Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State - Dr Richard Strauss
Rex Holman added to this discussion on July 7, 2018

I have been contemplating sharing my thoughts for some time. I would like to address some issues regarding Dr. Strauss and the alleged sexual abuse at The Ohio State University.

For starters, I’ll tell you what I knew. Dr. Strauss was the team doctor for the wrestling team. The running joke was that regardless of ailment, he would check your genitals. This made you wary of him especially in one on one situations, let alone behind closed doors. I believe this was in large part because we believed Strauss was a homosexual and at that time we were homophobic for good reasons as I will explain below. I presumed he was a closet homosexual as he was married and had a son with whom I graduated high school. Why my presumption? He was thin, neat and effeminate in gesture and voice. These are the characteristics of which I thought gay men possessed at the time. Whenever, we interacted I was always wary of his actions based on the jokes and his disposition.

Despite not trusting him, he never crossed the line with me. Strauss gave his number out to everyone on the team and made himself available for health-related issues. Anything from stitches to medicines, he doctored. I distinctly remember one time in which I had a bad case of jock itch, which needed medicine. I called him despite being hesitant to do so and he met me at the student health center. I was uncomfortable with him examining my genital area, but he didn’t cross the line and I was relieved.

On the matter of locker room talk. A lot of things get said. There is a lot of joking, some exaggeration and some truth. Improperly discerning what is said is the way rumor and innuendo gets started. I listened to a lot of talk and sometimes I didn’t know what was true and what was false.

While people said they were uncomfortable with Dr. Strauss, no one ever complained to me that he attempted any sex act with them or, to the best of my recollection, fondled or groped them. I am also unaware that anyone complained to Jim Jordan that Dr. Strauss attempted any sex act with them or fondled or groped them. I am not disputing what anyone said. I am just telling you what I knew.

With regard to Larkins Hall, it was hostile place to be a straight male. The thing I hated most was the gauntlet. To get to the showers you had to walk past the bathroom stalls and urinals, which I refer to as the gauntlet. You felt and saw eyes upon you as soon as you passed the threshold. It was not uncommon to look up and seeing some guy peaking over the bathroom stall or the same person would be at the urinal upon leaving as when you entered. While in the shower, blatant staring, excessive soaping of genitals and the occasional masturbator were common. Sometimes those instances would get reported to a coach and sometimes you would just let it go.

There was a bathroom outside of the wrestling room in the hallway. I used it one time. When I did, a man suddenly appeared from the stall and was standing next to me. He was in my personal space and began softly talking to me. I met it with an angry verbal assault. I complained to Russ about it. Sometime thereafter Campus PD ran a sting out of it and arrested people. That was satisfying, but I never used that bathroom again. There is a record of it somewhere of that I am sure.

My senior year, I had been getting calls to the home phone from a guy that just wanted to talk. The guy was persistent despite my saying don’t ever call me again. I am fairly certain that same guy approached me in the locker room at Larkins Hall asking me if we could talk. Mind you, there was something about that person that was just not right. I said hell no, leave me alone or I’m going to hurt you. Thankfully, that was the last encounter with that guy.

So, I think that paints a fairly accurate picture of what was going on at Larkins at the time.

As for Strauss, he showered with the team. No dispute there. It didn’t bother me that he was in there. What does him being in the shower at the same time of the wrestlers mean? I don’t know, but I suspect that he liked to shower amongst fit, young men.

Did Strauss cross the line and if so, and how far?

I am going to wait and see who comes forward, see who they say they told and what becomes of this.

If a crime was committed by an OSU doctor, then the university should acknowledge and move forward with whatever standard procedure would indicate.

As far as the attack on Jim Jordan’s involvement in a cover up, I am utterly disgusted with the people coming forward with allegations of “he knew”. That is one gross assumption showing reckless disregard for a man of integrity and courage.

I want victims to come forward, however in doing so they should not be manipulated by an angry individual to bring someone else down under false pretense.

Rex Holman

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Reed Vetovitz added to this discussion on July 7, 2018

Jim Jordan was an assistant coach at the time. In my opinion, he had very little responsibility for dealing with the actions of Strauss and the troubling conditions in the training facility as reported by Rex. That stuff was WAY above his pay grade. He probably knew that the head coach knew what he knew, was responsible for dealing with it, and likely would deal with it in an appropriate manner. Most of us, put in a similar situation back in 1990's, probably would have responded the same way Jim Jordan did.

