining the Hawks for this one. Time table matches up to his potential eligibility and I believe it's going to happen. With that said, 184 or 197 is the question here?

Regardless, I'd be super surprised to see the Bucks pull off a 25-9 match here. It'll be closer than that.

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"All indications are that PDIII will be joining the Hawks for this one. Time table matches up to his potential eligibility and I believe it's going to happen. With that said, 184 or 197 is the question here?

Regardless, I'd be super surprised to see the Bucks pull off a 25-9 match here. It'll be closer than that."

I had it 23-9 and it was a non homer assessment unless you think picking Nate was a homer move. Tell me how it's closer?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 15, 2018

The Iowa posters don't believe Stoll will wrestle this match unless a win at 285 wins the dual. They also believe Downey will wrestle 184 for the dual.

I don't see Bucks sitting anyone for the dual except maybe Snyder. But I could see Bucks wrestling a lot of backups against MSU and Purdue and get the guys ready for PSU, Michigan and NCST.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

"All indications are that PDIII will be joining the Hawks for this one. Time table matches up to his potential eligibility and I believe it's going to happen. With that said, 184 or 197 is the question here?

Regardless, I'd be super surprised to see the Bucks pull off a 25-9 match here. It'll be closer than that."

I had it 23-9 and it was a non homer assessment unless you think picking Nate was a homer move. Tell me how it's closer?"

No, I think Iowa just finds a way to make it closer. The homer in me thinks this should be a blowout. But that never happens against Iowa.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 15, 2018

I agree that it “never happens against iowa”, but the difference is, Ohio State has never fielded a team like this one...even when they won the title. It’s not at Carver, the matches will go as the “should”, this one’s not close. Seven bouts to three.

Patrick Niemann added to this discussion on January 15, 2018

Thanks for the optimistic prediction sure to go wrong Mike.

This is one of those things in life you go with your gut on and hope your gut is wrong. I'd love to see utter domination here. But on top of it being Iowa, they're gaining steam and hitting on all cylinders right now. Add in a resurgent PDIII and the Hawks are getting a reason to think they're becoming contenders again. Again, I'm as much homer as anyone and I hope I'm wrong.

Britt Malinsky added to this discussion on January 15, 2018

"

"

I had it 23-9 and it was a non homer assessment unless you think picking Nate was a homer move. Tell me how it's closer?"

No, I think Iowa just finds a way to make it closer. The homer in me thinks this should be a blowout. But that never happens against Iowa."

Oh, really? http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-wrestl/recaps/012012aab.html

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 15, 2018

Quote from Patrick Niemann's post:

"Thanks for the optimistic prediction sure to go wrong Mike."

HA HA HA!!!!!!! Niemann calls the bitter one on his #KissOfDeath. Classic.

I know this - each match (sans 133) - will be highly contested and GREAT for us fans. I expect a PACKED house at The Schott. Let’s go, Buckeye fans. Let’s show up and cheer on the team.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on January 15, 2018

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"The Iowa posters don't believe Stoll will wrestle this match unless a win at 285 wins the dual. They also believe Downey will wrestle 184 for the dual.

I don't see Bucks sitting anyone for the dual except maybe Snyder. But I could see Bucks wrestling a lot of backups against MSU and Purdue and get the guys ready for PSU, Michigan and NCST."

I don't think there is any chance Kyle will sit out his final home match in C-bus.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on January 15, 2018

"

I think your assessment is pretty safe. Upsets happen and decisions can turn into majors but I don't have it any differently.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next