Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: OSU/PSU
Luke Moore added to this discussion on January 14, 2019

Adding to the thread about Steveson,and the antics of some other wrestlers around the country, I think it is pretty terrible to watch. I don't mind seeing a kid get pumped with a big win, get the crowd into it, etc. However, what these guys are doing is trash.

It makes me reflect on the 2 top programs in the country. I can't think of a time when they have show boated, or taunted an opponent like this (maybe Hall when he won over BoJo in the finals).

This just goes to show you how far good leadership and examples can take you. Ryan and Sanderson are truly classy coaches and expect that from their team. On top of that, the young guys have gotten to watch and learn from guys like Snyder, NaTo, Stieber, etc. who were all animals on the mat, but won (and occasionally lost) with class. Kudos to both programs.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Alex Creech added to this discussion on January 14, 2019

Quote from Luke Moore's post:

"Adding to the thread about Steveson,and the antics of some other wrestlers around the country, I think it is pretty terrible to watch. I don't mind seeing a kid get pumped with a big win, get the crowd into it, etc. However, what these guys are doing is trash.

It makes me reflect on the 2 top programs in the country. I can't think of a time when they have show boated, or taunted an opponent like this (maybe Hall when he won over BoJo in the finals).

This just goes to show you how far good leadership and examples can take you. Ryan and Sanderson are truly classy coaches and expect that from their team. On top of that, the young guys have gotten to watch and learn from guys like Snyder, NaTo, Stieber, etc. who were all animals on the mat, but won (and occasionally lost) with class. Kudos to both programs."

Agreed.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 14, 2019

So along these lines, I watched a clip of Ashnault v Gfeller from the Rutgers/Okie State dual. It was a good bout and Ashnault had to come back from an early deficit. When it was over, Ashnault celebrated by doing the Okie State 6 shooter thing with his hands towards their bench. Gfeller was ticked and shoved him. I thought Ashnault was out of line and understand why Gfeller was ticked. Anyone else see it? Am I too old fashioned?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 14, 2019

I saw it.

I didn’t think too much of it other than the fact that he pointed at the coaches. Not a fan of that. (Reminds me of Micic(?) looking straight at Brands and doing whatever he did.

I did, however, listen to Coach Goodale & Anthony Ashnault’s press conference, and I loved that! “Look - it happened. No direct disrespect intended. It’s over. Let’s move on.” Coach Goodale actually commented about the respect he and Ashnault has cmfor Coach Smith.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 14, 2019

I saw it also - and AA doing it directly towards opposing bench is where the problem was - IMHO.

Gef - did what I'd expect him to do.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on January 14, 2019

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"So along these lines, I watched a clip of Ashnault v Gfeller from the Rutgers/Okie State dual. It was a good bout and Ashnault had to come back from an early deficit. When it was over, Ashnault celebrated by doing the Okie State 6 shooter thing with his hands towards their bench. Gfeller was ticked and shoved him. I thought Ashnault was out of line and understand why Gfeller was ticked. Anyone else see it? Am I too old fashioned?"

I saw it and I am right with you so, I guess we are both old fashioned.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on January 14, 2019

Trash talking and disrespecting your opponents is a part of sports nowadays unfortunately.
I remember a time when it was confined to the WWF. Today, the UFC is just as bad.
I hope and pray it never finds its way into the sport of real wrestling.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 14, 2019

Quote from Joe Kinzel's post:

"Trash talking and disrespecting your opponents is a part of sports nowadays unfortunately.
I remember a time when it was confined to the WWF. Today, the UFC is just as bad.
I hope and pray it never finds its way into the sport of real wrestling."

McGregor is the catalyst for the obscene trash talk to promote the event. And the patrons in the coliseum go crazy for him!! #ModernDayRome

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"...

Gef - did what I'd expect him to do."

Goodale gave Gfeller a big ol’ hell yeah for doing that too!

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 14, 2019

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

Quote from Joe Kinzel's post:

"Trash talking and disrespecting your opponents is a part of sports nowadays unfortunately.
I hope and pray it never finds its way into the sport of real wrestling."

McGregor is the catalyst for the obscene trash talk to promote the event. And the patrons in the coliseum go crazy for him!! #ModernDayRome"

Actually, this probably started with Ali.

Roe: most people I talk to who live during that generation say the exact same thing.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 15, 2019

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Roe: most people I talk to who live during that generation say the exact same thing."

“...during THAT generation...”. Thanks for that. I turned 55 yesterday.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on January 15, 2019

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"Actually, this probably started with Ali."

Ali wasn't obscene.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on January 15, 2019

I'm in favor of face-smashing, trash-talking, finger-pointing, all of the above. For me, it makes it fun. None of these kids are my sons.

Now, if one of my two boys did it? They'd be in trouble.

Also, this is an emotional sport. These kids are under a ton of pressure. Be emotional. I'm good with it.

I LOVED Gfeller shoving Ashnault.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 15, 2019

Ali understood the art of self promotion and used trash talk to accomplish it. He was also clever about how he did it. The only person who didn't understand what he was up to was Joe Frazier who had trouble forgiving Ali for the things he said. Ali called him an ugly gorilla.

There have always been trash talkers in sport. We're just seeing a resurgence in recent years as we have a Commander in Chief who does it all the time.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next