Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: The Inside Trip podcast
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on August 15, 2018

#DotNet contributors Ben Watson & Brandon Olinger have had their podcast going for quite some time now and have racked up just over 50 episodes. The guys cover a great deal of wrestlng - NCAA, international, womens, and throw in a little tomfollery to induce a hearty chuckle.

The most recent episodes (episodes 64 & 65), however, covered a difficult off-the-mat subject matter but (episode 64) was delivered with class and care that it deserves an ear. Absolutely fantastic job, gentlemen.

I am preparing to listen to episode 65 over the next 24 hours and look forward to the #DotNet’s very own Michael Rodriguez sharing, in a dialogue format, his experiences while at OHST during the late 80s/early 90s.

Hats off to all parties involved.

<DonsEarBudsAndCracksAHighLife>

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 16, 2018

https://soundcloud.com/theinsidetrip/ep-65

Ben, Brandon, and Michael did a great job on this podcast.

M-Rod: I wish your message would be the one getting national attention. IMHO, it is targeted in the proper direction.

Last edited by Brady Hiatt on August 16, 2018; edited 1 time in total

Rex Holman added to this discussion on August 16, 2018

Listened to it in its' entirety.

Great interview and information.

MRod-

You are an excellent voice to talk about this matter as you are thoughtful and well reasoned.

There is no doubt (in my mind) that your and Nutter accounts are true.

As far as Mark Schultz goes, that guy has a long and conflicted past.

I learned awhile ago that that "heroes" in sport was a personal attribution and projection of their skills on the mat and little more.

Thankful that wrestling has evolved and the culture continues to improve.

Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on August 16, 2018

Thanks for posting and I appreciate you guys taking a listen.

MRod was great, plain and simple. He did a great job of articulating a complex situation while also being able to comfortably speak about his own direct experiences. We felt privileged to have him join us.

The more he talked the harder I found it was for me to stay focused on what the next question would/should be, as I found myself falling into deep thought about what it would be like for myself or my children to be in a situation like.

MRod is 100% correct; it's so easy for us to say we would react a certain way but until you are actually in that situation a person will never be able to fully comprehend the paralysis it can cause do the unfamiliar thoughts and emotions racing through you at that moment.

Thanks MRod for your willingness to speak about the situation. It was great to meet and chat with you.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 16, 2018

M-rod has shown rare courage to step forward publicly...but "I'm wrong a lot". ;)

Shawn Andrews added to this discussion on August 17, 2018

Always love listening to the The Inside Trip boys and thier podcast, thanks to Mike Rod for your courage and honesty for sharing your experience.

Lou Demas added to this discussion on August 21, 2018

Michael R.

When I was in the Marine Corps there was a Navy corpsman who had a lot of locker room talk about him, he would even shower in the Marine Corps Barracks after some morning runs, sometimes rather than go back to his Navy barracks and that offended some of the Marines because of his feminine nature.

He had a lot of the same complaints examinations took too ect. If you had to go see him for something, everybody would bust your balls, did he check you for a hernia or ddid he check your prostate.

Now this was during the don't tell don't ask era of the military. I haven't heard about him sexually assaulting anyone. The fact of the matter is we treated him like crap we probably owe him an apology. Most likely he was a closeted gay male serving his country.

I mention this because in the podcast you said,the reporter ask the smart question Looking Back Now with what you know, would you believe it was in his character to sexually assault someone? I think this was a trick question should all effeminate males that straight males feel awkward around be suspect for sexually assaulting someone? The bigger question should convicted Dr in the court of public opinion without having all the facts come forward.

The truth is funny maybe Mike Disabato has sued Ohio state twice because of what happened to him, perhaps just greedy or maybe Yetts is lying and he's just trying to cash in. In your case Michael it is not uncommon for males to get an erection during examination and reason to examine your genitals area is that with the condition you had they will check for secondary infections caused by scratching and you just thought it was sexual assault because of his feminine nature or maybe the doctors got one of the weirdest sexual fetishes I ever heard of by wanting to masturbate people diseased genitals.

My point is Jim Jordans between a rock and a hard place and the only prudent thing to do is to stay out of it and let the system at Ohio State investigated and determine what the truth is not lend his political might to convicting the doctor without an investigation on something that happened 25 years ago that you even said it wasn't even in his thought process to think that could be going on to his wrestlers

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on August 21, 2018

Lou...I see what you’re saying. I want to be clear. There’s a HUGE DIFFERENCE between a gay man (closeted or not) and a sexual predator. This man was a sexual predator. I did my best in the interview to absolve Congressman Jordan of responsibility. I stand by my account that to be part of that program, you KNEW there was something not right about Dr Strauss. And I do not/did not include the fact that he was gay into the “not right” category. It was something else. It’s like all this recent chatter about the abuses in the Catholic Church. I hear these talking heads say, “let the priests marry” and, “let women be priests”, as if what those priests did was because of an regular sex drive put in an irregular situation. No. Those men were predators. If they weren’t clergyman, they would’ve found some other way to put themselves in proximity to children, and in a position of power and influence. Case in point, Dr Strauss, after resigning from tOSU, moved to California to work with at risk youth.

