Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: OSU vs. PSU - interesting observations
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 20, 2018

I noticed a couple comments during the tournament that I found intriguing.

1. When Zeb (who is a world-class interviewer) was talking with Coach Ryan, he mentioned the access that OSU allows and how this is different than PSU. It occurred to me that PSU doesn't supply much intelligence about their program in media outlets or social.

2. During the broadcast, one of the announcers said that by being so vocal about the OSU-PSU battle, the Buckeyes actually put a target on their back when PSU was the defending champ. I believe the announcer's position was that OSU wrestled tentative, as many favorites do, while PSU was letting it fly.

I found these observations interesting.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 20, 2018

The announcer was David Taylor. At first I thought he had a point but he didn't.

OSU did not wrestle tentative. They simply lost several critical matches that might have proven the difference.

1) If Hayes wins in the quarters (controversial bout)
2) If Moore wins in the semis (Conel elevated his wrestling about 10000% at Tourney. Same for Tariq Wilson)
3) If Myles flattens his hips in the finals.

Not mad at any of these wrestlers. They are warriors. Those are some obvious bouts that had the Bucks been victorious might well have resulted in a team title.

Cael is the Bill Belichik of college wrestling. He makes the difference and wants his methods to remain secret. He has no interest in the media as it doesn't help his program succeed. He is a purist and wants the wrestling to speak for itself.

Tom Ryan is a people person and salesman. He wants to tell the world about the fabulous people at Ohio State and does so at every opportunity. I have no problem with it.

PSU fans have bought into Cael's culture so they seem Tom Ryan as somehow offensive. I call bullshit. They should be broader minded.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 22, 2018

Interesting point I heard on a trackwrestling podcast. They were discussing the team race and pinpointed Keshawn’s quarterfinal loss to the North Carolina appointment. Up to that point the Bucks were 22-1, from that point forward they went 19-15. Interesting tipping point. Obviously the further you go in the tournament the tougher the competition, but it shows how much the pendulum swung back towards PSU. At that exact point the Bucks were up 29.5 points.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on March 22, 2018

There are guys from my past(Indiana) that had him as a grad assistant and back then, knew he would make a great coach, he was described as kind, motivating, free with knowledge and would go to the mat for you(old mob reference).

what I like most about Tom Ryan is how he spreads the success with athletes, coaches, trainers, everyone gets credit, the program is transparent and open to view

PSU is not, and I hope the whole story of PSU wrestling and Cael will be written, and all of you find out who Bonnie Epstein is, she is the the glue, probably the single most important part of the program, that is not an exaggeration.

Without her there is no Olympic Gold Medal, ISU, PSU coaching jobs, or the multiple ncaaa champs, all americans for team championships. Just ask him.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 22, 2018

Quote from Bill Splete's post:

"There are guys from my past(Indiana) that had him as a grad assistant and back then, knew he would make a great coach, he was described as kind, motivating, free with knowledge and would go to the mat for you(old mob reference).

what I like most about Tom Ryan is how he spreads the success with athletes, coaches, trainers, everyone gets credit, the program is transparent and open to view

PSU is not, and I hope the whole story of PSU wrestling and Cael will be written, and all of you find out who Bonnie Epstein is, she is the the glue, probably the single most important part of the program, that is not an exaggeration.

Without her there is no Olympic Gold Medal, ISU, PSU coaching jobs, or the multiple ncaaa champs, all americans for team championships. Just ask him."

There is good reason why she always with the team - home or away.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 23, 2018

"PSU is not, and I hope the whole story of PSU wrestling and Cael will be written, and all of you find out who Bonnie Epstein is, she is the the glue, probably the single most important part of the program, that is not an exaggeration."

http://triblive.com/sports/college/pennstate/5072306-74/sanderson-state-penn

https:/https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/nlwc-vs-penn-state-wrestling-club-whats-the-difference.9490/

/pennstatermag.com/tag/bonnie-epstein/

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 23, 2018

[quote="Justin Hayes"]

"PSU is not, and I hope the whole story of PSU wrestling and Cael will be written, and all of you find out who Bonnie Epstein is, she is the the glue, probably the single most important part of the program, that is not an exaggeration."

http://triblive.com/sports/college/pennstate/5072306-74/sanderson-state-penn

https:/https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/nlwc-vs-penn-state-wrestling-club-whats-the-difference.9490/

Bill Splete added to this discussion on March 23, 2018

Thats nice he mentioned her, but as I always suspect behind any great success is an ohio connection and Ms Epstein has spent some time in Ohio,(greater cleveland) as has cody.

What she did, is what many of you coaches do with your young athletes when they are at a cross roads in life, remind them who they are, what really matters, and get your butt back in the fight, and have some fun doing it.

Tom Ryan is open to anyone, Cael isn't, that is the primary difference in the two.

Tom doesn't protect his knowledge, Cael does, and he is specific who ever sees the real technique. They are both great coaches and leaders of programs, but my point is we got the best one. Thats my observation.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 23, 2018

I think Coach Sanderson has done a near perfect job since being hired by Penn State. He came in with high expectations and he's exceeded them. While no one is above criticism, I don't see where people find fault in the job he's done. If he came to tOSU instead of Penn State and had the same success, He'd already have a statue. His methods would never be questioned and he would be universally praised.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on March 23, 2018

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I think Coach Sanderson has done a near perfect job since being hired by Penn State. He came in with high expectations and he's exceeded them. While no one is above criticism, I don't see where people find fault in the job he's done. If he came to tOSU instead of Penn State and had the same success, He'd already have a statue. His methods would never be questioned and he would be universally praised."

Darn it Michael! - It scares me when I have to agree with you!

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 23, 2018

Michael - I don't see negative statements about Cael in this thread. Do you?

I see commentary/opinion about how he runs the program, which is common on a message board/forum.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 23, 2018

Ethan...You're right. No one's coming at Sanderson. I was reading Bill's posts and trying to imagine I was a fan. How would I try to frame "my program" in the best light? Bill (and Hank) talked about how one program is transparent and the other isn't, sort of alluding to the virtues of transparency.

Bill came right out and said "we got the best one". That's what Iowa says about Brands and what Oklahoma State says about Smith. It's what Cornell says about Koll and what Michigan said about Mcfarland. Those guys are all great coaches, and each is/might be a great fit for their program/university. But Sanderson is a better wrestling coach then anyone not named Dan Gable (and he's only in his mid-30s).

His guys love him him, his program is clean, he graduates his athletes and they win...a lot more than everyone else.

Pat...Don't sweat it. I'm right so infrequently that it won't happen often.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on March 23, 2018

Michael good stuff, your right i made my pick, its based on more than what I wrote, but its not a knock on Cael, but I do have strong opinions of him as a person.

► Add to the Discussion