Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Comparing Kent State and Ohio State Recruiting
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 3, 2008

Current Kent Recruits:
Keith Witt--D2 171 state champ
Mallie Schuster--highly regarded PA prospect
Chase Skonieczny--highly regarded Ohio middleweight prospect--state champ
Troy Opfer
Steve Mitcheff

Ohio State Recruits:
Cody Magrum--D2 3x state champ 189 lbs
Tony Jameson--D1 4x state champ
Keaton Thompson
Casey Finnicum
John Hiles

Any thoughts?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 3, 2008

Throw OU's in the mix, for discussion sake.

Chris Kline - State Champ
Dylan Wrage - IA State Champ (16-3 in the finals)
Steve Wilson
Kyle Ciccarello

As of now, I would rank them:

1. OSU
2. KSU
3. OU

For OSU:

Thompson may be underrated because he is not from one of the premiere wrestling states, but he wrestles for Vestavia Hills, which is one of the best programs in AL. In fact, I think they used to come to OH in the 90's for the Midwest Classic.

Hiles and Jameson are both very good. I am not sure they are tier one on the national level as far as recruits, but not far off. Hiles was probably made to be a Buckeye, but that room will be very, very crowded at 285. Jameson is outstanding, but he will have to fix some things to be successful at the next level. There are many more 2-1 matches in the Big Ten than 14-10 matches. I'm confident he can, and will.

Magrum also very good, and seems to be a big match wrestler. He needs to RS, though. If rumors are correct, and they want him to step right in at 174, he may have a long season.

KSU

Skonieczny has been outstanding all year, and his stock is rising in my opinion. His style seems to translate well to the next level, as he is a beast on top.

Mitcheff is a great sleeper recruit. Outshined by White, Taylor, and Clark in Ohio, he can follow in his brother's footsteps at 133 in KSU after a RS season and hitting the weights.

Opfer will add depth, but he needs to become more offensive on his feet to excel at the next level.

Witt had a great state tournament, I would place him as a tier 3 national recruit, around 15-20 in the senior class.

Admittedly, I don't know much about Schuster.

OU:

Kline was excellent this weekend, and may have been a great early get for OU. It seems like he finally reached the potential many had talked about since he burst onto the scene as a freshman.

Wrage was a great find. He rampaged through the IA state tournament this season after a runner up finish as a junior. He may end up being the gem of this class for OU.

Wilson, not sure what happened to him this weekend. Was he hurt? Sick? After a finalist appearance in the NHSCA Junior Nationals he seemed like a tier 2 recruit, but his results this weekend raised some questions. It appears that Greenlee and staff were looking to address 174 long term with Wilson and Kline in the same class.

Ciccarello will be a good depth guy at 125 and possible starter. OU needs to address this class ASAP.

Side note - does it seem like all three of our D1 programs are starting to peek out of state? KSU has done well for themselves in PA the last few years. With OU's IA connections will we see more kids from IA heading east in the future? Just a thought.

All of these teams are far from done, and we will not be able to comment on their classes in their entirety until August. Don't sleep on OU, they will be better very quickly.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 3, 2008

Ohio St needs a good 174 prospect , plain and simple, if they get that done this is a good class, but its a very BIG IF right now . Think from Junior College, if it happens. ---- i'm not dissing Keaton Thompson at all, because i don't know him and a top wrestler might come from any state, but Alabama is a terribly weak wrestling state.

Ohio St has a real enigma at 285 next year, alot of candidates but --- --- -----. 285 and 174 could be real problems, not for sure, but could be .

Kent St is on the UPmove as has been proven and documented so if their class would be as good or even better than Ohio States its no surprise to me.

Ohio U needs alot of help , but they just recently got their full 9.9 up from 4.5 scholarships so i am reserving judgement. Time will tell.

I like Kent's class a lot as it addresses needs nicely. Witt becomes the future at 174 while Schuster, considered among the top 100 recruits by InterMat, provides help in the 149-157 area. Skonieczny has a great style for college while Mitcheff and Opfer add depth at 125. I suppose Bedelyon might eventually grow to 133 but it looks like it will be a few years.

Bob sums up Ohio State succintly with regard to areas of weakness for next season. It's vital that they add some more prospects in the 165-174 area as there is no depth at the moment (nor do we know who'll start at 174).

OU? They have some good young talent right now but it doesn't matter who you recruit if the wrestlers keep quitting, getting hurt or having grade issues. The current state of OU wrestling reminds me of Ohio State under the latter portion of Hellickson's tenure. The staff there needs to address the issues that keep dogging this program. Jim Andrassy took over a Kent program that had the same problems and they seem to have ebbed.

CSU landed highly ranked Jordan Keller. He will likely be their future at 125.

Shawn Andrews added to this discussion on March 3, 2008

Rumor has it Division 1 285 State Champ Josh Kline has already signed to play football at KSU, but is considering trying to do both football and wreslting, that being said I can't recall the two sport thing working out for to many people.

Keep up the work Jimmy, Josh, Matt, and Drew!!! Let's hope for two Ohio college teams cracking the top 15 at the NCAA tournament.
Also good luck Flashes at the MAC Tournament

Stu Herman added to this discussion on March 3, 2008

Mansfield NewsJournal has Josh Speelman heading to OU as well. This a tough kid with a ton of "upside" to borrow a Mel Kiper cliche.

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200880301028

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on March 3, 2008

I wonder if Danny Michaels is going to CSU. He had an impressive season wrestling up a weight and making the finals of a loaded 171 weight class. He would fit in perfectly at 174 for the Vikings after a redshirt season.
CSU's future looks pretty decent actually. Keller at 125 will be sweet. Armstrong returns next season from his Olympic redshirt. Nicholson should be solid at 141 or 149. Michaels and Effner should have even better seasons next year. J.T. Miller might be the most improved college wrestler in Ohio. Hahn will have one more go at the national tournament and Rashard Goff will be a legit AA contender. Look for good things from CSU next season.

Chris: David Armstrong is gone so no redshirt for Palivoda. Danny Michaels would make a real nice pickup for CSU.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 3, 2008

Wait til next year!!!

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 4, 2008

Some info on Mallie Shuster - #1 ranked in PA at 152 this year - placed at States last year (and 2006 I believe); 5th at the Beast tournament;

If you want to follow his progress at the PA States this weekend - http://www.piaa.org/assets/web/documents/2008_WR_AAA_Brax.pdf

Enjoy!

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on March 6, 2008

Bob,

OSU should look at Quentin Wright from PA for the 174lbs class. I don't know if he is spoken for but he seems like a winner and maybe a 2x PA state champ.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on March 6, 2008

Wright signed early with Penn State.

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on March 6, 2008

I missed that, but thanks you are correct.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 6, 2008

yes Quinten Wright of Bald Eagle Area PA would look nice in scarlet & gray-- he won a couple so-so college tourn this season too-- is ranked # 1 at 171 by AWN. But alas the recruiting gods smiled on Penn St in this matter.

Mallie Shuster going to Kent St is ranked # 12 at 160.

Ohio States hopes lie in the Junior college ranks, its that or we will be talking about this same 174 subject a year from now.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 13, 2008

Shuster won the PA State title at 152.

BTW, Jordan Oliver we lost to Okla St in the recruiting battle, dominated the PA 130 class in winning his 3rd title. I read something that out of 30+ matches, only 3 wrestlers held him to 'regular' wins - every other match was either a major, tech fall or pin.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next