Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Myles Martin v Pat Downey
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 15, 2018

Iowa fans seem to think he'll debut against the Bucks at 184.

I think Downey is super talented but this is not likely to go well for him. He's going to make a huge cut and take the mat against Myles Martin in Columbus....Martin is wrestling at a high level and is used to the weight....I just think Myles is going to pound the p-ss out of him. Might take a few minutes but once he gasses it will be all Myles.

Am I crazy?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on January 16, 2018

What does the comment about Myles and Downey have to do with whether you are crazy or not?

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on January 16, 2018

Downey was at 189 for world team trials where I believe he beat Gabe Dean. I'm thinking he can probably shed five more pounds off that frame. I don't think the cut is gonna be that hard for him. If Martin wrestles from space Downey is in trouble. Downey is a brute and works mostly off of ties, he wrestles a lot like Sammy Brooks, which we all know is a horrible matchup for Martin. It's gonna be an interesting match.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 16, 2018

Quote from Bruce Andrews's post:

"What does the comment about Myles and Downey have to do with whether you are crazy or not?"

Thanks for a good laugh.

Quote from Liam Bateman's post:

"Downey was at 189 for world team trials where I believe he beat Gabe Dean. I'm thinking he can probably shed five more pounds off that frame. I don't think the cut is gonna be that hard for him. If Martin wrestles from space Downey is in trouble. Downey is a brute and works mostly off of ties, he wrestles a lot like Sammy Brooks, which we all know is a horrible matchup for Martin. It's gonna be an interesting match."

Different weigh in rules.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on January 16, 2018

Sammy Brooks certainly more than any other competitor seemed to be Myles cryptonite. I'm sure he and the coaches are keenly aware of the stylistic problems that he presented. Knowing that I have to imagine that they've been working on that aspect of his technique. I have to say that I thought Abounader would've given him a tough time as well, but Martin tore him up (anyone watch Nicol v Abounader this weekend?). I agree with Hank. The match this weekend will be one version, but then if they meet again it will undoubtedly be a shootout. One thing about Downey is he's nuts. There is no part of him that doesn't believe he can beat anyone.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on January 16, 2018

The difference is My Martin has fully grown into 184 this season. Some guys were able to use pure horse power against him last year. We should all remember that he never had a red-shirt to fully develop the sizes needed to compete at a national championship level at 184 pounds. He is the best 184 in the country and he'll prove it in March. PD is a good wrestler but he can't slow Myles down on his feet.

Quote from Chris Thomas's post:

"The difference is My Martin has fully grown into 184 this season. Some guys were able to use pure horse power against him last year. We should all remember that he never had a red-shirt to fully develop the sizes needed to compete at a national championship level at 184 pounds. He is the best 184 in the country and he'll prove it in March. PD is a good wrestler but he can't slow Myles down on his feet."

Good point.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on January 16, 2018

I watched the Nickal vs Abounader match last night on the Big10 channel. Abounader should have won that match. He got homered at home.

John Drumm added to this discussion on January 16, 2018

...Plus Myles has THE toughest work-out partner in the world. [insert after Chris Thomas's post]

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 16, 2018

Watched a FS video from last summer, Taylor & Nickel teched Downey. D.T. got in the legs a lot and Nickel gut wrenched Downey. I think Myles could get some good tilt points with this guy, and should be able to get to the leg attacks, but be careful with the over-under, that seems to be a favorite of Downey. Looking for the big throw.

Good point Jack. There's no way Downey is ready to go a full seven minutes with Myles. Stay away from the big move and tire him out.

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on January 16, 2018

I think Myles Martin is wrestling on another level this yr. I like him this Sunday or in March.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 18, 2018

Downey isn't listed on the pre match line ups and isn't listed on the roster so i would be shocked if he wrestles.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on January 19, 2018

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"Downey isn't listed on the pre match line ups and isn't listed on the roster so i would be shocked if he wrestles."

I noticed the same thing this morning regarding Iowa's roster. I guess it's possible that their roster could get updated today or tomorrow, but if not, I don't see how he'd be eligible/cleared to compete Sunday if he's not on the roster.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next