However, in response to the recent news, Jim Jordan could have honestly said "Look, I heard things around the team that I didn't take seriously enough at the time, and I deeply regret it." If he would have said this, the damage to him would be minimal, Instead, he has chosen to effectively call the former wrestlers liars (2:05 in linked video).

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/07/06/jim-jordan-responds-allegations-he-ignored-sexual-abuse-ohio-state-wrestling-coach

Mike Holman added to this discussion on July 7, 2018

Beyond the Pale

Here is a May e-mail from Mike DiSabato to Jim Jordan, as reported by Fox News.

"I BCC over 250 of my VO BROTHERS WHO WERE RAPED and/or sexual prayed [sic] upon daily under the Buckeye banner which you wanna tie your brand ..." reads the May 6 email, which closes with the phrase: "#RapeCoverUpAWayOfLife."

"VO" appears to refer to Varsity O, an alumni organization for former Ohio State athletes.

A giant smear campaign directed at Jim Jordan and The Ohio State University. Do not be part of it.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/07/06/ex-ohio-state-wrestlers-emails-to-rep-jim-jordan-allege-cover-up-vile-sex-abuse.html

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on July 7, 2018

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/jordan-wrestling-team-surrounded-by-cesspool-of-deviancy-voyeurs

Mike Stann added to this discussion on July 7, 2018

Quote from Reed Vetovitz's post:

"Jim Jordan was an assistant coach at the time. In my opinion, he had very little responsibility for dealing with the actions of Strauss and the troubling conditions in the training facility as reported by Rex. That stuff was WAY above his pay grade. He probably knew that the head coach knew what he knew, was responsible for dealing with it, and likely would deal with it in an appropriate manner. Most of us, put in a similar situation back in 1990's, probably would have responded the same way Jim Jordan did.

However, in response to the recent news, Jim Jordan could have honestly said "Look, I heard things around the team that I didn't take seriously enough at the time, and I deeply regret it." If he would have said this, the damage to him would be minimal, Instead, he has chosen to effectively call the former wrestlers liars (2:05 in linked video).

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/07/06/jim-jordan-responds-allegations-he-ignored-sexual-abuse-ohio-state-wrestling-coach"

This is my exact take on this. As an Ohio State alum what really gets my goat is this is becoming about Jordan. My question is why did the administration allow this to continue. it is hard to believe that they id not of this as the law firm investigating this confirmed numerous complaints from participants in 14 sports. Who knew and why was nothing done? This baffles me. As for Jordan the only reason I can come up with of his denial of any knowledge (as more comes out about the culture of Larkin Hall this seems more and more implausible) I can only attribute that to the desire to protect his political career . Make of that what you will.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 7, 2018

I suggest we take a break until we get more information.

Last edited by Hank Kornblut on July 8, 2018; edited 1 time in total

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on July 8, 2018

Quote from Rex Holman's post:

"I have been contemplating sharing my thoughts for some time. I would like to address some issues regarding Dr. Strauss and the alleged sexual abuse at The Ohio State University.

For starters, I’ll tell you what I knew. Dr. Strauss was the team doctor for the wrestling team. The running joke was that regardless of ailment, he would check your genitals. This made you wary of him especially in one on one situations, let alone behind closed doors. I believe this was in large part because we believed Strauss was a homosexual and at that time we were homophobic for good reasons as I will explain below. I presumed he was a closet homosexual as he was married and had a son with whom I graduated high school. Why my presumption? He was thin, neat and effeminate in gesture and voice. These are the characteristics of which I thought gay men possessed at the time. Whenever, we interacted I was always wary of his actions based on the jokes and his disposition.

Despite not trusting him, he never crossed the line with me. Strauss gave his number out to everyone on the team and made himself available for health-related issues. Anything from stitches to medicines, he doctored. I distinctly remember one time in which I had a bad case of jock itch, which needed medicine. I called him despite being hesitant to do so and he met me at the student health center. I was uncomfortable with him examining my genital area, but he didn’t cross the line and I was relieved.

On the matter of locker room talk. A lot of things get said. There is a lot of joking, some exaggeration and some truth. Improperly discerning what is said is the way rumor and innuendo gets started. I listened to a lot of talk and sometimes I didn’t know what was true and what was false.

