Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Bucks vs. PSU
Ben Watson added to this discussion on February 1, 2018

Quote from Rob Wagner's post:

"(Rec Hall might explode if they pull Manville's redshirt)"

I don't think it would be a good explosion. That likely means Nolf is out for the year.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Watson added to this discussion on February 1, 2018

Here is how I see it. Similar to many others on the board.

125: 5-0 tOSU
133: 8-0 tOSU
141: 8-3 tOSU
149: 8-8
157: 12-8 tOSU
165: 12-12
174: 12-15 PSU (really hope i'm wrong)
184: 15-15 (really hope i'm right)
197: 18-15 tOSU
285: 22-15 tOSU

If Nolf was healthy i'd have it 19-18 PSU

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 1, 2018

Quote from Ron Hreha's post:

"Saturday at 8pm on Big Ten Network (BTN)"

Thanks, Ron.

My DVR committed treason, but I put it in check.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on February 1, 2018

I'll be the dissenting voice. I see OSU losing a tight one.

Keep in mind, this is not in Columbus, nor is it at a neutral Big 10 or NCAA tournament site. Penn State will have the benefit of the best home crowd support in wrestling, including Iowa at Carver. That energy boost makes it increasingly harder for opposing teams to pick up bonus points against PSU's softer competitors, while turning toss-ups into Penn State's favor.

Even with Nolf out, OSU is the underdog.

Here's how I see it shaking out.

125-Tomasello MD. +4
133-Pletcher by decision, but Keener is a veteran who can pull an upset here. +7
141-My heart says McKenna, my head says Lee. +4
149-Zain fall. -2
157-Micah MD. +2
165-Joseph MD. -2
174-Hall. -5
184-Nickal. -8
197-Moore -5
285-Snyder MD -1

Penn State 19, Ohio State 18

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on February 1, 2018

I am with Drew.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on February 1, 2018

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"I'll be the dissenting voice. I see OSU losing a tight one.

Keep in mind, this is not in Columbus, nor is it at a neutral Big 10 or NCAA tournament site. Penn State will have the benefit of the best home crowd support in wrestling, including Iowa at Carver. That energy boost makes it increasingly harder for opposing teams to pick up bonus points against PSU's softer competitors, while turning toss-ups into Penn State's favor.

Even with Nolf out, OSU is the underdog.

Here's how I see it shaking out.

125-Tomasello MD. +4
133-Pletcher by decision, but Keener is a veteran who can pull an upset here. +7
141-My heart says McKenna, my head says Lee. +4
149-Zain fall. -2
157-Micah MD. +2
165-Joseph MD. -2
174-Hall. -5
184-Nickal. -8
197-Moore -5
285-Snyder MD -1

Penn State 19, Ohio State 18"

So basically, Penn State wins every contested match?
I think the Bucks pull at least one win out of 141, 174, 184.
Less than 48 hours and we will know.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 1, 2018

125: Nate by tech 5-0
133: Pletch by dec 8-0
141: McKenna dec Lee 11-0
149: Zain by MD 11-4
157: Micah by TF 16-4
165: Joseph by md 16-8
174: Hall dec Bo 16-11
184: Myles by pin 22-11
197: Moore dec Shakur 25-11
285: The World Champ by TF 30-11

No tickets for the fans....rankers show more respect to PSU... Tom Ryan will grab his charges by the emotional guts and have them in full warrior mode.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on February 2, 2018

Joe:

That's what happened against Iowa, right? Hawkeyes won the toss-ups. And that doesn't even include 125 where members of this board picked Nate to beat world champion Lee by major decision.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'll take Penn State in Rec Hall.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 2, 2018

The only real problem I have with Drew’s picks is that in the scenario he laid out, the best wrestler in the world would walk out onto the mat knowing he needed a tech or a fall and wouldn’t deliver...The guy that pulled his Olympic red-shirt for a shot at a team title, the guy that willed himself to victory over Gwiz, the guy that picked up Medberry, the guy that has been kicking ass all over the world for three years, the guy that has Russian legends bumping up for the challenge of wrestling him. Nevills is struggling. He is not the wrestler was last year. He’s put on some bad weight and his conditioning is suspect at best. I don’t know what the criteria would be if it was a tie, but I just can’t see Nevills being the guy who keeps Kyle Snyder from something he wants. If it’s a five point lead going into heavyweight, Ohio State wins.

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on February 2, 2018

Completely agree Michael,

With some many highly ranked matchups set, I think Cael will try to do everything in his power for the dual to not end at 285, which would favor the Lions.

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"The only real problem I have with Drew’s picks is that in the scenario he laid out, the best wrestler in the world would walk out onto the mat knowing he needed a tech or a fall and wouldn’t deliver...The guy that pulled his Olympic red-shirt for a shot at a team title, the guy that willed himself to victory over Gwiz, the guy that picked up Medberry, the guy that has been kicking ass all over the world for three years, the guy that has Russian legends bumping up for the challenge of wrestling him. Nevills is struggling. He is not the wrestler was last year. He’s put on some bad weight and his conditioning is suspect at best. I don’t know what the criteria would be if it was a tie, but I just can’t see Nevills being the guy who keeps Kyle Snyder from something he wants. If it’s a five point lead going into heavyweight, Ohio State wins."

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 2, 2018

"The only real problem I have with Drew’s picks is that in the scenario he laid out, the best wrestler in the world would walk out onto the mat knowing he needed a tech or a fall and wouldn’t deliver...The guy that pulled his Olympic red-shirt for a shot at a team title, the guy that willed himself to victory over Gwiz, the guy that picked up Medberry, the guy that has been kicking ass all over the world for three years, the guy that has Russian legends bumping up for the challenge of wrestling him. Nevills is struggling. He is not the wrestler was last year. He’s put on some bad weight and his conditioning is suspect at best. I don’t know what the criteria would be if it was a tie, but I just can’t see Nevills being the guy who keeps Kyle Snyder from something he wants. If it’s a five point lead going into heavyweight, Ohio State wins."

I do love me some M-Rod processing...you should be the "Story Board" guy for ESPN 30:30 documentaries.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 2, 2018

Might print this out and frame it.

Ron Hreha added to this discussion on February 2, 2018

Quote from Rob Wagner's post:

"Completely agree Michael,

With some many highly ranked matchups set, I think Cael will try to do everything in his power for the dual to not end at 285, which would favor the Lions.

"

Nevills may be down at the moment, but he is still a top 6 285 wrestler. Nevills (265ish lbs) outweighs Synder by around 40 pounds. As great as Snyder is, it seems to me it will be very difficult to turn a top six wrestler while being so undersized. Over his NCAA career, Snyder is only pinning in somewhere around 10% of his matches. I easily see Snyder getting the tech fall though. If its a 5 point lead going into the 285 match, I think the only way we win is on criteria. I hope I am wrong and Snyder does get the pin though.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 2, 2018

Ron...I get what you’re saying. Pinning a top level guy that outweighs you by 40 or 50 pounds is a tall order. I agree. I still have a hard time thinking there’s something Kyle Snyder can’t do...particularly to Nick Nevills. How about this? If tOSU needs six for the win, do you think a determined Kyle Snyder with a well thought game plan could win by DQ? He lives (and dominates) in a world with a push out rule.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on February 2, 2018

Michael,

Do you really believe an official would come into Rec Hall with the nerve to DQ Nevills for stalling with the dual on the line?

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next