Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Discussion Topic: tOSU recruiting moving forward
Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on July 20, 2019

The Buckeyes have a had a ton of success with wrestlers from Division III even just since 2000. Logan Stieber, Tommy Rowlands, J Jaggers, Nathan Tomasello, Kollin Moore, Hunter Stieber, Cam Tessari, etc.

---

I don’t know what weight class Gallagher will end up at but with an incredible talent like that, just get him in the room and whatever weight he goes, he’ll be awesome.

---

As for what weight class Shumate ends up at... given his frame, I imagine he’ll be a 197 in college. He could be at 195 for four years in high school with his drill partner and fellow double All-American, Riley Ucker, at 220 for four years.

Of course there will be barriers in front of him/them either way.

For Shumate, if he stays at 195, his toughest match at the state tournament this year was an 8-7 decision in the semifinals against Ethan Hatcher. Hatcher went on to place third at state and, commit to wrestle at Cornell University, and this week, placed third in the country in Junior Boys' Freestyle in Fargo. A rematch between the two would be a great one.

If he goes 220, the returning field is wide open as all eight of the state placewinners were seniors.

If they venture up to 285, there is a crowded field headlined by defending state champion Jacob Padilla (who Cory said above is being actively recruited by Ohio State). Joining him are returning state placewinners Max Millin, Dan Bucknavich, and Omari Green, along with returning state qualifiers Yousef Awad, Jake Burns, Seth Frantz, and Donovan Hardin...

...and Paul Haywood of Centerville. Haywood was absolute man among boys as he won two consecutive OAC middle school state crowns (at 209 in 2017 and at 249 in 2018). He is an incredibly skilled young heavyweight. I would not have been shocked if he was in the mix to give Padilla -- also a two-time OAC champ also if I’m not mistaken -- a challenge even this year. Unfortunately an injury he sustained during football kept him off the mat this year. (And with his natural size and skill, football may be the path he goes in college.) He won the 2017 title with four pins in 2:21 or less and one 16-1 technical fall. In 2018, he pinned his way through in 29, 17, 77, 41, and 70 seconds. Haywood is the real deal and would be a true full 285 for all four years of college if he wrestles instead of playing football.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rob Wagner added to this discussion on July 24, 2019

I read a post from Jason Welch formerly of Northwestern, that Alex Felix has transferred to wrestle for him at San Francisco State.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 24, 2019

Quote from Rob Wagner's post:

"I read a post from Jason Welch formerly of Northwestern, that Alex Felix has transferred to wrestle for him at San Francisco State."

Good move for Felix. Solid kid but nothing but depth for the Bucks.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 7, 2019

hot skinny from Dano... oldtimers on here know him, yeh hes still around. Between lounge acts in Vegas he took time to call me. Said he hears rumblings... rumblings with street cred (thats how Dano talks, Lithuanian, hometown Euclid boy makes good, once opened for Wayne Newton).

Dano says, "theres some serious sheeeeeeet going down in the Braxton Amos- A.J. Ferrari sweepstakes. Gamechanger, Okla St could --just possibly could-- get Both." #bookemdano

Amos—-
VT, WI, PSU, OK ST, Ohio St

Ferrari—-
OK ST, PSU, Ohio St

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 8, 2019

Interesting info, BP. Oklahoma State has struggled a bit to keep up with PSU and tOSU in the recruiting wars. Obviously, they're doing some formidable work to possibly lineup both these studs.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 8, 2019

Hank, latest AmWrNews August issue excellent analysis by Denny Diehl on recruiting, excerpt:

NCAA finishes
NCAAs PS OhS OkS IA
2019 1 2 3 4
2018 1 2 13 3
2017 1 2 3 4
2016 1 3 2 5
By recruiting rank chart shown, the
Buckeyes own three Top 4 classes in the last
four.

