Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Penn State ticket fiasco
Brian Nicola added to this discussion on January 29, 2018

I am so fired up about the fact the Penn State released zero tickets for OSU fans to purchase. It is such a tool move.

Tony Mead on Yappi heard the number for OSU wrestler families was 50 total!

This is not common behavior and shows that Cael isn't quite the choir boy everyone thinks he is. Everyone calls the Brands brothers dickheads, but at least they are what they say they are. This one really chaps me for some reason.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 29, 2018

We’re you wanting a ticket?

BTW: is this Cael’s decision? I have no idea how that works.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 29, 2018

Brian...Has Coach Sanderson ever claimed not to be a dickhead?

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on January 30, 2018

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"We’re you wanting a ticket?

BTW: is this Cael’s decision? I have no idea how that works."

I assume he has role in the decision, right? I was interested in going, yes.

also *were ;)

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on January 30, 2018

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Brian...Has Coach Sanderson ever claimed not to be a dickhead?"

Stop making sense.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on January 30, 2018

One thing I remember fondly when I lived in Iowa was getting to attend the Iowa/PSU dual at CHA in 2009. A friend had given me front row seats right by the tunnel where the Hawkeyes came out.
Anyways, about halfway into the dual, the student section started chanting, "Cael's for sale!" over and over. This chant quickly caught on and eventually the majority of the arena was chanting it.

Dan Strope added to this discussion on January 30, 2018

Do you realize that Rec Hall is sold out for every dual by SEASON ticket holders and that there is only standing room only tickets available to the general public? There is also a waiting list for future season tickets. Not sure there is a school in the country that wouldn't sell out every home event in the preseason if it could. Hardly a dick move, sounds more like good business. Rec Hall only seats roughly 6500 anyway.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 30, 2018

Then the poor business move seems to be that they didn’t make sure to put this in Bryce Jordan. 1 v. 2 seems to warrant it.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 30, 2018

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"Then the poor business move seems to be that they didn’t make sure to put this in Bryce Jordan. 1 v. 2 seems to warrant it."

PSU AD screwed up here - as the Bryce Jordan has men's and women's BB games in there the same weekend. Oops....

Jack Muni added to this discussion on January 30, 2018

The women play on Sunday. They couldn't have scheduled the wrestling for a noon start? It would be over by 2pm. The BB starts at 6pm.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on January 30, 2018

And the dual didn't have to be scheduled that weekend! Why is that the reason people keep giving for the dual to not be held in the Bryce Jordan. It was clearly planned this way, it isn't an oversight. Which I have no problem with, btw. If Penn St thinks they have a competitive advantage in Rec Hall, then they have every right to hold it there. Now if I were the AD, there would be no question the dual would be held at Bryce. Twice as much revenue at the price of a razor thin competitive advantage, if any.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 30, 2018

Quote from Brian Nicola's post:

"I assume he has role in the decision, right? I was interested in going, yes.

also *were ;)"

Autocorrect. It’ll be the ducking death of me, I swear.

Gregory Martin added to this discussion on January 30, 2018

simply put it was done on purpose and I know this to be fact, I know many PSU fans and they don't like that it was done no more then Buckeye fans. It's a 🤡 Move period

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on January 30, 2018

From a non-fan of either team who won’t be attending the dual (and wouldn’t if tickets were available)...I don’t see what the fuss is about. Rec Hall is where they wrestle. It’s a great venue for wrestling. It’s where they’re comfortable. It’s their “home field”. They get the do what they want, and this is how they do business. Ohio State is not the first team to get this treatment.

A couple of other things...I don’t see it as just a small advantage. We won’t know until the dual is over how it affected the Buckeyes. Carver Hawkeye certainly isn’t a “razor thin competitive advantage”. Coach Sanderson wants a Carver Hawkeye style atmosphere, and more importantly, he wants Carver Hawkeye results. Over the last 40 years many a superior wrestler has lost in that environment. If Penn State is going to win this dual, they need all the swing matches to go their way and they need to bonus and not give up bonus in the lopsided bouts. Long story short, he’s done the right thing for his team. He owes tOSU nothing.

As far as the betterment of the sport of wrestling, serving the greater good...I don’t see the venue as affecting that at all. The dual is televised. That’s where the real audience is. The atmosphere will look great on tv. This powerhouse Ohio State team gets to play the role of underdog going into a hostile environment. It doesn’t matter that the Nolf injury make Ohio State the clear favorites. If I was an Ohio State fan, I would love the way this is setting up. You get to go in Rec Hall put it on the defending champs. I couldn’t think of a better scenario for Buckeye fans.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on January 30, 2018

The home field advantage is real! Don't get me wrong. I was at Bryce 2 years ago when Penn St wrestled the Buckeyes and I fully accept that there is a home field advantage. My razor thin comparison is between Rec Hall and Bryce. Not Rec Hall and a neutral site. I could argue that Bryce gives a better advantage than Rec but that would be dumb because I'm not wrestling and I can't prove any competitive advantage between the two effectively.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next