Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Why Is OHSAA Still Operating State Meet Like It's 1869?
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 10, 2018

1) We should be able to watch the entire meet online. I'd gladly pay to do it.

2) Results should be near instantaneous. Instead, the cons semis started at 10am and nothing has been posted.

I keep picturing the ghost of the late great Al Carroll sitting by the action, writing everything down on note cards to record the results. Al was the long time secretary of the Greater Cleveland Wrestling Coaches and Officials Association. He did fabulous work but his methods are hopelessly outdated in today's world. The OHSAA needs to do much better.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 10, 2018

There is a reason and it starts at the top of the food chain.
I would have to imagine that someone thinks that providing the info on-line will reduce attendance.

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"There is a reason and it starts at the top of the food chain.
I would have to imagine that someone thinks that providing the info on-line will reduce attendance."

Except you could charge people per session to log on. Or a flat rate.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 10, 2018

I don't have a problem with what you propose. Actually I would welcome it for the years I am not on the floor.
I am simply stating that the man in charge has his way of doing things and the OHSAA is not going to rock the boat with him.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 10, 2018

they want fans in the seats, not online, fans stay in Columbus hotels and eat at restaurants. And they want to look around and see a full house which i cant blame em for.

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on March 10, 2018

Will flow wrestling be streaming finals?

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"they want fans in the seats, not online, fans stay in Columbus hotels and eat at restaurants. And they want to look around and see a full house which i cant blame em for."

Fans will still come because their children are wrestling. And there is no reason why the results aren't available within a few minutes of matches ending.

I'd love to see another wrestling organization challenge the OHSAA in court for the right to run the Ohio State wrestling meet. The idea that I can't watch live in 2018 is ridiculous.

I'd settle for live streaming the finals. It would be a start.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 10, 2018

Go to you Youtube. Search for cable 9. Some nice uploads from today and maybe yesterday. Jeff Cole delivers again.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 11, 2018

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"Go to you Youtube. Search for cable 9. Some nice uploads from today and maybe yesterday. Jeff Cole delivers again."

And he's appreciated. Those results are on Flo. But I'm still convinced the OHSAA is a reactive organization without a progressive thought in their heads when it comes to how they go about their business. And by "progressive" I'm not talking politics.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 11, 2018

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"
Fans will still come because their children are wrestling. And there is no reason why the results aren't available within a few minutes of matches ending.

I'd love to see another wrestling organization challenge the OHSAA in court for the right to run the Ohio State wrestling meet. The idea that I can't watch live in 2018 is ridiculous.
"

I guess I see a difference between fans and parents.

You are 100% correct, parents and other relatives will always come to the event.

Fans might be a little different. I know if I have the choice between sitting at home (no hotel costs, no over priced stadium food, no travel coasts) vs going to the arena, I am likely to stay home and live stream it. Like Bob P said, Bruce Maurer wants butts in the seats. That shows the OHSAA what a great event he runs. Maybe not what we would like but the 21st century has not arrived for some people.

Regarding your second point, the OHSAA is a private company (officially not for profit) so anyone else could hold the event (like the OAC) but as of right now, no one is stepping up to try and take it on. I suspect the hard part would be getting the schools behind it. Tradition is hard to break.

I would just like to see Time-Warner/Spectrum use the rights they have and broadcast the event. Not time delayed but either on a regular TV channel or on the web. It seems really stupid to purchase the rights to something and then not use them.

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on March 11, 2018

The OHSAA state tournament management sounds similar to the Indy 500 management. The Indy 500 is not broadcast live in the Indianapolis market. The race is broadcast on tape delay at 8pm the Sunday of the race. Ratings still beat everything in the time slot even with the delay. The rationale is that less people would attend the event if it was broadcast live. Seems like a naive perspective for each event.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 11, 2018

"I would just like to see Time-Warner/Spectrum use the rights they have and broadcast the event. Not time delayed but either on a regular TV channel or on the web. It seems really stupid to purchase the rights to something and then not use them."

My understanding is that they did broadcast them live this year. I, sadly, don’t have the ability to watch the channel they were on because I have DirecTV.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 11, 2018

Maybe the news didn't reach our little corner of the world here on OW.net?

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 11, 2018

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

"I would just like to see Time-Warner/Spectrum use the rights they have and broadcast the event. Not time delayed but either on a regular TV channel or on the web. It seems really stupid to purchase the rights to something and then not use them."

My understanding is that they did broadcast them live this year. I, sadly, don’t have the ability to watch the channel they were on because I have DirecTV."

If that is true, I hope the word got out there. I never heard a thing about it.
Maybe it can be found on some sort of direct playback of past programing.
Thanx!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 11, 2018

No argument, Hank. But I must say, we see things from a fan’s perspective. I have no clue how the powers that Be View it but I guarantee it ain’t through the same lens.

I love FloArena’s brackets. See a match you like? If it has happened, click it and watch the video. No reason whatsoever we can’t create something like that.

Additionally, I saw on twitter that the state of Ohio has a terrific product when it comes to wrestling and the state tournament. I agree! Let us treat it as such. (They do it a bit with the platform, the pageantry, and the venue - why not truly go all out?)

One last point - I saw a few tweets from college coaches about the depth of Ohio High School wrestling. I personally thought I’d was a bit/slightly/a tad down this year. But they are attending other states like NC, SC, TN, etc. so their gauge is probably different. All that to say, we, in Ohio, are spoiled.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next