Jordan didn’t do anything “wrong”. I don’t like the way he’s handling now, but I don’t blame him for doing what he’s doing. This simply isn’t about him.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on August 21, 2018

You brought up that Dr. Strauss went to Cali to work with at risk youth - I hadn't heard that before. Do you know if there are / were accusations of that same / similar type in Cali as well? Something that probably should, if it hasn't already, be looked into.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on August 21, 2018

Brady...I read that fact from Dr Strauss’ obituary from 2005. I don’t have a link. I’ll try to find one.

Lou Demas added to this discussion on August 21, 2018

Mike R.

I agree there's a huge difference between a gay man and a sexual predator. The problem is the way he was described in articles and in forum as feminine, soft hands would get way too close to you.

I work in the nightclub industry you just described quite a few of my customers I know, I've never thought because they have soft hands, feminine little too touchy-feely and they have no concept of personal bubble, hey this guy might be a sexual predator.

It would take one sharp reporter to ask the question what made you think something that was "not right" about him that he might be sexually assaulting your athletes and why didn't you do anything about it and even if you didn't realize it then, now in retrospect what thing screams to you that hey he was sexually assaulting my wrestlers as you look back now?

Well I overheard my wrestler say derogatory things about him insinuating he was gay and derogatory things about him being gay he was effeminate, had soft hands, he would get too close during physical exams in which he has to examine you for skin herpes impetigo ringworm we'd prefer he stay 2 to 3 feet away while making diagnosis.

So do you think the LGBTQ is not going to land blast him over that,screaming Christian Evangelical congressman believes all males who are feminine with soft hands and our little too touchy-feely have to be sexual predators.

I think the best thing you said is, this isn't about Jim Jordan and if you leave Jim Jordan out of it you don't have to worry about this conspiracy that the right-wing political machine got to Mark Coleman or the same people that handled the Trump dossier are also Mike Disabato's attorneys.

You can Focus on the merits of the case, not on someone else's speculations of if they thought what happened to you happened or not

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on August 22, 2018

Quote from Lou Demas's post:

"Mike R.

I agree there's a huge difference between a gay man and a sexual predator. The problem is the way he was described in articles and in forum as feminine, soft hands would get way too close to you.

I work in the nightclub industry you just described quite a few of my customers I know, I've never thought because they have soft hands, feminine little too touchy-feely and they have no concept of personal bubble, hey this guy might be a sexual predator.

It would take one sharp reporter to ask the question what made you think something that was "not right" about him that he might be sexually assaulting your athletes and why didn't you do anything about it and even if you didn't realize it then, now in retrospect what thing screams to you that hey he was sexually assaulting my wrestlers as you look back now?

Well I overheard my wrestler say derogatory things about him insinuating he was gay and derogatory things about him being gay he was effeminate, had soft hands, he would get too close during physical exams in which he has to examine you for skin herpes impetigo ringworm we'd prefer he stay 2 to 3 feet away while making diagnosis.

So do you think the LGBTQ is not going to land blast him over that,screaming Christian Evangelical congressman believes all males who are feminine with soft hands and our little too touchy-feely have to be sexual predators.

I think the best thing you said is, this isn't about Jim Jordan and if you leave Jim Jordan out of it you don't have to worry about this conspiracy that the right-wing political machine got to Mark Coleman or the same people that handled the Trump dossier are also Mike Disabato's attorneys.

You can Focus on the merits of the case, not on someone else's speculations of if they thought what happened to you happened or not"

Lou, I'm pretty sure the reason Mike's saying that Strauss was a sexual predator was because he masturbated some of his patients, not because he was effeminate.

Lou Demas added to this discussion on August 22, 2018

Jeff

I don't know how far back you read but the point of contention isn't whether or not dr. Strauss sexually assaulted his patients, it's whether or not Jim Jordan can say yeah I had a feeling that was going on then or I look back in retrospect and based on what I know about that man's character I would jump to the conclusion now that he was sexually assaulting athletes at Ohio State.

So if you want to take a shot at it, you can list things that are dead giveaways that someone is a sexual predator and we can go to Jim Jordan so he can introduce some legislation,so we can have these people arrested.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on August 22, 2018

Quote from Lou Demas's post:

"Jeff

I don't know how far back you read but the point of contention isn't whether or not dr. Strauss sexually assaulted his patients, it's whether or not Jim Jordan can say yeah I had a feeling that was going on then or I look back in retrospect and based on what I know about that man's character I would jump to the conclusion now that he was sexually assaulting athletes at Ohio State.

So if you want to take a shot at it, you can list things that are dead giveaways that someone is a sexual predator and we can go to Jim Jordan so he can introduce some legislation,so we can have these people arrested."

Lou, yes I did read each of the posts and listened to the entire podcast. I guess I just didn't understand why you brought in your nightclub example when Mike himself already agreed that he didn't think Jordan did anything wrong at the time (at least not any more wrong than any of the other coaches of the 14 affected sports). And no, I was not suggesting that any legislation be introduced on this matter (not sure how you jumped to that conclusion about me). I agree that Jordan didn't do anything wrong at the time, but I sympathize with the victims as well. Seems like it was just a misunderstanding and I'll leave it at that.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on August 22, 2018

Lou, more than sufficient legislation/laws exists by every metric to arrest sexually oreinted offenders....did you mean something else or did I misunderstand?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next