AWN Recr Rk '19 '18 '17 '16
1 Ohio St 1 2 4 8
2 Penn St 22 1 3 1
3 Iowa 20 5 2 5
4 Okla St 8 12 6 14
While the NCAA finishes speak for
themselves and are hardly a surprise, it does
appear that Oklahoma State – a former recruiting
dynasty in prior years – may be outperforming
its four-year recruiting, except for 2018 finish.

Recent history shows that Penn State has not
needed to accept significant transfers – but the
other three have, each adding several key lineup
additions the last few years.
Ohio State’s best-ever overall class was
landed this year, after Penn State’s last year
was rated one of the all-time best (six Top
20’s). So good that half of it was “grey-shirted”
or deferred a year, a trend likely to continue
nationally. Greyshirting has been crucial to
Cornell skirting Ivy policy against redshirting,
with the Big Red landing five Top 5 classes in
the past ten.
This year, for the first ever the Buckeyes
landed three Top 6 seniors; last year a stunning
eight Top 100’s, with two Top 11 and five Top
40 (we like using InterMat and Flo polls for
relative rank).

Brian Mathews added to this discussion on August 20, 2019

Seth Shumate with the very early commit... nice.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on August 20, 2019

This has to be the earliest commit the Bucks have ever landed. I seem to remember the Decatur’s committing early but was it prior to the start of their sophomore campaign? Shumate has certainly had an impressive last five months. He definitely has to be the most accomplished cadet eligible guy in Ohio right now. Does this impact Amos or Ferrari one way or another? Dano seemed to make me think both might be a long shot, but Amos seemed to make all the sense in the world for the Bucks. This, predictably, has been one of the quieter recruiting seasons for the Bucks in TRs tenure. Is this a class where the Bucks hall some second tier guys at least?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on August 27, 2019

I see on Iowa forums that #10 recruit in 2021 class Sokol de-committed from Iowa and visited tOSU and they also believe Vasquez is coming to tOSU. Bob or anyone else have any info on this?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 27, 2019

Quote from Jim Kessen's post:

"I see on Iowa forums that #10 recruit in 2021 class Sokol de-committed from Iowa and visited tOSU and they also believe Vasquez is coming to tOSU. Bob or anyone else have any info on this?"

all true-- Sokol only a junior so would be part of 2021 grand plans. Cadet World team member, fargo cadet champ--- here the angle, from same high school as Kerkvliet, Simley Minn... i heard he had a great visit to ohio st, they want him.

Vasquez not out of picture yet for 2020, but i think Michigan is right up there maybe at the top.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on August 27, 2019

InterMat is showing Jesse Vasquez as an Ohio State commit. I remember at the beginning of the year, there was a lot of buzz that he had committed, but nothing was confirmed on any of the sites. And now, there's this...

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 28, 2019

Quote from Nicholas Sestito's post:

"InterMat is showing Jesse Vasquez as an Ohio State commit. I remember at the beginning of the year, there was a lot of buzz that he had committed, but nothing was confirmed on any of the sites. And now, there's this..."

can u direct us to that confirm? i havent seen it or heard of it-- yet.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on August 28, 2019

"InterMat is showing Jesse Vasquez as an Ohio State commit. I remember at the beginning of the year, there was a lot of buzz that he had committed, but nothing was confirmed on any of the sites. And now, there's this..."

Pretty sure that's a mistake that hasn't been corrected. Flo does not have him committed anywhere.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on September 3, 2019

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"

Pretty sure that's a mistake that hasn't been corrected. Flo does not have him committed anywhere."

InterMat's rankings are pretty outdated also, haven't been updated since April. They're starting lag behind some other sites with their content\rankings.

Don Bork added to this discussion on September 3, 2019

Weight class rankings are from April, recruiting rankings were done August 12, so pretty up to date. They do continue to have Vasquez listed as a TOSU commit though. That seems to be contradictory to information from other sites. Just looked again. Vasquez is no longer listed as a TOSU commit.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next