Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Greatest OSU Wrestler EVER? - Logan or Kyle?
Pat Altvater added to this discussion on March 23, 2018

First of all let me say that I have been a huge fan of Kyle Snyder during his entire career at OSU. I have celebrated every victory, and I have mourned every loss, though there was't many.

BUT, I have seen a couple of different sources and articles lately that have said that Kyle is OSU's best 'collegiate' wrestler ever. There was an article that said that Kyle should be on OSU's Mount Rushmore as one of its 4 best athletes of all time, with the likes of Jesse Owens, Jack Nicklaus, and Archie, based on 'collegiate accomplishments only'. - Actually 3 of those 4 are more known for their accomplishments outside of the NCAA arena. Kyle and Jesse for their Olympic and World Competitions, and Jack for his Professional Golf career. Of course, Archie's fame is for the 2 Heisman trophies that OSU won while he had the opportunity to carry the ball for them!

My point is to compare the 'collegiate' careers for Kyle and Logan.

Logan had many more victories than Kyle in an OSU singlet.
Logan had significantly more pins than Kyle.
Logan had 4 NCAA championships to Kyle's 3.
Logan had higher finishes in the Hodge Trophy Awards because of his dominance, and higher points earned per match due to his high pin percentage.
Logan was always there for his team to support them as a captain. (I support and applaud what Kyle did on the international level, but from a 'collegiate' perspective, he wasn't always there to support his team.)

So, my point is that as an 'OSU collegiate wrestler', I think that Logan Stieber had the ultimate career for OSU.

I certainly invite alternate opinions as always on this thread.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 23, 2018

If you're talking NCAA folkstyle wrestling, it's not close. Stieber has all the measurables...more wins, more titles, more dominant. But the problem comes through when you realize that what Snyder did on the International stage while attending tOSU was remarkable can not be ignored.

I've actually thought about this a lot. I'm not sure Synder is a better wrestler than Logan Stieber. If Stieber is at his best weight, wrestling people that are the same weight, he's the best in the world. If, SOMEHOW, that version of Logan Stieber could be enlarged to be 213 pounds. I honestly don't know who wins that bout.

But, and this is not a slam on Stieber, Snyder also has that "it" factor. He had the confidence to try to wrestle (and win) at the NCAA level AND the World level simultaneously. Who does that??? He got people who don't know wrestling to notice what he was doing. He was a subject on the radio both locally and nationally. He's got an "aw shucks" quality while he lifts 280-pounders up in the air and dominates 97kgers from all over the world. He was also the captain for four years (including a team Logan Stieber was on). He's larger than life...Like Mt Rushmore.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on March 23, 2018

this doesn't really answer the question, but since I've been following tOSU, my favorite wrestler to watch, and it's not close, is logan.

greatest tosu collegiate ever? if you take NCAA results only, it's logan. if you take all results while you were in college, ie an amateur collegiate athlete, it's kyle. I would say that kyle is the greatest collegiate wrestler in history. 6 combined (possibly 7) NCAA\world championships in 4 years? sorry PSU fans, but kyle > cael

Last edited by Alex Creech on March 23, 2018; edited 1 time in total

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 23, 2018

Clearly it's Tommy Rowlands. :) :) :)

I don't know, did Sanderson try to make the 2000 Olympic team? I'd be interested to see the results if he did. Was the year he lost to Les Gutches or was that after he graduated? Clearly, I'm too lazy to look them up myself.

I will say, 159-0 means something.

OK, I looked it up and it looks like Sanderson finished 6th at 187.25. Now, he defaulted to sixth and I don't know the nature of the injury.

Rex took third at 213 that year. Do you remember anything regarding Sanderson at the 2000 trials?

Dan Strope added to this discussion on March 23, 2018

Every time the subject of the greatest OSU wrestler ever comes up I can't help to think of Kevin Randleman and where he would have stacked up had he completed his fourth season. The "dislocated jaw" NCAA title run was simply off the charts remarkable.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 23, 2018

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"OK, I looked it up and it looks like Sanderson finished 6th at 187.25. Now, he defaulted to sixth and I don't know the nature of the injury.

Rex took third at 213 that year. Do you remember anything regarding Sanderson at the 2000 trials?"

Any time an individual defaults to 6th, in my mind, I automatically give them the championship. ;-)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 23, 2018

https://www.facebook.com/william.knight.9849/posts/10213798574552817?pnref=story

Read the comments. Lots of former Buckeyes offer opinions on the topic.

Last edited by Hank Kornblut on March 23, 2018; edited 1 time in total

Alex Creech added to this discussion on March 23, 2018

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I will say, 159-0 means something."

Absolutely, but Kyle's 6 combined NCAA\world titles is better, and Kyle did not take a redshirt.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 23, 2018

If your criteria for greatest college wrestler is strictly based on college comp, your all time greatest is probably Cael.

If it takes into account winning two World Championships and Olympic Gold while simulataneously winning 3 NCAA Titles as a 220 lb heavy, your answer is Kyle Snyder.

In my opinion, Snyder is the GOAT.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 24, 2018

ORLANDO, Fla. (March 23, 2018) – The title of top amateur athlete will be put to a vote this week, as eight elite athletes, including Baltimore-native Kyle Snyder, were announced as finalists for the 88th AAU James E. Sullivan Award. Other finalists for the award include Maia and Alex Shibutani, Angela Peavy, Annika Albrecht, Kelly Hunter, Joel Berry II and Erin Finn.

Snyder is the only American to ever leave college with three national championships, an Olympic gold medal (2016) and two world championships. Snyder was also recognized as both U.S. Male Olympic Athlete of the Year and Ohio State Male Athlete of the Year in 2017.

(he didnt RS either --i shook hands with him last weekend and was amazed, he's my size, LOL. If u include ALL accomplishments he is the greatest college wrestler ever.)

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 24, 2018

If you include everything - I’d still put Smith and Burroughs ahead with their accomplishments to date. Obviously Burroughs and Snyder’s can change.

Strictly what they did in a college singlet, Sanderson gets my vote.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 24, 2018

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"If you include everything - I’d still put Smith and Burroughs ahead with their accomplishments to date. Obviously Burroughs and Snyder’s can change.

Strictly what they did in a college singlet, Sanderson gets my vote."

I meant GOAT as a college wrestler. My feeling is that to win three NCAA titles and Three world titles at the same time is unparalleled.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 24, 2018

it all depends on whether u consider both college and international accomplishments while in college or college alone. Cael has a World silver and Olympic gold but both post-college. However not only was he undefeated in college he was 4X OW at NCAA tourn so he would be the GOAT college wrestler, imo.

for college only Logan Stieber 4xer is perhaps ohio states best, by a hair over Snyder.

but adding in International while in college to College record its definitely Snyder the GOAT with 3 NCAA titles, 4 finals, 2 World and one Olympic title while IN COLLEGE.

other contenders in that category are John Smith with 2 NCAA titles & one runnerup, one World and one Olympic title while in college. ...Yojiro Uetake one OLympic gold and 3 NCAA titles in college (unbeaten but only 56 career college matches didnt want to work em too hard in those days). ... Re Jordan Burroughs all his medals, one Olympic gold, 4 World gold, one World bronze came post-college. Dan Gable's medals were post-college. Some of America's greatest like Dan Hodge and Wade Schalles never won Gold.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next