While people said they were uncomfortable with Dr. Strauss, no one ever complained to me that he attempted any sex act with them or, to the best of my recollection, fondled or groped them. I am also unaware that anyone complained to Jim Jordan that Dr. Strauss attempted any sex act with them or fondled or groped them. I am not disputing what anyone said. I am just telling you what I knew.

With regard to Larkins Hall, it was hostile place to be a straight male. The thing I hated most was the gauntlet. To get to the showers you had to walk past the bathroom stalls and urinals, which I refer to as the gauntlet. You felt and saw eyes upon you as soon as you passed the threshold. It was not uncommon to look up and seeing some guy peaking over the bathroom stall or the same person would be at the urinal upon leaving as when you entered. While in the shower, blatant staring, excessive soaping of genitals and the occasional masturbator were common. Sometimes those instances would get reported to a coach and sometimes you would just let it go.

There was a bathroom outside of the wrestling room in the hallway. I used it one time. When I did, a man suddenly appeared from the stall and was standing next to me. He was in my personal space and began softly talking to me. I met it with an angry verbal assault. I complained to Russ about it. Sometime thereafter Campus PD ran a sting out of it and arrested people. That was satisfying, but I never used that bathroom again. There is a record of it somewhere of that I am sure.

My senior year, I had been getting calls to the home phone from a guy that just wanted to talk. The guy was persistent despite my saying don’t ever call me again. I am fairly certain that same guy approached me in the locker room at Larkins Hall asking me if we could talk. Mind you, there was something about that person that was just not right. I said hell no, leave me alone or I’m going to hurt you. Thankfully, that was the last encounter with that guy.

So, I think that paints a fairly accurate picture of what was going on at Larkins at the time.

As for Strauss, he showered with the team. No dispute there. It didn’t bother me that he was in there. What does him being in the shower at the same time of the wrestlers mean? I don’t know, but I suspect that he liked to shower amongst fit, young men.

Did Strauss cross the line and if so, and how far?

I am going to wait and see who comes forward, see who they say they told and what becomes of this.

If a crime was committed by an OSU doctor, then the university should acknowledge and move forward with whatever standard procedure would indicate.

As far as the attack on Jim Jordan’s involvement in a cover up, I am utterly disgusted with the people coming forward with allegations of “he knew”. That is one gross assumption showing reckless disregard for a man of integrity and courage.

I want victims to come forward, however in doing so they should not be manipulated by an angry individual to bring someone else down under false pretense.

Rex Holman"

I have little use for this forum, truth be told, but I wanted to comment on Rex Holman's response.

It was a very well-written account from someone who was actually there, and from someone who doesn't have an agenda against Ohio State or Jim Jordan.

Take a look, too at George Pardos' video on facebook, where Mike Disabato makes fun of Dr. Strauss on the school bus, back in the day. Some trauma there, right?

I've noticed that at least one criticizer of Jim Jordan on this thread has "GOP has NAZIs...purge them then talk" on his FB page.

Another "contributor" has a bunch of anti-Trump garbage on his page.

Good discussion?

Right...

Mike Holman added to this discussion on July 8, 2018

Quote from Rick Wasmer's post:

"https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/jordan-wrestling-team-surrounded-by-cesspool-of-deviancy-voyeurs"

I believe the article is a good description of the environment that existed in Larkins Hall at the time. Gay men harassed wrestlers on a daily basis.

I disagree with the statement in the article, “Now, new details paint a culture of “sexual deviancy” and “voyeurism” surrounding the team—making Jordan’s ignorance seem even more unlikely.”

Jim Jordan has never said that he did not know about the harassing environment that existed in Larkins Hall. He has denied that that he had knowledge that Dr. Strauss was sexually abusing his wrestlers.

Yesterday, I posted a CHALLENGE.

“Show me where it is reported that a single person complained to Jim Jordan that they were sexually abused, fondled, or groped.”

To date, not one person has come forward with the name of a single person that complained to Jim Jordan that they were sexually abused, fondled, or group.

If no one complained go him, how would he know that Dr. Strauss was sexually abusing, fondling, or groping his wrestlers?

