Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Thoughts on dual
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 5, 2018

The loss hurts a little more than it should because of Nolf being out. If you're a PSU fan, you had a built in excuse of a 7-10 point swing. They still won.

The effort was there, no doubt. And this was two of the top dual teams maybe ever. But the match was there to be won. I think Flo had OSU as 9.5 point favorites.

Give PSU credit, they hit all the right buttons. Limited extra bonus where they could and pushed until literally the last second to secure extra points of their own. A great performance.

Rec Hall helped, too, of course.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 5, 2018

I'm interested to see how Iowa handles the same situation on Sat. Lee will tech or pin, thinking Iowa wins 133 but loses 141. Sorenson is probably the one guy Retherford can't tech or maybe major, 158 will go to Iowa with bonus points. Can Marinelli keep it to a decision? PSU wins 174 & 184, but Wilke can win at 197 and so can Stohl at 285. Will bonus points be the factor again?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 5, 2018

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"I'm interested to see how Iowa handles the same situation on Sat. Lee will tech or pin, thinking Iowa wins 133 but loses 141. Sorenson is probably the one guy Retherford can't tech or maybe major, 158 will go to Iowa with bonus points. Can Marinelli keep it to a decision? PSU wins 174 & 184, but Wilke can win at 197 and so can Stohl at 285. Will bonus points be the factor again?"

I think PSU Lee wins by MD and Zain is 4-0 agains Sorenson with 1 pin 1 MD and 2 decisions. I think Zain at least MD him.

125-Lee Tech 5-0
133-PSU dec. 5-3
141-PSU MD 5-7
149- PSU MD 5-11
157- Iowa Pin 11-11
165- PSU dec. 11-14
174-PSU MD 11-17
184-PSU MD 11-21 -This could be a pin
197-PSU dec. 11-24- If Shakur wrestle it could be a pin. Shakur beat Cessar 7-4 last week in wrestle off.
285. Iowa dec. 14-24

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 5, 2018

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"The loss hurts a little more than it should because of Nolf being out."

imo it should hurt--- yes it should-- because Ohio st is on the verge of geting their program to that ELITE level. The level Penn St is at where u win despite obstacles, where there are NO excuses, you win because you despise losing and refuse to do so. It's not in your DNA.

Penn St is at that level-- previously Okla St in John Smith's early coaching years was there. Iowa of course was there under Gable and in Tom Brands early years. Minnesota earlier in this millenium under JRob was there.

Ohio States goal- Tom Ryan's goal i know- is to be on that level. (As an alum i say "we") We aren't there yet, but we are knocking on the door. Next thing is to kick that damn door down. To do so Ohio st must win these duals-- imo.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 5, 2018

Be curious to see how Bucks bounce back against Michigan and will everyone wrestle? Would they sit some guys who already have wins over MI guys?

Could Pletcher, Bo, Myles, Snyder all sit? Do they give Nato the day off as well?

sit, rest?? James surely you jest. ... ohio st should want to kick Michigans butt. Ryan has changed that series dramatically, before Ryan ohio st had not beaten Michigan in many years in a dual, but thats changed. Elite teams want to compete, not "rest". ...lol, rest is for old men like me!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 5, 2018

Bob--Ohio State is elite. 1,3,2 the last three seasons....clearly one of the top two teams this year. They've climbed that mountain.

The issue is that they're competing against the best coach since Gable. Cael is as good as Dan the man.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Bob--Ohio State is elite. 1,3,2 the last three seasons....clearly one of the top two teams this year. They've climbed that mountain. The issue is that they're competing against the best coach since Gable. Cael is as good as Dan the man."

yes Hank ohio st is elite, i didnt mean to imply otherwise but they aren't in the Penn St elite category --yet. But thats Ryan's goal.

It took JRob alot of years to get there -and John Smith and Tom Brands like JRob couldnt stay there. But im betting on Ryan to to stay up there, geting 2 No 1's out of PA next season is a HUGE coup. So we will see. ...your comment re Cael is well founded, i understand that.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 5, 2018

You're right--I just posted about next year's recruiting class. Three current #1's in Hoffman,Mattox and Kinner plus Sasso. Damn good group.

Recruiting is key. You can develop excellent wrestlers but most superstars today arrive elite.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 6, 2018

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"sit, rest?? James surely you jest. ... ohio st should want to kick Michigans butt. Ryan has changed that series dramatically, before Ryan ohio st had not beaten Michigan in many years in a dual, but thats changed. Elite teams want to compete, not "rest". ...lol, rest is for old men like me!"

If everyone does wrestle there will be some good match ups

#4 Nato vs. #9 Mattin
#2 Pletcher vs. #5 Micic
#6 Hayes vs. #18 Amine
#5 Micah vs. #6 Pantaleo
#14 Campbell vs. #9 Massa
#3 Bo vs. #6 Amine
# Myles vs. #5 Abounader
#1 Moore vs. #12 Beazley
#1 Snyder vs. #2 Coon

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on February 6, 2018

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"

"sit, rest?? James surely you jest. ... ohio st should want to kick Michigans butt. Ryan has changed that series dramatically, before Ryan ohio st had not beaten Michigan in many years in a dual, but thats changed. Elite teams want to compete, not "rest". ...lol, rest is for old men like me!"

#4 Nato vs. #9 Mattin
#2 Pletcher vs. #5 Micic
#6 Hayes vs. #18 Amine
#5 Micah vs. #6 Pantaleo
#3 Bo vs. #6 Amine
# Myles vs. #5 Abounader
#1 Moore vs. #12 Beazley
#1 Snyder vs. #2 Coon"

Funny thing here, on paper it looks like OSU could potentially shut out UM. Every single weight class OSU kid is higher ranked. But it certainly won't go according to plan and this one has my radar up a bit. Especially coming off the back of the PSU let down. If I were on College Wrestling Gameday I'd have this one as my upset alert.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 6, 2018

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"But it certainly won't go according to plan and this one has my radar up a bit. Especially coming off the back of the PSU let down. If I were on College Wrestling Gameday I'd have this one as my upset alert."

we'll compare notes afterwards Chris, i expect buckeyes to want some wolverine meat.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 6, 2018

tOSU will beat Michigan. NC State is the "trap" match.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on February 6, 2018

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"

#4 Nato vs. #9 Mattin
#2 Pletcher vs. #5 Micic
#6 Hayes vs. #18 Amine
#5 Micah vs. #6 Pantaleo
#3 Bo vs. #6 Amine
# Myles vs. #5 Abounader
#1 Moore vs. #12 Beazley
#1 Snyder vs. #2 Coon"

Funny thing here, on paper it looks like OSU could potentially shut out UM. Every single weight class OSU kid is higher ranked. But it certainly won't go according to plan and this one has my radar up a bit. Especially coming off the back of the PSU let down. If I were on College Wrestling Gameday I'd have this one as my upset alert."

This could be a tough match away.
Micic is wrestling very well and obviously has the revenge factor.
Pantaleo beat Micah earlier.
Massa vs Campbell,,,,
Coon is a big challenge

So here's hoping for the best andI hope everyone wrestles!

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 6, 2018

I believe this match is on ESPN2

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next