Discussion

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

Check the latest updates on Twitter at: @OWNetwork

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Annual Jump off the Bucks Bandwagon Thread
James Kessen added to this discussion on February 12, 2018

Since we do this every year I figured it deserves its own thread.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 12, 2018

The only criticism I'll make is not finishing off matches. Hall and Nickal rode Bo and Myles into the ground to prevent any possible comebacks. Bo and Myles had the opportunity to do the same to Michigan and both blew it. Putting a quality opponent back on his feet late in a match is problematic. Riding like your life depends on it to close out the bout is preferable.

Incidentally this is just as likely a coaching issue as a wrestling issue. Rex always talks about having a plan for positions/situations. Bucks must improve their plan.

There's also a very simple high C finish when you have an opponent's leg in air that Kyle needs to be shown. Mike Deanna taught it at a coaching clinic 30 years ago and I never forgot it. Just hook the leg in the air with your outside leg and drop straight down. Requires no effort and there's nothing he can do. Opponent falls on his butt and you have two.

David Brown added to this discussion on February 12, 2018

Interestingly, I have been impressed with our transfers top game. McKenna and Campbell both ride very well. Campbell may be MIA in neutral right now but he can ride. Rode out Marinelli and was doing the same to Massa until the last 10 seconds when something strange happened. McKenna beat Lee on strength of ride. Too bad this isn't contagious in the room.

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on February 12, 2018

Is shifting from "This OSU team is great and I think OSU has a great shot to beat PSU (with healthy Nolf) at NCAA's" to "This OSU team is great but I think it is a long shot that OSU beats PSU (with healthy Nolf) at NCAA's" considered jumping off the bandwagon?

I need to know whether I'm on or off! ;-)

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 12, 2018

I think uncertainty has crept in a little for many reasons but I’m not sure the “chance” of winning is any different.

NATO has the leg issue, which wasn’t a problem preseason. He lost to a freshman who did nothing offensively (though had a great ride). He has as good of a chance to win as anyone. Plus, he’s relentless. And it’s his last shot.

If you told me Pletcher would be 22-1 at this point given his comp I would think the team’s chances were better than preseason.

McKenna is McKenna. He wrestled great against a hot Lee. Usually won’t get blown out so he’s always in it — to win or lose. Same as preseason.

Keyshawn has turned a corner the last two matches. He fought tough against Retherford and clearly had a plan. He just got Retherforded. Everyone but Sorenson has that problem. Amine is tough — and against Retherford dirty, in my opinion — but Hayes owned him. I was worried about that match going in. He clearly is not small for the weight. His draw will be crucial. Better chance to place than preseason.

Micah won’t get tossed again like that and other that that (big) issue got his attack going. It seems like he needs to get pissed off against highly talented opponents before he opens up.

Campbell? No idea. I can’t remember if he had the leg wrap against Valencia but he pummeled him. Since then? Certainly can’t predict an AA right now.

Bo is Bo. Tough hombre. He will be there at the end. I miss the hip displacing ride, though. In many ways I like his position. He’s strong, talented, dinged up and knows he has one last shot. Same as preseason.

Myles Martin is one of my favorite wrestlers who seems like he could tech anyone, anytime. Or gut out a tough win. He is fine.

KM is an enigma. Did his performance last year raise expectations too high? He certainly is the front runner but it seems like his perpetual tank isn’t there. The idea of the Big Ten grand can’t excuse PSU because they have only been going once per week. I still think he wins it.

Kyle is the best wrestler in the world but 55 pounds is 55 pounds. I’m not concerned he lost but the way he was just tossed at one point. It looked like he worked incredibly hard to just lose by a little. This has me most concerned about a title because he was the one “guarantee.”

As a fan, this is much better than the last several pre-Ryan years. At this point we can reasonably expect to outplace PSU at 125, 133, 141, 157, 197, and 285. That’s a pretty good start. Other teams can help (or hurt) at 165 (Marinelli, IMar, Massa), 174 (Valencia) and 184 (Abounader, Parker).

Just one man’s opinion.

Sean Koran added to this discussion on February 13, 2018

Not off the bandwagon whatsoever. Admittedly, there were many disappointing moments during the Iowa, PSU, and scUM duals. Conversely, I would assume their fans felt the same as well. When two really good wrestlers meet, someone has to lose. I know another poster made this point, but OSU has not been a historically strong dual meet team relative to their tournament success. Which gives me a lot of positive hope going forward that guys like Nate, McKenna, Campbell, Bo, and Moore (maybe, not sure if weight is an issue for him) will be even stronger come B1G and NCAA.

