Discussion

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

Check the latest updates on Twitter at: @OWNetwork

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Olivia Shore
Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 27, 2018

Quite a story occurring at Miami East HS with Freshman Olivia Shore. She was a Cadet Fargo champ this summer and was on the Cadet World team as well.

This season, she became the first female to ever place at the Media Invitational and today became the first female to not only place - but to finish as the Champion at the Lima Central Catholic Thunderbird Invitational (a 43 team tournament made up entirely of DIII teams - but her bracket did include a returning state placer).

She is obviously now a threat to qualify (and outside chance to place) at the state tournament. Amazing stuff to watch.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on January 28, 2018

Shore is outstanding and only a freshman! I haven't seen that much of her wrestling, but her hand fighting is off the hook.

We're now seeing the first complete generation of female "mat-rats-since-youth" with superb technique. Really up to our 25 year old world team women. It's cool to see this happening, as I had the privilege of coaching some great girls in my career.

Also real tough locally in Columbus is the Martin kid at Grove City.

I've heard repeatedly that USA Wrestling, NWCA and Sally Roberts' organization (Wrestle Like a Girl) have teamed up and are making huge pushes nationwide for female divisions at high school. I believe Ohio will be there in five years.

side note: head over to Flo and watch Wyoming Seminary's girls HS team (led by former world teamer Erin Tomeo Vandiver) eviscerate a national team from Canada.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 29, 2018

I hope we get a girls division soon. I have two 8th grade wrestlers who are girls and would love to see them compete against others of the same gender. One girl has yet to miss a 6AM workout - more than I can say for any other wrestler at any level at Bellefontaine.

► Add to the Discussion