Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Stock Up
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 11, 2018

The Ohio State Meet always produces a few surprises and some wrestlers perform in a manner that makes clear they should be much more highly regarded nationally. Two guys in D1 that stood out to me:

Carson Kharchla--Might be the best wrestler in Ohio right now not named David Carr. Emil Soehnlen is highly regarded nationally and Carson beat him 7-2 in the semis. Majored the rest of his comp. Gotta believe his cel phone hasn't stopped buzzing since around 7:30 last night. He was ranked 6th nationally--just behind Soehnlen--but he is the highest ranked uncommitted prospect in the country at the weight.

Antonio McCloud--Need a 285? McCloud, a senior, just bonused his way through his bracket with two majors and two pins. This was a solid group of competitors as well. Not sure who he lost to as he entered state with a 40-4 record but my guess is this young man is fielding a lot of calls right now as well.

Who else?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

And how about Kevon Freeman from Lake Catholic? Beats Ryan Thomas/Graham in battle of returning titlists. Freeman has been on the low end of the national radar for awhile. Wonder why Bucks are grabbing kids from Texas and Iowa and not this kid? Grades? Something else? Bucks remain unsettled at 165. I'd love to see this kid either in Columbus or at KENT, OU or CSU.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 11, 2018

I’m a big fan of Bryce Andonian of Ed’s 1st-5th-1st and reminds me of Bo Nickal with his style. He will give up a TD or 2 but always finds away to put a kid on his back

Nevan Snodrass, Kettering Fairmount, has the style to make a solid D1 wrestler. Very physical and moves forward. Needs to tighten his offense and get in real shape but I like his potential.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 11, 2018

Ryan Anderson, Beth. Catholic 138 - slick kid who enjoys his wrestling. Probably tough to get to OSU as his dad was shown wearing a PSU wrestling shirt. :)

And of course Sam Hillegas - already a 2 time champ as a soph.

Yeah, I watched that other state's championships. :)

Just watched video from Flo on Antonio McCloud. He's probably no more than a third year wrestler--maybe only his second. He barely knows what he's doing but he's very strong with good hips and some nice greco training.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 11, 2018

I like Cornell Beecham. I see HUGE upside.

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"I’m a big fan of Bryce Andonian of Ed’s 1st-5th-1st and reminds me of Bo Nickal with his style. He will give up a TD or 2 but always finds away to put a kid on his back"

Second it. He isn't even close to being as good as he's going to become. Looks like a perfect fit for NC State. Popolizio loves long guys with gunslinger mentalities.

Ryan Dickson added to this discussion on March 12, 2018

Not as well known but I was extremely impressed with Naeem Russell from Lima Sr. Very rare to have a kid from Lima Sr. to have success in wrestling and I think in the right environment in College that kid could be special..Also agree with Beachum McCloud and Andonian super fun to watch. On a side note Ash St John and Lasalle have some baby beasts! Both of those programs would be a great place for any coach to create a pipeline into.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on March 12, 2018

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Carson Kharchla--Might be the best wrestler in Ohio right now not named David Carr. Emil Soehnlen is highly regarded nationally and Carson beat him 7-2 in the semis. Majored the rest of his comp. Gotta believe his cel phone hasn't stopped buzzing since around 7:30 last night. He was ranked 6th nationally--just behind Soehnlen--but he is the highest ranked uncommitted prospect in the country at the weight.
"

No question about it, Carson is a very tough kid. Rocky beat him 1-0 at Ironman and I think the next match is a coin flip. Also at Ironman, Soehnlen beat Ramirez from Blair in OT and Kharchla lost to Ramirez in OT. Rocky pinned Soehnlen in the finals. All 4 of these guys will be studs in college.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on March 13, 2018

McCloud is committed/signed to D2 Wheeling Jesuit.

Freeman is an uncommitted senior.

Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on March 13, 2018

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Nevan Snodrass, Kettering Fairmount, has the style to make a solid D1 wrestler. Very physical and moves forward. Needs to tighten his offense and get in real shape but I like his potential."

Very tough kid (it's Fairmont). Took 4th as a freshman last year at 145 and then 4th again this year at 160. Lost to top guy each year in the semi's...Demas and then Mattox this year. Was 3rd at Fargo and 8th UWW Cadets this summer. Looking forward to seeing this kid continue to train hard and get on top of that podium.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on March 13, 2018

Quote from Josh Lowe's post:

"McCloud is committed/signed to D2 Wheeling Jesuit.

Freeman is an uncommitted senior."

Josh, I thought I recalled Freeman was signed with UM?

► Add to the Discussion