Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Bucks Hammer Purdue
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 28, 2018

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-wrestl/recaps/012818aaa.html

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 28, 2018

Nice job by Cody Burcher getting the quick fall. The Purdue kid is a RS Senior with a 16-13 record. Cody seems to be able to keep himself match-ready when called upon. That's not always possible when you come off the bench now and then.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on January 29, 2018

It will be interesting to see what TR does moving forward at 165.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 29, 2018

Quote from Joe Kinzel's post:

"It will be interesting to see what TR does moving forward at 165."

Yep. Campbell lost too many close ones and then had a really bad match against MSU. The Big Ten comp will do that to you. I feel bad for him but also think it's possible to get him back on track. But the next two 165's he'd face are Joseph and Massa (who's also a mess right now).

Anyone see the Burcher match? Was it a TD to his cradle? Or did he hit something else?

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on January 29, 2018

A month ago this would have seemed like a silly discussion, but Burcher is match-ready, 6-0 and a returning NQ.

If we assume Campbell gets the better of Burcher in the room (maybe, maybe not...an assumption), but that Burcher is more consistent in a match (at least right now), it does create a tough call for Coach Ryan. At the current pace, neither is a likely AA, so who can grab the most points at NCAA? Big Ten shouldn't even be a concern, both should qualify.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on January 29, 2018

Quote from Brian Nicola's post:

"A month ago this would have seemed like a silly discussion, but Burcher is match-ready, 6-0 and a returning NQ.

If we assume Campbell gets the better of Burcher in the room (maybe, maybe not...an assumption), but that Burcher is more consistent in a match (at least right now), it does create a tough call for Coach Ryan. At the current pace, neither is a likely AA, so who can grab the most points at NCAA? Big Ten shouldn't even be a concern, both should qualify."

Will be a tough call for sure. Campbell is a returning NQ that went 2-2 but seems to be struggling right now. Maybe he needs to sit out for a few matches and get refocused. At this point I don't see either doing anything at nationals.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on January 29, 2018

I like Burcher but agree, he is probably not going to score is a lot of points at NCAA.
Campbell has a higher ceiling. Maybe he just needs some time to rest and
regain his focus.
I trust the coaches will make the right decision.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on January 29, 2018

The question in my mind that begs the most attention, is there an underlying injury here that hasn't been made public? Campbell started out the year setting the world on fire and he was climbing the rankings quickly. To suddenly go into this sort of slump seems uncharacteristic.

Tony Jameson added to this discussion on January 29, 2018

not really having much insight into the program today, this is an assumption of my own. I look at the Campbell thing as mental. Look at who he has around him in the lineup. Coming from probably being one of the greats in the division he came from, to a madhouse of talent and maybe getting less attention. Losing or even winning close matches repeatedly could certainly add to fuel this fire and start mentally doubting himself. Hope I'm wrong or shakes the cobwebs off he is fun to watch when he wrestles his A game. (among every other kid in the lineup lol)

Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 1, 2018

I think when you back up and look at this weight from a 10,000 foot view, so to speak, you have to throw out the outliers. Campbells best performance to date was the Valencia match and a solid performance at Vegas. Everyone has beaten on Valenci this year so you can't really count that as a quality win. His next best win is Isaiah White who he split matches with at Vegas. He has been in nearly every match against rigid competition. I think you throw out the MSU loss as well. Poor performance yes, but not indicative of his abilities. What you're left with is someone capable of low end All-American status who is a take down away in most matches. Butcher can't duplicate that. I attribute much of Campbell's struggles to the weight cut. He's our guy come the post season. He'll probably end up top seven in arguably the deepest weight in the big ten. He'll be right there for the round of 12, and on the right weekend may get a takedown or two to make the podium. He didn't transfer here because it was going to be easy.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 2, 2018

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"I think when you back up and look at this weight from a 10,000 foot view, so to speak, you have to throw out the outliers. Campbells best performance to date was the Valencia match and a solid performance at Vegas. Everyone has beaten on Valenci this year so you can't really count that as a quality win. His next best win is Isaiah White who he split matches with at Vegas. He has been in nearly every match against rigid competition. I think you throw out the MSU loss as well. Poor performance yes, but not indicative of his abilities. What you're left with is someone capable of low end All-American status who is a take down away in most matches. Butcher can't duplicate that. I attribute much of Campbell's struggles to the weight cut. He's our guy come the post season. He'll probably end up top seven in arguably the deepest weight in the big ten. He'll be right there for the round of 12, and on the right weekend may get a takedown or two to make the podium. He didn't transfer here because it was going to be easy."

I think your assessment of Campbell's abilities is spot on. The problem is the depth of this weight. He's going to have to beat some really tough people on his feet or become even better with his top game.

► Add to the Discussion