Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Today's NY Times
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 2, 2018

Mike Rodriguez posted this but I thought it needed it's own thread.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/02/us/politics/ohio-state-wrestlers-abuse-me-too.html

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brandon Gambucci added to this discussion on August 2, 2018

Wow. That is just awful.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on August 2, 2018

This is a particularly depraved way to be sinned against. I'm sorry this happened, M-Rod.

You have never given me any reason to doubt your credibility in the least and we appreciate what you bring to the forum in regard to thoughtful insight and articulation; since you spoke to the NYT, I'll inquire with the understanding that you may not (or cannot) reply:

Are you comfortable with how this is being addressed?

(Narrative, political angle, those who have been speaking for the alleged victims, etc.)

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on August 2, 2018

Justin...I’m glad you asked, as you seem to be one of the ones on this forum who was particularly skeptical. I’ll start with the people who have been speaking for the victims. While that number is obviously growing, Mike DiSabato is the name I assume you’re asking about?

I think that Mike's history with the university coupled with his litigious past and his aggressive nature leave him open for attacks from people trying to deny what happened. But part of me has the utmost respect for him. If he doesn’t come out with this in april...all by himself, I would’ve taken this to my grave. Is he a sympathetic victim? Maybe not. Why the hell does he have to be? Does Yetts serving time mean that his story is false? It has been sobering to watch an anonymous posters tearing these men down because they’ve had a checkered past. I’ll tell you, while I’ve never sued anyone and I’ve never been convicted of a crime, I’ve lived far from a perfect life. I’ve made more mistakes than I could list. We’ve done it to female victims for decades...what was she wearing, why was she even there in the first place, what’s her motivation for comeong forward? It’s crap, and the people who do it should take a long hard look in the mirror.

As far as the political angle, I am of the opinion that the Jordan stuff just muddies the waters. People run to their political corners and fight like hell against the “other side”. I do not hold Jordan responsible for what happened to me. He was a small cog in a huge wheel that collectively failed the athletes at Ohio State. He was only a few years older than us while I was there. It was weird and taboo and sorted. He did the best he could. Maybe he didn’t know the extent of what was going on...but to say he knew nothing? That’s what gave the story political legs. He should be standing shoulder to shoulder with his wrestlers, leading the charge against what happened, sponsoring legislation to make sure it never happens again. He could’ve been honest and still show strength.

As far as the narrative, it’s accurate. Period. This is what happened. The inappropriate touching during physicals, the opportunistic hand jobs, the culture of deviant behavior in Larkins Hall, the showers, the sauna, all of it happened.

For the record, I am not affiliated with Mike DiSabato’s group or his lawyers. I am currently not part of any lawsuit against the university.

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on August 2, 2018

Yeah, this is all sad and utterly disturbing. Feel terribly for the victims.

If anyone at OSU ignored specific allegations brought by victims back then they need dealt with to the fullest extent that the law allows.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on August 2, 2018

Thank you, M-Rod. “Skeptical” isn’t the word, but I think I understand what you mean.

It seems Strauss was very intentional about hedging meeting the actual elements for a noteworthy criminal charge.

The Nassar and Sanders investigations had 3 things this does not so far: a recent time table, penetration, and children.

More later...

John Flanigan added to this discussion on August 3, 2018

Mike, thank you for your courage in speaking up as I am sure this was very difficult for you to do. While I am not a prolific poster, I do read many of the threads here since it helps keep me updated on wrestling. If I may ask and if you are inclined to answer, is this something that caused you to leave OSU wrestling?

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on August 3, 2018

John...I don’t mind answering questions at all. It’s out there now, I might as well be up front about the whole thing. As to your question, at the time I didn’t use it as the reason I left. I was struggling in a lot of areas and I outwardly blamed leaving the university on those reasons. Looking back, I can see that it played a large role in me leaving. I think it’s telling that I never went back to practice after that. I never even told Russ I was leaving. I just stopped going to class and stopped going to practice. I never saw Strauss’ face again until Mike made his first allegations and his picture was in the paper.

John Flanigan added to this discussion on August 6, 2018

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"John...I don’t mind answering questions at all. It’s out there now, I might as well be up front about the whole thing. As to your question, at the time I didn’t use it as the reason I left. I was struggling in a lot of areas and I outwardly blamed leaving the university on those reasons. Looking back, I can see that it played a large role in me leaving. I think it’s telling that I never went back to practice after that. I never even told Russ I was leaving. I just stopped going to class and stopped going to practice. I never saw Strauss’ face again until Mike made his first allegations and his picture was in the paper."

Thank you Mike. I just think it is good to get the information out there. Society spends so much time discussing issues that affect girls/women that we can lose focus on how men are affected. The whole macho image and being strong, it's important that we understand the repercussions to young men. Not only for sexual abuse, but things like body image as well.

► Add to the Discussion