Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Discussion Topic: tOSU recruiting moving forward
Jared Ball added to this discussion on December 30, 2018

I'm always interested to see where the Bucks strategically see themselves in the national landscape for the top recruits. tOSU definitely has established themselves as one of the elite recruiting powerhouses in the D1 landscape. So the question is when you get your pick of the liter, so to speak, where do you begin. In looking at the Buckeye roster, and based on the recruits they've pulled the last two years, we may expect a smaller haul of recruits in the coming two seasons. Or maybe not... IMO with the addition of Kirklievet and Hoffman's ability to maintain 184, 197 seems to be the recruiting focus for 2019. So the question I pose to Buckeye fans is "If you get to chose, who is your targeted guy moving forward?"

1A.) Jr., A.J. Ferrari- Blair Academy, #3 P4P, #1 overall 195 in America
1A.) Jr., Braxton Amos-Parkersburg WV, #5 P4P, #1 overall 220 in America

Amos has been a known a little longer than Ferrari, but Ferrari (like Karchla) has been phenomenal in the last calendar year. Amos has been tied to tOSU for a couple of years. I believe he has trained up at the RTC, and even competed for Team Ohio at Fargo (only because WV didn't have a team).
Ferrari is a Florida transplant, as is his brother Anthony (who the Bucks should be eyeing for 157), and may be one of the most athletic upper weights to enter the national conversation in recent years.

Who ya got?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on December 30, 2018

C. Both? Or am I just becoming a spoiled product of the Anthony Ralph affect? Lol

In all seriousness, they both have upside for the Bucks to recruit. But I have to wonder, is Amos trending towards eventually becoming a 285 or is 197 an easy enough cut for him? With Kerk coming in I don't think there is room for two top flight 285's. I also wonder if Hoffman will hold 184 for his career?

Don Bork added to this discussion on December 30, 2018

Of course sometimes wrestlers maintain a weight just because of who is at the next weight up. Should Ferrari or Amos be there that might be the case.

Don Bork added to this discussion on December 30, 2018

Of course sometimes wrestlers maintain a weight just because of who is at the next weight up. Should Ferrari or Amos be there that might be the case.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on December 30, 2018

I believe Amos wrestled 92 kg (202.8 lb) at UWW Cadet Nationals this past June, so 197 seems possible.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 16, 2019

Dan Fickel tells me, Ohio state just got a commitment from Jesse Vasquez of California. He is only a junior and is a big-time talent.

Jesse Vasquez 138. He just starting competing this year after transfer to Excelsior charter school in CA. Second at super 32. Fickel has him fourth for all class and number one for juniors. Think Willie has him second in all class.

Update. ...Dan now modifies, says not entirely 100%, but it was news out there at one point, was reported.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 17, 2019

im also thinking ohio st might well be after a junior Julian Tagg in addition to either Amos or A.J. Ferraro, both seniors

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on January 17, 2019

I saw a tweet from Jesse on the Twitters, seemed to indicate he’d be joining tOSU, but it quickly disappeared.

I wonder if Dan is referencing the mysterious tweet, or actual intel of a commit?

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on January 17, 2019

I too noticed the tweet but haven't seen any other buzz about it on twitter.

Jaggers usually tweets when OSU lands a big recruit- And this would be HUGE. (See Kharchla) Nothing on his end either nor any articles on Flo.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on January 17, 2019

I would love to see Ferrari in a Buckeye singlet. I love his style and his attitude. I think the future is bright for this one in wrestling and beyond. He's cocky almost to the point of arrogance, but it's not because it's 100% genuine I'm going to be a world beater attitude or rather, I'm paying a price and I'm going to collect on it.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on January 17, 2019

https://www.twincities.com/2019/01/16/post-surgery-simley-heavyweight-greg-kerkvliet-read-to-return-to-the-mat-and-dominate/

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on January 17, 2019

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"https://www.twincities.com/2019/01/16/post-surgery-simley-heavyweight-greg-kerkvliet-read-to-return-to-the-mat-and-dominate/"

That's coming back fast from an ACL/ MCL

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 17, 2019

Quote from Freddy Carr's post:

"I saw a tweet from Jesse on the Twitters, seemed to indicate he’d be joining tOSU, but it quickly disappeared.

I wonder if Dan is referencing the mysterious tweet, or actual intel of a commit?"

Dan said his referance was an article posted on the Calif Grappler- since deleted. ...Jaggers wont be tweeting about Jesse regardless, hes only a junior, cant sign yet.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on January 17, 2019

Quote from Rick Wasmer's post:

"

Quote from Justin Hayes's post:

"https://www.twincities.com/2019/01/16/post-surgery-simley-heavyweight-greg-kerkvliet-read-to-return-to-the-mat-and-dominate/"

That's coming back fast from an ACL/ MCL"

That seems way too early. I'm all for putting it on the line but why jepardize the future to crush a few more high school guys and risk re injuring the ACL?

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on January 18, 2019

What do the Buckeyes do with Kerkvliet next year? Is the plan for him to redshirt or is the mindset to allow him to wrestle-off immediately? I'm guessing TR is going to put the best team on the mat regardless but want to see if anyone had some insight.

Also, who will it be next year at 285, Singletary or Kerkvliet?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next