Discussion

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

Check the latest updates on Twitter at: @OWNetwork

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: The Recruits Are Coming
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 5, 2018

If you're like me, and wondering how the hell anyone can hope to compete with PSU in years to come, here's your answer:

Gavin Hoffman Montoursville PA 197
Jaden Mattox Grove City Central Crossing OH Jashon Hubbard Steubenville OH 157
Rocky Jordan St. Paris Graham OH 165/174
Alex Felix Gilroy CA 141
Quinn Kinner Kingsway Regional NJ 141
Sammy Sasso Nazareth PA 157
Kyle Gruber Massillon Perry OH 125
Braeden Redlin Allen TX 165/174
Josh Ramirez Dubuque Wahlert IA 174
Malik Heinselman Castle View CO 125

Three of these guys currently are ranked #1 by InterMat--Hoffman, Mattox and Kinner. And Sasso is arguably the best of the bunch regardless of rankings. Add in the talented but undersized Heinselman plus a solid Rocky Jordan and it's a pretty damn good group. I'm intrigued by Felix as Cali wrestlers are often pretty amazing but less highly regarded due to the difficulty in winning single class state in the most populous state in the nation.

One thing's for certain--Bucks are going to have a log jam in the 165-174 range. Mattox, Rocky, Romero are going to be three guys battling for two spots unless Sasso is eventually going down to 149 and Mattox can make 157. Good problem.

None of this takes into account an improving Schierl or a decent Elijah Clearly plus guys like Ferro, Redlin or Ramirez. I have to believe someone will grow into 184 to challenge Ethan Smith.

Bucks Lineup in two years:
125: Heinselman/Mead/Decatur
133: Pletcher (senior)/Decatur
141: Kinner
149: Hayes/Sasso
157: Sasso/Mattox
165: Mattox/Jordan
174: Romero/Jordan
184: Smith/Ramirez/Redlin
197: Hoffman
285: Singletary

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on February 5, 2018

I hope to goodness Braxton Amos is on the their wish list in 2020.

Dan Strope added to this discussion on February 5, 2018

Since you are talking about catching Penn State any idea what they have coming in the pipeline and projected weights?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 5, 2018

Quote from Dan Strope's post:

"Since you are talking about catching Penn State any idea what they have coming in the pipeline and projected weights?"

Gavin Teasdale Jefferson Morgan PA 125/133
Brody Teske Fort Dodge IA 125/133
Seth Nevills Clovis CA 285
Roman Bravo-Young Sunnyside AZ 133
Michael Beard Malvern Prep PA 197
Joe Lee Evansville Mater Dei IN 157

Teasdale and Teske are ranked 3 and 7 respectively at 126. Bravo-Young is #2 at 132. Nevills is #3 at 285 (and a reason why Braxton Amos is still more likely to become a Buckeye in my opinion). Beard is #2 at 195. Pretty sure Lee is now a post-grad. My guess is he's training at the NLWC. Pretty solid group.

Michigan and Minny have very good classes as well.

Forgot that Aaron Brooks has committed to PSU. Ouch. He's #1 at 182.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on February 5, 2018

The rich continue to get richer at PSU.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 6, 2018

Quote from Nicholas Sestito's post:

"The rich continue to get richer at PSU."

Best you can do is keep pace.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on February 6, 2018

Hank,
As I'm reading the doom and gloom across the internet re: the OSU/PSU dual I was thinking this same thing. OSU has an incredible pipeline coming and people are naïve to believe the Buckeyes are just going to lay down and succumb to the notion they can't beat PSU. We're amidst a serious arms race here and this story is not completely written. Thanks for pointing out exactly what I have been thinking too.

Ron Hreha added to this discussion on February 6, 2018

Is anybody following Iowa recruiting? They currently have 3 potential finalists in Spencer Lee, Kemerer, and Marinelli (a bit of a stretch here). Cash Wilcke can also reach AA status. These guys are all sophomores or freshman. I know Jacob Warner (frosh) is a stud and also maybe projects to be a finalist in the very near future. Warner and Wilcke are at the same weight so one is going to have to make a weight cut. I'm not sure about the rest of their roster. Seems like they are a couple of high end recruits away from scoring enough points at NCAAs to compete with OSU and PSU

James Kessen added to this discussion on February 6, 2018

Quote from Ron Hreha's post:

"Is anybody following Iowa recruiting? They currently have 3 potential finalists in Spencer Lee, Kemerer, and Marinelli (a bit of a stretch here). Cash Wilcke can also reach AA status. These guys are all sophomores or freshman. I know Jacob Warner (frosh) is a stud and also maybe projects to be a finalist in the very near future. Warner and Wilcke are at the same weight so one is going to have to make a weight cut. I'm not sure about the rest of their roster. Seems like they are a couple of high end recruits away from scoring enough points at NCAAs to compete with OSU and PSU"

They also have Lugo who transferred in this year and should replace Sorenson next year. As of now their incoming recruits are 160 #12 Brands and 285 #4 Cassioppi.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 7, 2018

I think tOSU has done a much better job of recruiting in terms of depth and consistency throughout the lineup than even PSU. The Nittany Lions have a ton of heavy hitters, but they have recruited a lot of kids that are in the same weight class. One term I would use to describe the Bucks classes would be balance. You lose three four time all Americans from any team and you would assume a drop off. I don’t think the fall off next year will be that substantial. The Bucks will still be a threat to finish in the top three.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on February 7, 2018

"Is anybody following Iowa recruiting? They currently have 3 potential finalists in Spencer Lee, Kemerer, and Marinelli (a bit of a stretch here). Cash Wilcke can also reach AA status. These guys are all sophomores or freshman. I know Jacob Warner (frosh) is a stud and also maybe projects to be a finalist in the very near future. Warner and Wilcke are at the same weight so one is going to have to make a weight cut. I'm not sure about the rest of their roster. Seems like they are a couple of high end recruits away from scoring enough points at NCAAs to compete with OSU and PSU"

I wonder who his dad is....? ;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t_msxjPh7js

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 7, 2018

Sorenson and Kemmerer are their best chances for finalists. Marinelli has a knack for winning but Imar and Joseph own this weight class. Lee is more likely a high AA although finalist isn't out of the question.

Wilcke and their big man are good AA candidates as well. This would probably have them battling for third with Michigan.

Iowa will be good in years to come but they're neither as well coached or talented as PSU. They are in the same bind as the Buckeyes who tend to out-recruit them.

Iowa and Ohio State should be a fantastic rivalry for the next several years.

Ron Hreha added to this discussion on February 8, 2018

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Sorenson and Kemmerer are their best chances for finalists. Marinelli has a knack for winning but Imar and Joseph own this weight class. Lee is more likely a high AA although finalist isn't out of the question.

Wilcke and their big man are good AA candidates as well. This would probably have them battling for third with Michigan.

Iowa will be good in years to come but they're neither as well coached or talented as PSU. They are in the same bind as the Buckeyes who tend to out-recruit them.

Iowa and Ohio State should be a fantastic rivalry for the next several years."

Thanks Hank. I knew about Sorensen as he is impossible to miss... sorry if I wasn't clear, I was really referring to the next couple years after the 2018 championships, after this senior class graduates. I see an opportunity for Iowa to build a bunch of momentum if they can get a couple more real studs this year and next via recruiting or transfer. Frankly, I hope it doesn't happen.

► Add to the Discussion