Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Josh Moore new Cleveland St head
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 1, 2018

best of luck to him, the pieces are in place

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 1, 2018

All in all, he seems to be a good hire. He has improved the recruiting and has had the success on the D1 level you look for. I am excited for the Vikings.

Best wishes to Ben Stehura.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 1, 2018

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"All in all, he seems to be a good hire. He has improved the recruiting and has had the success on the D1 level you look for. I am excited for the Vikings.

Best wishes to Ben Stehura."

Agreed and agreed.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 1, 2018

things must improve--- a wonderful NCAA tourn in Cleveland, everyone raved about it, all the beat writers-- and both Cleveland St & OU scored zero points.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 1, 2018

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"things must improve--- a wonderful NCAA tourn in Cleveland, everyone raved about it, all the beat writers-- and both Cleveland St & OU scored zero points."

If Kyle Conel hadn't caught fire, Kent would have had a very low total as well. Not a good year for Ohio's other three D1 programs.

I do think Josh Moore will do a good job of having decent teams and talented individuals. I think he'll produce some AA's.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 2, 2018

Josh Moore a good choice, can recruit, knows the area, 11 years as Kent asst. Kids like him i hear-- wanted the job badly. Personally former PSU A/A, took 2nd or 3rd, was Penn State record holder for all-time matches wrestled (184), career pins (53), single-season pins (24) and senior wins (44).

Dick Bonacci was a heckuva coach, did alot with nothing, no budget, no full time paid asst even. Moore can do more as he has more resources & support from his AD. Also CSU a much nicer campus now.

i quote:
Coach Bonacci was a three time MAC champion and captained two MAC championship teams. He wrestled twice at the NCAA Championships. After briefly serving as interim coach at Toledo, he came back home in 1962 to establish the wrestling program of the Fenn College Foxes in downtown Cleveland which would become the Cleveland State Vikings in 1964. In 36 seasons he guided his teams to 296 dual meet wins. CSU transitioned into Division 1, the Eastern Wrestling League for the 1977-78 season. Bonacci's team met immediate success in the EWL. In 1979, Cleveland State dethroned Penn State as EWL champs in both dual meets and the tournament and finished 20th in the NCAA tournament.

Over the course of the 70s, 80s, and 90s the EWL was easily the third best conference in NCAA Division 1 only surpassed by the Big 8 and Big 10 conferences. Over that span Bonacci coached 19 EWL Champions and 4 Division 1 All Americans. Bonacci's teams wrestled a ten match home and home series with Dan Gable's Iowa Hawkeyes and after a few tries CSU knocked off traditional powerhouse Oklahoma in 1978 and Michigan in 1981.

Bonacci's teams in the seventies and eighties were usually the best wrestling squad in Ohio regularly knocking off Ohio State. His wrestlers came ready to wrestle at NCAAs as well upsetting such legends of the sport as when Billy Walsh beat Lee Roy Smith, Dan Foldesy shocked John Smith, Paul Kapper bested Zeke Jones, and Dan Carcelli defeated Bill Zadick. In the 90s, Bonacci coached All American Dan Carcelli who along with Matt Dulka represent CSU's only three time EWL champions. His tenure came to a close in 1998 when he was instrumental in hosting the NCAA Division 1 Wrestling Tournament at the Wolstein Center on the campus of CSU..

John Ice added to this discussion on May 3, 2018

Thanks for sharing that Bob, those are the CSU teams I remember. Any idea who else was considered for the job?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 3, 2018

Quote from John Ice's post:

"Thanks for sharing that Bob, those are the CSU teams I remember. Any idea who else was considered for the job?"

so u want me to name names? i could get blacklisted at Hop Sings !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaTbErVDQ40

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 3, 2018

bob--that's hilarious!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 3, 2018

"bob--that's hilarious!"

to quote the late great Milton Berle, i try to "always leave them laughing"

names ive heard applied incl Tom Milkovich, Alan Fried, Ken Chertow, Andy Hrovat. (No Kulczycki or Anthony Ralph or Erik Burnett.) i understand 20 applicants. This was a sought-after job.

CSU has 9.9 in-state schols btw. What Moore needs to do is make CSU a kool place to go. With a nicer campus nowadays, CSU with dynamic new coach should be able to attract Ohio talent.

Jeff Reid added to this discussion on May 4, 2018

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"

"bob--that's hilarious!"

to quote the late great Milton Berle, i try to "always leave them laughing"

names ive heard applied incl Tom Milkovich, Alan Fried, Ken Chertow, Andy Hrovat. (No Kulczycki or Anthony Ralph or Erik Burnett.) i understand 20 applicants. This was a sought-after job.

CSU has 9.9 in-state schols btw. What Moore needs to do is make CSU a kool place to go. With a nicer campus nowadays, CSU with dynamic new coach should be able to attract Ohio talent."

Wow, that is an impressive group to apply.

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on May 4, 2018

Of those applicants, Moore was the correct choice. Best wishes to him and the program.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 4, 2018

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Of those applicants, Moore was the correct choice. Best wishes to him and the program."

Well said.

John Ice added to this discussion on June 30, 2018

Any word on who the assistant might be?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 30, 2018

Quote from John Ice's post:

"Any word on who the assistant might be?"

I’m yet to receive a callback, soooooooo...

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next