Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Dear Tom Ryan
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 20, 2018

Ok. I understand holding out Nato vs Suriano. I have your back on that one. But after watching Gross v Meredith as part of a great dual the other night--one I probably would have otherwise ignored--I have a suggestion for the Iowa dual.

Start it at 133. You have a great crowd and a legendary opponent. And the best matchup of the night is Nato v Lee. So make that the last match. While I'm hoping/expecting you guys to win comfortably, this will change a few things.

First, the crowd will stay. No early exits if the premier bout is the last one. Secondly, if the match is winnable on paper for Iowa, they will not forfeit to Snyder. Stoll will take the mat. That's a win for the crowd and TV audience as well.

Bucks and Iowa are both undefeated. Plenty of solid match ups. Let's do it right.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

William Danforth added to this discussion on January 20, 2018

Both coaches have to agree. Iowa matches always start at 125. I support the idea of starting at 133 but Tom Brands won't.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on January 20, 2018

Even if the match starts at 125, nobody is going to leave until Snyder wrestles, no matter who the opponent is.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 20, 2018

Quote from Rob Wagner's post:

"Even if the match starts at 125, nobody is going to leave until Snyder wrestles, no matter who the opponent is."

That was my thought! Again, we’ve been spoiled over the (roughly) 8 years. Spoiled, I say.

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on January 20, 2018

if the dual meet score is out of reach for Iowa do you think Brands might forfeit heavyweight in order to avoid Stoll getting re-injured? That would certainly be a shame if that happened.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 20, 2018

Yes, spoiled. Was watching MSU v IU last night and no slight intended, but OSU has a great team.

Hank's idea is great and I love that Meredith and Gross carried the event on their shoulders. That is amazing and a different mindset than what is embraced by most coaches.

As a fan I want to see great wrestling or mismatches in which great technique is abundant.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on January 20, 2018

Persaonlyy, I would end the dual with Bo Jordan, who has made some crazy sacrifices to have a phenomenal career. I feel he is often the most over looked of this class due to the crazy accomplishments of Snyder and NaTo. Let him have his moment to shine!

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 20, 2018

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"...As a fan I want to see great wrestling or mismatches in which great technique is abundant."

This.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 21, 2018

Quote from Luke Moore's post:

"Persaonlyy, I would end the dual with Bo Jordan, who has made some crazy sacrifices to have a phenomenal career. I feel he is often the most over looked of this class due to the crazy accomplishments of Snyder and NaTo. Let him have his moment to shine!"

Will disagree with you here - only on the let’s end at 174. BoJo’s time to be the final match of the night I assume, will be vs Purdue which is being held at Graham HS.

► Add to the Discussion