Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: tOSU vs. Michigan
Ben Watson added to this discussion on February 9, 2018

No thread yet for the dual on Sunday. I believe it is 6:00pm and can be watched on ESPN 2. Michigan is 9-2 this year with an early season blow out loss to Lehigh and a 25-12 loss to PSU. Two weeks ago they beat Iowa 19-17.

Ohio State matches up well against Michigan with a number of higher ranked wrestlers at weights where Michigan is strong. Michigan has two Ohio natives in their starting lineup with Drew Mattin at 125 and Domenic Abounader at 184.

I plan on going barring weather. I guess they are expecting anywhere from 6-12 inches of snow today. Hope it stops soon.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Britt Malinsky added to this discussion on February 9, 2018

Quote from Ben Watson's post:

"No thread yet for the dual on Sunday. I believe it is 6:00pm and can be watched on ESPN 2. Michigan is 9-2 this year with an early season blow out loss to Lehigh and a 25-12 loss to PSU. Two weeks ago they beat Iowa 19-17.

Ohio State matches up well against Michigan with a number of higher ranked wrestlers at weights where Michigan is strong. Michigan has two Ohio natives in their starting lineup with Drew Mattin at 125 and Domenic Abounader at 184.

I plan on going barring weather. I guess they are expecting anywhere from 6-12 inches of snow today. Hope it stops soon."

I'll be there Sunday, provided the weather is clear! Fortunately, I have a nonstop from home, so I won't have to worry about connecting! Staying at the Airport Westin, so I won't have to drive anywhere Saturday either.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 9, 2018

Should be an EXCELLENT dual meet. Looking forward to watching.

Safe travels to all attending. And yes, that even includes the Michigan fans. :-D

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 9, 2018

Go bucks. Good week for wrestling. PSU/Iowa Saturday, OSU/Mich Sunday.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 10, 2018

This is a huge meet, but I feel like it’s not getting much fanfare locally or nationally after last weekend. U of M is certainly treating it as a big deal as they have moved the event to a larger venue. The Chrysler arena if I’m not mistaken. Should be some great match ups.

125- Tomasello v Mattin
Mattin has been a nice surprise this year coming out of redshirt to supplant another Ohio native (Assad) for the starting position. He has some really solid wins but is not in the upper eschelon of the weight class. NATO by at least a major.

133- Pletch v Micic
Match of the night in my book. Luke beat Micic in the CKLV semis in a tight one, which then was followed up by Micic taking an absolute drubbing by the frosh Desanto. Micic has rounded back into his 2017 form and looks formidable. National guys have Luke taking a loss here, but I’m not so sure. It’s definately a pick em match. I’m going with cool hand Luke.

141- McKenna v Profaci
Profaci is on the same level as a Turk (Iowa). He’s teetered on the brink of being ranked but no where near Joey MC’s level. McKenna by major

149- Hayes v Amine
Keshawn should win this match but Amine isn’t a scrub. I think it’s close but I’ll give Keshawn the upper hand based on his top game. I will say that anytime you can take down Retherford twice your neutral position certainly must be improving, but my goodness did he get mauled on bottom.

157- M Jordan v Panteleo
Micah may be ranked higher but the CKLV finals were not close. I think it’s a stylistic match up problem for Micah. Volume shooters don’t fend well against someone with stout defense and counter ability like Panteleo. He’s my dark horse shot at 157 for the title should Nolf be done. U of M by decision.

165- Campbell v Massa
Massa is a shell of his former self right now. But he’s still an elite guy and Tesean hasn’t won a match in a long time. I have to think his confidence is really shaken. He had to have known that by transfering here he was going to be facing heavy hitters every week. This is a match up that a confident Tesean may be able to squeak out. He certainly needs it, but Massa still has enough of the goods to win in front of a large home crowd. U of M by decision

174- Bo v Amine
I’m not sure how many times these two have met, but Bo is undefeated against him as far as I know. Nothing should change here. Bo by decision.

184- Myles v Abounader
This could be a trap match. Mymar looked dominant against Abounader in the CKLV finals. Myles is a better wrestler but Abounader is a competitor and I have to believe that he will wrestle a much tougher match this go around. Myles wins in a tight bout.

197- Moore v Beasley
A battle of All Americans. Was last week an abborition? Kollin has always been a bull in a China shop taking shot after shot even without set ups (Logan esq). PSU scouted him beautifully. Kollin takes a shot, shift the head, counter to the near ankle. He gave up two takedowns and almost a third off of counters. I still believe that Kollin is the man at 197, but it was certainly concerning to watch. Beasley can offfer a lot in the way of resistance, but I think Kollin gets back on the horse this week. Bucks by dec

285- Snyder v Coon
Coon is a mountain of a man, but Kyle has moved other mountains before...including this one. Snyder by four takedowns. Not quite a major type match but he gets back to his bread and butter and wears Coon out by the end of the second.

Bucks should win this dual going away but nearly all of the matches can be tight. An upset or two would not be out of the question, but it’s a bad match up for U of M. Bucks by double digits.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 10, 2018

Crisler Center.

And ESPN2!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 10, 2018

Bucks match up well with UM on paper but for the second week in a row 165-285 is five consecutive battles.

If there's such a thing as a trap match for Snyder, this is it.

I like Nate, McKenna and Ke-Shawn to win comfortably although UM knows how to slow things down when they're overmatched. Pletcher v Micic round 2 is intriguing. Pletcher's head/hands is amazing. I do think Micic is the more dynamic competitor and likely to win a close bout but I wouldn't put money on it.

Pantaleo is not as consistent a performer as Micah but when he's on, he's very tough. Micah is a volume shooter while Pantaleo likes to counter attack. I didn't like this matchup in Vegas and my opinion hasn't changed...but I love the way Micah wrestles. If he can stay patient and time his attacks better, Micah can win.

Keys for this bout will be Bo, Myles, Moore and Snyder doing their thing. Ann Arbor crowd is much smaller but is on top of the action. Should be noisy and raucous environment for second week in a row.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 10, 2018

I found it interesting that OSU brought in Olympic & world Heavyweight champ from Turkey (6'4" 265 lbs.) to workout with Kyle in the month of Feb. I guess we will see on Sunday if that has helped Kyle with the bigger 285 guys.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 10, 2018

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"I found it interesting that OSU brought in Olympic & world Heavyweight champ from Turkey (6'4" 265 lbs.) to workout with Kyle in the month of Feb. I guess we will see on Sunday if that has helped Kyle with the bigger 285 guys."

Tom and Tervel are no dummies.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 11, 2018

I’m at dinner until maybe 6:45 if anyone wants to post updates?

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on February 11, 2018

Tomasello 20-5!

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 11, 2018

Interesting.

Micic working Pletcher over. 11-4 with about 4 minutes RT. OOOOOF.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on February 11, 2018

Everyone who gets on top of a Buckeye wrestler looks like a world class rider. Looks like there is no sense of urgency to get out.

McKenna 6-2 with RT. Pretty meh match.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next