There were jokes and locker room talk about Dr. Strauss because wrestlers believed he was gay. They were apprehensive about being examined by him because he was gay, especially because of the environment in Larkins Hall. These jokes, locker room talk, and the belief that Dr. Strauss was gay, are not equal to knowledge that Jim Jordan knew that Dr. Strauss was sexually abusing, fondling, or groping his wrestlers? If anything, it muddies the waters, making it difficult to determine after 25+ years what was locker room talk, a joke or exaggeration, and hard facts.

Did Dr. Strauss grope or fondle wrestlers? By my count three wrestlers have said he did that or touched them inappropriately. Let the investigation continue so the truth can be known.

Last edited by Mike Holman on July 9, 2018; edited 3 times in total

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 8, 2018

Mike H. - I think you ask a fair question. I’ll be interested to know if and when someone does respond.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on July 8, 2018

Quote from Mike Holman's post:

"

Quote from Rick Wasmer's post:

"https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/jordan-wrestling-team-surrounded-by-cesspool-of-deviancy-voyeurs"

I believe the article is a good description of the environment that existed in Larkins Hall at the time. Gay men harassed wrestlers on a daily basis.

I disagree with the statement in the article, “I believe the article is a good description of the environment that existed in Larkins Hall at the time. Gay men harassed wrestlers on a daily basis.

Jim Jordan has never said that he did not know about the harassing environment that existed in Larkins Hall. He has denied that that he had knowledge that Dr. Strauss was sexually abusing his wrestlers.

Yesterday, I posted a CHALLENGE.

“Show me where it is reported that a single person complained to Jim Jordan that they were sexually abused, fondled, or groped.”

To date, not one person has come forward with the name of a single person that complained to Jim Jordan that they were sexually abused, fondled, or group.

If no one complained go him, how would he know that Dr. Strauss was sexually abusing, fondling, or groping his wrestlers?

There were jokes and locker room talk about Dr. Strauss because wrestlers believed he was gay. They were apprehensive about being examined by him because he was gay, especially because of the environment in Larkins Hall. These jokes, locker room talk, and the belief that Dr. Strauss was gay, are not equal to knowledge that Jim Jordan knew that Dr. Strauss was sexually abusing, fondling, or groping his wrestlers? If anything, it muddies the waters, making it difficult to determine after 25+ years what was locker room talk, a joke or exaggeration, and hard facts.

Did Dr. Strauss grope or fondle wrestlers? By my count three wrestlers have said he did that or touched them inappropriately. Let the investigation continue so the truth can be known."

Interesting observations. I think you hit the nail on the head. Anyone who doesn't think this is, or at least has become, politically oriented is naive.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on July 8, 2018

Regardless of which side it is, I hope the truth gets cleared up.

One thing that's been discussed a little bit here but more so on other forums is the fact that Mike DiSabato tagged Jeff Jordan and Rudis in his tweet about the issue: https://mobile.twitter.com/TheNotoriousMHD/status/1014150708541652995

Aside from any personal dislike of Rudis and the Jordans that he may have, is there any logical reason to include Rudis and Jeff Jordan in this? From what I read, Mike DiSabato contacted Jeff Jordan about it, and Jeff's concise response was that he never attended or coached at OSU.

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on July 8, 2018

Quote from Joe Kinzel's post:

"

Interesting observations. I think you hit the nail on the head. Anyone who doesn't think this is, or at least has become, politically oriented is naive."

Yeah, I mean there are alllegedly a dozen sports involved which would mean several head coaches, but so far the focus is on ONE assistant coach.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on July 9, 2018

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-wrestling/2018/07/94255/six-former-ohio-state-wrestlers-defend-jim-jordan-none-of-us-saw-or-heard-of-abuse-of-ohio-state-wrestlers?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on July 10, 2018

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-wrestling/2018/07/94255/six-former-ohio-state-wrestlers-defend-jim-jordan-none-of-us-saw-or-heard-of-abuse-of-ohio-state-wrestlers?amp&__twitter_impression=true"

I wonder why the accusers have chosen now as the time to report and Jordan as the brunt of their accusations...🤔

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on July 10, 2018

It seems as though at least some of the seven accusers are saying Jim Jordan knew about the abuse because there were wrestlers joking about it in the locker room and he must have been present at least some of the times the wrestlers were joking about it.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next