Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Greatest OSU Wrestler EVER? - Logan or Kyle?
Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 24, 2018

At the '99 Sunkist, Justin Abdou from Canada beat Cael in the finals if I recall correctly. Cael was beating Gutches at the 2000 National Open until Gutches hit a 5 pointer on him. That video is somewhere on the internet as I recall watching it. I think Van Arsdale beat him in the semifinals of the mini tournament. Another big move was the difference as Cael was picking up one point takedowns. He was close in 2000, but needed a little more time to develop.

As far as Logan or Kyle, does it really matter? They are both outstanding.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 24, 2018

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"At the '99 Sunkist, Justin Abdou from Canada beat Cael in the finals if I recall correctly. Cael was beating Gutches at the 2000 National Open until Gutches hit a 5 pointer on him. That video is somewhere on the internet as I recall watching it. I think Van Arsdale beat him in the semifinals of the mini tournament. Another big move was the difference as Cael was picking up one point takedowns. He was close in 2000, but needed a little more time to develop.

As far as Logan or Kyle, does it really matter? They are both outstanding."

Takedowns being only worth 1 pt did Cael no favors.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 25, 2018

Great point. The rules at that time made for one point takedowns. When he won in 2004, takedowns were still a point.

He was still vulnerable in 2000 to some positions. He showed a willingness to continue to wrestle or not understanding what the second order effects of a couple positions meant. For example, if you continue to wrestle there and don't do such and such, you are going to give up points.

Wrestling is as much about what you actively shut down as it is about what actively engage.

This quote almost captures the same thinking, “I'm as proud of what we don't do as I am of what we do"-Steve Jobs

Gutches was hurt in 2000 and did not compete at the trials after having competed at the Open. A special wrestle off took place. He lost to Charles Burton.

Gutches hurt his back doing heavy squats in '98. I remember talking to him about it. That impaired his wrestling going forward.

Van Arsdsale lost in the finals of the mini tournament to Lee Fullhart. He had trouble with Fullhart's constant pressure forward and couldn't get is offense going. Fullheart lost to Burton the next day.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on March 27, 2018

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"

As far as Logan or Kyle, does it really matter? They are both outstanding."

Well said, Rex!

They are probably my two favorite wrestlers to watch, ever!

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2