Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: US open/ Juniors
Jared Ball added to this discussion on April 29, 2018

The Bucks weekend had to certainly be highlighted by Mckennas performance. Joeys championship sets him up for what more than likely will be a showdown with Logan for the world team spot. Logan’s inconsistency popped up again against Eierman. Logan made a little more work for himself, but I think he makes it back through the challenge tourney to meet up with Joey at final X. McKenna looked so solid all weekend. He wrestles such a controlled and consistent tempo. On a side note I was really impressed with how much Alex Dieringer has closed the gap with Kyle Dake. It should be really interesting to see a match up with Reader to see Dake again.
On the juniors side you have to be excited with some of the results that you saw. Jordan Decatur has continued on a freestyle tear through some impressive opponents. His 10-0 tech of Cornell stud Vito was eye popping, unfortunately the favor was returned in the finals by Iowa State redshirt Austin Gomez. Still an impressive showing as a high school junior. BTW, why haven’t we seen his super talented brother at some of these events? Too light still?
It was also good to see Malik Heinselman have a solid showing. Previously a multiple time word team member, he made the finals in pretty solid fashion before dropping that match by several points. He has his work cut out for him to make the junior team this go around. On a side note “all world” PSU recruit Gavin Teasdale finished fourth at this weight. He must be killing himself to make 125.5, as the anointed starter next season I’m not sure that’s sustainable.
Bucks redshirts Ethan Smith (8th) and Kaleb Romero (4th) both qualified for the world team trials. Romero forfeited for third so hopefully there wasn’t any major injuries sustained. An eleven warriors article stated that Romero has had limited freestyle experience, if so that’s pretty impressive.
On a sour note world bronze medalist Gavin Hoffman sustained a broken ankle in the tournament, hopefully it heals cleanly and with enough time for him to start the season healthy; although, I know he was slotted to redshirt anyway. Either way let’s hope he’s on the mend quickly

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 29, 2018

Jordan Decatur beat Vito Arujai? Wow.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 29, 2018

This was Kaleb’s first freestyle tournament. He didn’t forfeit for third, he was DQ’d on cautions. On for defending a gut and two for hands to face. All three were bad bad cautions. Tervel said, he’s defending a gut. What was he supposed to do and after second cautionasked the official, “do you just want us to forfeit?” That officiating was what you’d expect in Russia wrestling a Russian.

I was encouraged with his wrestling but his FS inexperience was clearly evident.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 29, 2018

Romero has a sneaky head inside single leg. Deceptively quick.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 29, 2018

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Romero has a sneaky head inside single leg. Deceptively quick."

Even faster in person. :)

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on April 30, 2018

I think Heinselman's runner-up finish at 57 kg showed promise for him at 125. When he made the Jr World Team last year it was at 50 kg. The Jr division had both 50 and 55 in the past, and now the lightest weight is 57. Even though he didn't win the bracket I'm not too worried about him.

On Lance Palmer's twitter he said that he couldn't compete at the Open because of his PFL contract - does anyone more in the know have insight as to why his MMA contract would prevent him from wrestling?

Last edited by Jeff Streu on April 30, 2018; edited 1 time in total

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 30, 2018

Quote from Jeff Streu's post:

"I think Heinselman's runner-up finish at 57 kg showed promise for him at 125. When he made the Jr World Team last year it was at 50 kg. The Jr division had both 50 and 55 in the past, and now the lightest weight is 57. Even though he didn't make the team I'm not too worried about him.

On Lance Palmer's twitter he said that he couldn't compete at the Open because of his PFL contract - does anyone more in the know have insight as to why his MMA contract would prevent him from wrestling?"

I don't have any insight but I would have to imagine they don't want him to get hurt competing at an event outside of MMA.

Matt Hall added to this discussion on April 30, 2018

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"On a side note I was really impressed with how much Alex Dieringer has closed the gap with Kyle Dake. It should be really interesting to see a match up with Reader to see Dake again."

According to Mark Bader, Kyle Dake broke his thumb shortly before his match with Dieringer.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on May 15, 2018

WTT this weekend and the following Bucks will be there

Malik
Jordan Decatur
Sammy Sasso
Kaleb Romero
Ethan Smith

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on May 18, 2018

Result:

Sammy Sasso PINS Jarod Verkleen. It appears the score was tied 2-2 and Sasso pinned him with an inside cradle. Nice.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/997495804221902848

Result:

Heinselman techs Joey Melendez.

Sasso loses 11-7 to Murin from Iowa.

Decatur has a bye to the semis, faces Midkiff.

Romero has a bye to the semis, faces Marinelli.

Smith has Finesilver, whom I think he lost to before, coming up.

Smith beats Finesilver, has Breske (Nebraska) in the semis.

Heinselman has Rayvon Foley, MSU starter who had a big win over Assad (tsun) last year, in the semis. Good test of his readiness for next year.

Heinselman and Decatur to the finals!

Sasso gets a pin in the consis.

Romero loses to Marinelli.

Smith is wrestling right now.

Smith to the finals over Breske!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 19, 2018

Heinselman is a serious stud. My only question was size and he's added some. Still a bit small but no longer tiny. His skill set is as good as any major recruit the Bucks have had in recent years. Admittedly, he's better at Free than Folk but taking out Foley (who gave Nato a hard time in the dual) is impressive esp. because the ref was horrible. Heinselman is ready to step in and start.

Ethan Smith may be the next 184 for the Bucks. I know the plan is to bulk up Rock Jordan but I'm not convinced that's going to work out. Smith would beat him right now. The future of 174 might be a battle between Jordan and Romero.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on May 19, 2018

Taking anything from the Bull/Romero score or nah?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next