With regard to the scUM dual specifically, it is not as if the five losses were to poor opponents. All of them have been All Americans, with four having top 4 finishes to their credit.

Other than an uncharacteristic few hours at Vegas, Micic has been a monster this year. Bonus points against every guy he's faced since Vegas up until Pletch. Upset based on rank but not in reality.

Micah can clearly beat Pantaleo if doesn't get taken down to his back. Looked like the much better wrestler for the rest of the match.

Massa was a beast last year and is working his way back from injury and looking better every match. Would not have expected Campbell to win.

Over his last two matches Bo has been leading last year's NCAA Champ and 4th place finishers with less than a minute to go in the match. The final 30 seconds against Amine were shocking (why give up the escape when he was riding well? how do you immediately get taken down?) but I feel good about his chances going forward and was glad to see him ride SO much better than against Hall.

As for Snyder, Coon is excellent and huge. Glad Kyle got to see him now to scout out a strategy for when it really counts.

And let's not overlook the successes of the match: 1st, they won, against a REALLY good scUM team on the road. Nate blew away the #9 guy in the country. Hayes calmly defeated a ranked guy. Martin, while a littel dicey, beat a former B1G champ and top 5 guy in the country. And Moore destroyed a former AA and looked like the Kollin Moore we all fell in love with last year.

Let's put into perspective where this program has gotten to and how expectations have changed - three years ago OSU lost to Lehigh on their way to a National Title, which caused the Board to implode. Now we're concerned by beating Iowa, beating scUM on the road, and losing to PSU on the road by a point. I think OSU/PSU will be a battle at NCAAs. I feel good about OSU having 8 AAs and I do not see PSU having 5 champs again. Very excited for what will surely be a wild ride.

James Kessen added to this discussion on February 13, 2018

Quote from Sean Koran's post:

"Not off the bandwagon whatsoever. Admittedly, there were many disappointing moments during the Iowa, PSU, and scUM duals. Conversely, I would assume their fans felt the same as well. When two really good wrestlers meet, someone has to lose. I know another poster made this point, but OSU has not been a historically strong dual meet team relative to their tournament success. Which gives me a lot of positive hope going forward that guys like Nate, McKenna, Campbell, Bo, and Moore (maybe, not sure if weight is an issue for him) will be even stronger come B1G and NCAA.

With regard to the scUM dual specifically, it is not as if the five losses were to poor opponents. All of them have been All Americans, with four having top 4 finishes to their credit.

Other than an uncharacteristic few hours at Vegas, Micic has been a monster this year. Bonus points against every guy he's faced since Vegas up until Pletch. Upset based on rank but not in reality.

Micah can clearly beat Pantaleo if doesn't get taken down to his back. Looked like the much better wrestler for the rest of the match.

Massa was a beast last year and is working his way back from injury and looking better every match. Would not have expected Campbell to win.

Over his last two matches Bo has been leading last year's NCAA Champ and 4th place finishers with less than a minute to go in the match. The final 30 seconds against Amine were shocking (why give up the escape when he was riding well? how do you immediately get taken down?) but I feel good about his chances going forward and was glad to see him ride SO much better than against Hall.

As for Snyder, Coon is excellent and huge. Glad Kyle got to see him now to scout out a strategy for when it really counts.

And let's not overlook the successes of the match: 1st, they won, against a REALLY good scUM team on the road. Nate blew away the #9 guy in the country. Hayes calmly defeated a ranked guy. Martin, while a littel dicey, beat a former B1G champ and top 5 guy in the country. And Moore destroyed a former AA and looked like the Kollin Moore we all fell in love with last year.

Let's put into perspective where this program has gotten to and how expectations have changed - three years ago OSU lost to Lehigh on their way to a National Title, which caused the Board to implode. Now we're concerned by beating Iowa, beating scUM on the road, and losing to PSU on the road by a point. I think OSU/PSU will be a battle at NCAAs. I feel good about OSU having 8 AAs and I do not see PSU having 5 champs again. Very excited for what will surely be a wild ride."

Great post

► Add to the Discussion